• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first real shooting class

JimConway

Instructor
Today, a friend mentioned all of the doubt and nervousness, he had about taking his first class. One of the things that worried him the most was that he would embarrass himself in front of a lot of better shooters. I remember the time that I spent talking to him before the actual class.
I just checked my email log for that year and found 26 emails from him, asking various questions.
I thought that it would be interesting for those of you that may be considering training to have people that have training discuss their first class.
To start things off, I will briefly discuss my first class, which was a Defensive Handgun class at Front Sight, in Pahrump, NV.
I thought that the class would be a walk in the park, because I had been carrying for a long time, had good gear, shot almost every week, and read a lot of gun mags. Although, I did reasonably well, I found out that I did not know very much about real shooting, or even the mechanics of pressing a trigger. None of the instructors embarrassed me and they all were very helpful. Lord knows, that they seemed to spend a lot of time correcting my bad habits, all in a very positive way. At the end of the class, I was all pumped up and wanted a great deal more training. In a lot of ways that first class was the beginning of Neshooters, LLC

My first class was about six years ago and was the required class to get my LTC. I was a little nervous for many of the reasons you said above. The class was at S&W and was pretty good but very business like and not much of a chance to correct your mistakes. But I guess the class was not designed for that anyway. Embarrassment is a strong feeling to overcome and probably one on the things that keeps me from looking into things like IDPA.

Even to this day I could definitely use some expert advise on how to improve but cost is usually an issue for me, classes can be very expensive. After I get my M&P45 (hopefully) and the upper for the NES lower I should probably spend my next round of "gun money" on a class.

Training is priceless.

Folks, don't ever be worried about being too embarrassed to go to a firearms class. I've yet to see an Instructor that would make fun of you. There's always somebody there that's struggling to learn, and that's the nature of the beast, so to say.

Remember, it takes more courage to go, than it does to stay home, and either say it's too hard to do, or to say you don't need it.

You DO need it, and it's NOT too hard to do. That speaks for about ANY firearms course. The Instructors WANT to see you do well, and they'll work hard to make that come true.

I agree with everyone here. I am really new to all this myself. Other then to qualify when in the CG Reserves a long time ago, I had never picked up a gun. I just jumped in and looked for every kind of instruction I could get, and then just shoot as frequently as possible. I found people are eager to help, explain and assist, and aren't critical or intimidating. I used to be so nevous, but no more. Having all that instruction, and it continues to this day, is to the best way to go.

It's funny - I had the opposite experience several years ago and am only now looking into getting back into training. I guess like anything, there are bad apples - or perhaps this instructor was having a bad day - maybe he thought he was still a DI in the Army. Having spent most of my life around firearms and carrying for several years - training on my own, I was still nervous going into the class, (as were most of us). Watching this instructor berate an equally nervous class member for ejecting a full mag, didn't help matters much. By the time I got to the line, I had a pit in my stomach. My shots were on target, but all over the place. I dropped a mag while retrieving it from my belt, but continued on. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the instructor and some LEO's and more experienced students - arms folded and chuckling to one another as they watched myself and three other students. At lunch I was out having a smoke and overheard Dan, (can't remember his last name), joking about what a "waste of time" this day was and how he couldn't wait to get home....That did it for me. I quietly packed my range bag and headed for home. I foolishly let that experience sour me to further training and now that I'm a bit older, I'm chomping at the bit to put that experience behind me and elevate myself to the next level.

My first (and so far only) shooting class was a half-day affair run by a guy named Dave Stanford (IPSC veterans may remember him or his name). This was sometime in the late 80's back in the Seattle area. He discussed some legal issues, strategy, equipment, and then ran us through some drills followed by a mock hostage situation where he role-played several parts (I made the head shot at seven yards and saved the hostage). This drill also exposed us to the after-effects of adrenaline rush. Dave was a good instructor and gave what most of us considered to be a good if short class.

I will take another class someday soon.

Of course, an instructor can often make or break progression. I have a great "shoot" instructor, he is encouraging and challenges me every time, and I like challenge. He gives me ways to practice on my own, and teaches me to notice my own behavior and reactions.

On the other hand, I had a not-so-good experience learning to scuba dive with an instructor, which led me to ultimately stop. Not all was lost as I overcame my fear of deep water in spite of it. So, in my usual Pollyanna manner, I look for the good of it. Some things are best left to another time.

Yeah, MassMark, unfortunately, there are jerks out there that think they're Instructors, when they are anything but. They usually don't last long, and a really good program weeds them out.

Folks, when you run into one of these jerks, don't let them get the better of you.

Leaving was probably the right thing. I even suggest later asking for a refund or better, a return to the same class with a different Instructor. One thing for sure, do tell the jerk's higher ups about your experience. A good organization WILL make it right.

And, don't take my word for that, ask Jim Conway what they do when this kind of thing happens. I'm sure they deal with it. I know RWVA (Appleseed) does.

Yeah, MassMark, unfortunately, there are jerks out there that think they're Instructors, when they are anything but. They usually don't last long, and a really good program weeds them out.

Folks, when you run into one of these jerks, don't let them get the better of you.

Leaving was probably the right thing. I even suggest later asking for a refund or better, a return to the same class with a different Instructor. One thing for sure, do tell the jerk's higher ups about your experience. A good organization WILL make it right.

And, don't take my word for that, ask Jim Conway what they do when this kind of thing happens. I'm sure they deal with it. I know RWVA (Appleseed) does.

Great points. This guy was a dink - I understand he's since passed away and is likely berating people in hell... [devil] I never went back, (he ran the joint) and told everyone I knew in Ohio to stay away.

Yeah, it's time. I can only do so much on my own and have likely developed bad habits that I need to undo. It's time to invest more money toward training and less toward equipment...Did I just say that??? [shocked][grin]

My first was with a 22 at Boy Scout Camp. Our instructor was a young ex-Marine firearms instructor and used to run us like boot camp (w/o yelling/cursing) - we loved it. I can still recite range command sequences. One day he brought out his 1911 and shot a smiley face on a target. We then each got one mag practice - no smileys, but we hit paper at 25yd. It was way-cool for us kids (in the early 70s back in Iowa).

Next class was decades later at SIGArms. The first shot was from a revolver - I wondered what the hell was going on, as it was a lot harder than I remembered as a Boy Scout. Then we used 40S&W SIG 229s and I was happy again. Got the bug then!

My first was actually with Jim C and crew and my experience was very much like Jim's first. Although I had all the nervousness that his friend had. My desire for future training was certainly further sparked.

Jim and his crew are great, treat you with respect, not hesitant to show you what you're doing wrong and how to correct, all in a common-sense and helpful manner, etc.

I can't wait for the good weather and get in a few more this summer.

Some folks, myself included, learn quicker with private instruction. I had a negative experience with group instruction and a positive experience with private instruction.

I'm able to make corrections easier and feel less stressed by having a one-on-one training session.

Supermoto headed my first USPSA training / practice. Found out a lot of things I didn't know. Great guy, ridiculous shooter, looking forward to next practice. It was a great help having someone give you pointers. It's always tough learning on your own, so whatever tips/hints/help i can get is greatly appreciated. I plan on taking a defensive course in the near future.

One on One training
There is nothing wrong with one on one training. I do quite a few such sessions every year and enjoy doing them. I do find that this type of training is best for teaching or reenforcing the basics. Someone mentioned that they have less stress this way. That could well be true, but we all need some stress in order to inprove our shooting. Just imagine the stress of a man on man shoot off or of taking a trip through a fun house

My first was actually with Jim C and crew and my experience was very much like Jim's first. Although I had all the nervousness that his friend had. My desire for future training was certainly further sparked.

Jim and his crew are great, treat you with respect, not hesitant to show you what you're doing wrong and how to correct, all in a common-sense and helpful manner, etc.

I can't wait for the good weather and get in a few more this summer.

+1

I was a little nervous before the class, but it turned out for nothing. I still have a slip of paper with 5 or 6 key points from the class that I keep in my safe and work through when I'm doing dryfire exercises. I'd like to take the level 2 course this summer and I want to do some appleseed shoots for my rifle skills.

Back
Top Bottom