my mother in law wants a gun

she lives in florida in a semi gated community where there's been a lot of break ins. she's coming back to MA for a few months and has asked about firearms for when she goes back.

one family member told her "get a shotgun" in true Joe Biden fashion....

I can't see a smallish 62 year old using a shotgun, even a .410GA, call me nuts and I don't prescribe to the notion that a shotgun is great for people who "might miss."

Im suggesting training, of course, but as far as hardware, my thoughts are this -

an AR carbine of some sort, loaded with hollowpoint 5.56
an M1Carbine
Marlin Camp Carbine
Beretta Storm in 9 or .40

any thoughts? Im thinking as ideal as the AR is, its very killy looking for someone who is from MA and otherwise not familiar with firearms.

Depends on her level of commitment.

If it's high, an autoloading pistol is always good. Something easy to field strip. 9mm. Maybe a Glock or Beretta 92FS.

If it's low, you can't beat a revolver. Maybe a S&W 686+ or Ruger GP100.

I wouldn't scoff at a 9mm carbine for home defense
easy to load, easy to aim, easy to shoot, very manageable recoil, easy follow up shots
but if she wants to carry it too there may be an issue [laugh]

she lives in florida in a semi gated community where there's been a lot of break ins. she's coming back to MA for a few months and has asked about firearms for when she goes back.

one family member told her "get a shotgun" in true Joe Biden fashion....

I can't see a smallish 62 year old using a shotgun, even a .410GA, call me nuts and I don't prescribe to the notion that a shotgun is great for people who "might miss."

Im suggesting training, of course, but as far as hardware, my thoughts are this -

an AR carbine of some sort, loaded with hollowpoint 5.56
an M1Carbine
Marlin Camp Carbine
Beretta Storm in 9 or .40

any thoughts? Im thinking as ideal as the AR is, its very killy looking for someone who is from MA and otherwise not familiar with firearms.
Tell her to get an alarm system.

I can't see a smallish 62 year old using a shotgun

Why not ???

harry_powell-vs-rachel_cooper-064.jpg

Remington’s Managed-Recoil Buckhammer slugs.with a Remington 870 Express Youth Synthetic Combo, 20 ga. in pink of course.

M870ExpressCompactPink_81150_sm.ashx

Last edited:
A good friend of mine got a gun for his mother in law.

He said it was the best trade he ever made...................... [wink]

Oh yeah, another vote for a SA/DA revolver. The original point and click interface.

Last edited:
I'm thinking small revolver for a small 62 year old lady.

This. I would vote for Ruger SP101 maybe in a 4"-5" barrel.

Much simpler than a semi-auto and depending upon whether or not she has arthritic hands or what, loading/unloading and racking the slide may be an issue.

My Mom's kinda frail but she can handle the Mossberg 500 .410 no problem.

View attachment 97876
This. An excellent choice for her, IMHO.

Revolver, easy to manage and reliable.

And this too. While I don't consider 62 old, if she has any hand problems or strength issues, I would go with a K-frame S&W.

+++

ETA: If an AR is really the very best fit for this particular woman, I'm thinking she would already own one.

Last edited:
From a practical standpoint as far as long guns go I think a KISS AR would be a no brainer. You can get a lightweight AR around 6lbs, 30 rounds, easy as hell to shoot.

A lot of woman may be "intimidated" by them, but as soon as they go to the range they realize how easy/ergonomic they are, and no more convincing needs to be done. Equally important is she finds a good class/instructor for whatever she gets.

Pump guns under stress/without practice/without strength tend to get bound up. A mossy 500 will be more unwieldly and less ergonomic than an AR. I think the AR wins out in every respect... my .002

Mike

From a practical standpoint as far as long guns go I think a KISS AR would be a no brainer. You can get a lightweight AR around 6lbs, 30 rounds, easy as hell to shoot.

A lot of woman may be "intimidated" by them, but as soon as they go to the range they realize how easy/ergonomic they are, and no more convincing needs to be done. Equally important is she finds a good class/instructor for whatever she gets.

Pump guns under stress/without practice/without strength tend to get bound up. A mossy 500 will be more unwieldly and less ergonomic than an AR. I think the AR wins out in every respect... my .002

Mike

This.

However, since it's a free state, what about a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom