my mother in law wants a gun

I set my mom up with a 6" GP100 loaded with 38 +P

my thinking:
Snubbies are too hard to aim with a 2" site radius
semi handguns are too complicated for a very casual user
pump shotguns too damn big and too much boom
semi auto rifles, manual of arms too damn complicated for a casual user

Last edited:
Goggle her area and see if there is a place that rents and/or offers some sort of class for her to go to. Hopefully she can get a little training and hopefully try a few different types.

If shes on a tight budget and can't handle recoil, for about $200, a 10/22 carbine stuffed with a bx25 magazine can make a formidable weapon, and one she will enjoy practicing with.

Goggle her area and see if there is a place that rents and/or offers some sort of class for her to go to. Hopefully she can get a little training and hopefully try a few different types.

This. When I took the mandatory class here in MA, there were a couple of older women there who had obviously never shot a gun before that class (which didn't involve live fire). If you don't know how to use it, it is not gonna do you much good.

she lives in florida in a semi gated community where there's been a lot of break ins. she's coming back to MA for a few months and has asked about firearms for when she goes back.

one family member told her "get a shotgun" in true Joe Biden fashion....

I can't see a smallish 62 year old using a shotgun, even a .410GA, call me nuts and I don't prescribe to the notion that a shotgun is great for people who "might miss."

Im suggesting training, of course, but as far as hardware, my thoughts are this -

an AR carbine of some sort, loaded with hollowpoint 5.56
an M1Carbine
Marlin Camp Carbine
Beretta Storm in 9 or .40

any thoughts? Im thinking as ideal as the AR is, its very killy looking for someone who is from MA and otherwise not familiar with firearms.

Try maneuvering around your house, in rooms with furniture, in hallways, etc. with a rifle and then get back to me on that idea!

Actually.. keltec s2000...

Having owned one, I can tell you that they suck!

This. I would vote for Ruger SP101 maybe in a 4"-5" barrel.

Much simpler than a semi-auto and depending upon whether or not she has arthritic hands or what, loading/unloading and racking the slide may be an issue.

And this too. While I don't consider 62 old, if she has any hand problems or strength issues, I would go with a K-frame S&W.

She should also consider CCW'g as no gun will do her much good if she's in another room when someone breaks in and she can't carry a long gun very well everywhere she goes.

Revolver might indeed be best, but NOT a snubnose (no sights, excessive recoil), a 4" K frame would be ideal.

Maybe a semi-auto, something that she can shoot well and comfortably and is willing to carry.

Almost every gun show in FL has an indoor range as well. I suspect that they rent guns so she should be able to try a few to make an informed decision.

My mom moved from Mass to North Carolina a few years back. She was required to take a safety course and prove that she not only knew how to operate the gun but that she was able to shoot it as well to the LEO.

She's a pistol packing 75 yo living on the coast.

I go with Len, a 4" K frame is ideal, or a Ruger sp101 4". hot 38's or 357mag
something she can handle safely, look at the cylinder and know it's unloaded.
Something she can clear easily, rather than racking a slide, AR charger, or semi auto slide.
Easily bought down there for less than $500 and she can carry it if she chooses.

First thing first, is she going to be able to put one in someone? if she shoots to 'warn' she'll end up in jail. Tell her, the one thing about owning a gun, is you have to had the mindset to be able to pull the trigger.

We have this same conversation every time someone asks, "My wife/girlfriend/mother/daughter wants a gun, what should I get her." And every time I give the same question: it's up to her.

The most important factor in a woman's effectiveness with a firearm is her confidence to use it. If it's a gun she's comfortable operating, that she can take to the range and put shots on target, that she enjoys shooting, than it's the right gun for her. Doesn't matter if it's an AR or a .22 revolver. Only hits count.

So take her to a gun shop, or better yet, a public range with a rental arsenal, start putting guns in her hands, and see what she tells you.

A semi auto handgun might be a great gun, but does she have enough grip strength to reliably rack the slide? I had to cross off half the list of potential guns for my wife because she couldn't rack the slide.

A long arm may be a more effective weapon, but they tend to be very heavy and require two hands (making moving through a house, opening & closing doors, holding a flash light or making a phone call very difficult).

A full sized revolver could be a good solution, if she likes the way it feels in her hands and isn't afraid of the recoil.

But the only way you're going to figure any of that out is by putting the gun in her hands and letter her decide for herself.

And you never know exactly what she's going to like. I had a tiny ex girlfriend (she was 4'11", weighed something around 100lbs) and her handgun of choice turned out to be a big, hulking Beretta 92FS. Everyone here would scream at me for buying her that gun, telling me it's too big for her small hands, but she loved it (and she was very effective shooting it). Go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

I go with Len, a 4" K frame is ideal, or a Ruger sp101 4". hot 38's or 357mag
something she can handle safely, look at the cylinder and know it's unloaded.

Buffalo Bore makes low flash/low recoil .38 special rounds that sound ideal for this situation.

I wouldn't scoff at a 9mm carbine for home defense
easy to load, easy to aim, easy to shoot, very manageable recoil, easy follow up shots
but if she wants to carry it too there may be an issue [laugh]

For home defense absolutely! I have the storm in 9mm and it's super fun to shoot. light weight and almost no recoil. and you can get the 15 round mags for it. very short for a rifle. I love mine!

im thinking a .38 revolver...simple, not confusion, stainless so she can abuse it a little

Mother-In-Law wants a gun....

star_wars_its_a_trap.jpg

A J or K size revolver is a great choice and for a pistol I'd look at a Shield (for a little more capacity and great ergos)or the M&P 9c since the grip can be changed to whatever feels most comfortable for her.

Wheel gun, maybe an 8-shot version to get the round count up? How about a S&W 627.

That's an excellent choice. I have one, although when my youngest turns 21 ( this July ), she's informed she's taking it. For the punch it packs, it's got the least amount of recoil. My Mom was eying my wife's Sig P-238. The only problem with a revolver I've found is if the trigger is even a little heavy a person with arthritis will have trouble. I bought a S&W 19 snubbie years ago to give to my Dad when he got his license. He can't manage the trigger.

Maybe I'll give my Mom my S&W 617, it's a 10 shot .22LR

I think for someone new to fire arms and not a person that will be visiting a range often like most of us, maybe a 22 is a good idea for protection, ya it ain't going to knock someone back 6', but I don't know anyone that would in their right mind stand in front of one being fired, just the fact of firing it would IMHO make someone think twice about what they are doing.

That's an excellent choice. I have one, although when my youngest turns 21 ( this July ), she's informed she's taking it. For the punch it packs, it's got the least amount of recoil. My Mom was eying my wife's Sig P-238. The only problem with a revolver I've found is if the trigger is even a little heavy a person with arthritis will have trouble. I bought a S&W 19 snubbie years ago to give to my Dad when he got his license. He can't manage the trigger.

Maybe I'll give my Mom my S&W 617, it's a 10 shot .22LR

Bring it to Greg Derr! My Wife has had hand problems and couldn't manage her S&W 64 or my S&W 642. Greg smoothed them out and now she can work both guns. Short money and you won't regret it.

I vote she stick with a pistol. One hand can remain free to phone for help, open a door to move to another room or exit the house, and with Florida hurricane evacuations a real possibility she can take a pistol with her in her purse and remain safe. A shotgun or carbine won't travel as well. Get her a Glock 19 with a 33 round mag for in the house in addition to the standard mags.

Florida has a 2 hour class to take then you need to fire a gun in front of a cop to qualify for a CCW license. They have the classes a couple times a day at nearly every gun show in Florida and many gun shops and ranges have them regularly too.

Bring it to Greg Derr! My Wife has had hand problems and couldn't manage her S&W 64 or my S&W 642. Greg smoothed them out and now she can work both guns. Short money and you won't regret it.

This is the best idea yet. Greg worked on my S&W 642 trigger and brought it down to a very manageable weight. My hands are older than the rest of me. [smile] Don't buy a gun that mom hasn't fired. She has to be 100% comfortable with it.
Best regards.

Florida has a 2 hour class to take then you need to fire a gun in front of a cop to qualify for a CCW license. They have the classes a couple times a day at nearly every gun show in Florida and many gun shops and ranges have them regularly too.

There are a lot of courses out there that will satisfy the FL CCW requirements. The requirements do not include firing a gun in a police officer's presence.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

Let's not spread any misinformation here.

A m&p ar 15-22 It's light,it's short,it dosent kick and holds 28 round magazine. Not hard to learn and keep 2 mags loaded by gun. Adjustable stock so will fit her size and 22 will do less damage to neighbors

Revolver, easy to manage and reliable.
Agreed, I think a long gun for SD is good only if you already have multiple guns for different roles. Plus, you can't really use it for SD outside the home.

What's wrong with a S&W Airweight 637 loaded with self-defense rounds? Even get her a pink grip.

A m&p ar 15-22 It's light,it's short,it dosent kick and holds 28 round magazine. Not hard to learn and keep 2 mags loaded by gun. Adjustable stock so will fit her size and 22 will do less damage to neighbors

Not in Mass, 10rd only, but I do have one. I'll have my parents try it out this spring.

Back
Top Bottom