• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new English Pointer - 2 years old, started dog

She's new to me, just got her a couple days ago. She's been good so far, my wife and son like her a lot. She points pretty well and has a good nose on her from what I've seen. My grandfather has trained all the others we've ever hunted with, so this is my first time training on my own. I have a fairly good knowledge base to start from and will be working with her in the yard to reinforce basic commands and wing work to get a better feel for what level she is currently. Next week I'm taking her out to work some pigeon.

If anyone has any links they can post of some good ideas or anything outside of the old school ways that'd be great. Also, if there is a product that you've used that has worked well, please let me know. I have till October to get this dog trained well enough to impress my family (next time I'll see them all) and not look like an idiot.

Thanks.

Excellent. My older and first ep will be ten soon. Time flies.

What's her breeding?

The old saying still applies; the fastest way to train a birddog is...slowly.

Have fun. And we need pics.

image.jpg
Thanks. My grandfather picked her up as a suprise for my birthday. She's a CT line, he knows all about the breeding, I'm waiting on the paperwork from him.

I'm taking slow with her. She has training in the field, but almost no obedience thus far. I'm starting with that and will move on to working with her outside in the spring.

Does anybody call them that anymore? They are Pointers, I was scolded by a breeder once for that mistake. If his nose turns up and tals stiffs level w/ the ground it could be English. I have had pointers (Elhew)for 15 years, 3 generations.

kind of an old thread but i would recommend hooking up with a local NAVHDA chapter. you can go to one training day as a non member without an extra fee. There are chapters in CT, NH, NY, and ME.

There are a lot of great videos out there, but they are super expensive. Mike lardy and Evan Graham are two well known names. I just started using Bowwowflix. It is basically a Netflix for dog training videos. Some people disagree with it because you can rent a $150 DVD set for $11 a month, bypassing the people who made it.

Lardy & Graham are retriever trainers. Not a lot of what they do would apply to training a pointer.

George Hickox is a very well known pointer trainer that also does some retriever training.

Back
Top Bottom