My new inheritance

Romokid

NES Member
BDE229A5-2854-4891-B610-BB87656FAA1E.jpegDEC93BCF-43A9-4679-8691-204F7BAF51C4.jpeg4AB5205A-2DF3-4711-BC6F-A915275BB429.jpeg08B4DD94-4CE9-45D4-80DC-69F856F5BB35.jpeg59320FB8-6028-410B-B772-25DB6CB06A20.jpeg8ABF036A-C8A6-4AB3-A233-52D730C98A7F.jpegC40B4F5F-93A7-453B-99B1-EE3419BD17A2.jpeg

This is the Luger that I recently inherited. I don’t know anything about it other than my moms uncle or grandfather brought it back when he came home. It has been in a closet since I was kid and recently passed down to me as my parents are now in their 80’s.

Attachments

• C40B4F5F-93A7-453B-99B1-EE3419BD17A2.jpeg
    C40B4F5F-93A7-453B-99B1-EE3419BD17A2.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the info. I know nothing about Lugers. Are there any other areas where markings would be to give more info? I was surprised that they even marked the mags. Back abut 30 years ago my dad told me he didn’t think it was even functional so I took it to a gun shop that I frequented and he had some rounds with just primers and sure enough it went bang. After that I gave it back to dad and he put it back in the closet where it sat until a few weeks ago.

wow! lugers are cool guns. typical german engineering, love 'em. all i ever got in an inheritance was a colt commander. [angry] actually, i love my "gift" as i'm sure you love yours. in my case, a really close and good friend bequeathed it to me. he was 88 when he passed 25 years ago. i use to pester him to sell it to me and he always said "in time, lad." i was 45, a little old to be a "lad." [laugh]
very nice piece, i'm jealous.

If that thing could talk. Awesome.
I know right. I wish the uncle who brought it back was still alive when I had an interest in guns.

That’s why I was asking about any other places to look for markings. Didn’t know if it could tell more about the gun

View attachment 682039View attachment 682040View attachment 682041View attachment 682042View attachment 682043View attachment 682044View attachment 682054

This is the Luger that I recently inherited. I don’t know anything about it other than my moms uncle or grandfather brought it back when he came home. It has been in a closet since I was kid and recently passed down to me as my parents are now in their 80’s.
I’m extremely jealous. I’ve always wanted one of these. To come with an original holster and two matching mags? Dude…that’s a friggen unicorn. I bet @Mountain might know a thing or two about it as well, but @majspud is probably co-author of the book on Lugers for all I know.

Congratulations! All my uncle ever left me was empty bottles of beer.

I’m extremely jealous. I’ve always wanted one of these. To come with an original holster and two matching mags? Dude…that’s a friggen unicorn. I bet @Mountain might know a thing or two about it as well, but @majspud is probably co-author of the book on Lugers for all I know.

Congratulations! All my uncle ever left me was empty bottles of beer.
I only know a little. If OP is anywhere near Lancaster, MA, it would be worth a visit to see Joe Dube at Pack and Postal. Literally a walking encyclopedia about Lugers.

That is one cool luger,but one thing does not add up. Many magazines would have had the second one marked as to show it's the second magazine.
Also the aluminum bottom didn't come out till the mid 20's. Me thinks the Germans were playing games with their firearms.

I only know a little. If OP is anywhere near Lancaster, MA, it would be worth a visit to see Joe Dube at Pack and Postal. Literally a walking encyclopedia about Lugers.
I’m in Hubbardston so Lancaster is just a skip and a hop down route 2. Where abouts is Pack and Postal?

Matching mags is a pretty big deal, that much I know.
The mags are a later issue as they have an aluminium instead of wooden bottom and appear force matched to the pistol.
Military mags would show the serial number along with the suffix letter (as long as the pistol itself has a serial with suffix), with the spare mag showing an additional "+".
Police mags would show the serial number along with a "1" and "2".
I'd like to see a detailed pic of the front of the frame and underside of the barrel to see the full serial. My guess is that this is a so-called alphabet Luger which would fit to the period.

I know someone selling a luger , I know zero about it or what it is. I think a posted here about it

I’m in Hubbardston so Lancaster is just a skip and a hop down route 2. Where abouts is Pack and Postal?
PACK AND POSTAL CENTER

Mill Street. Doesn't look like much as you walk in, but once you go into the rooms at back and to your left they are packed with treasure. You'll want to go when Joe is there, might be worth calling ahead.

The mags are a later issue as they have an aluminium instead of wooden bottom and appear force matched to the pistol.
Military mags would show the serial number along with the suffix letter (as long as the pistol itself has a serial with suffix), with the spare mag showing an additional "+".
Police mags would show the serial number along with a "1" and "2".
I'd like to see a detailed pic of the front of the frame and underside of the barrel to see the full serial. My guess is that this is a so-called alphabet Luger which would fit to the period.
I will try to get some pics up later today. I google pack and postal and will try to get over there during the week and report back.

ETA: I will call first. Thanks.

Last edited:
I didn’t even think of looking under the grips. Are they difficult to remove? I’ll have to google it. Hope to get the other pics up later today. Too much yard work to do while the weather is nice.

Last edited:
Just loosen the screws and gently pull them off the frame, starting carefully from the mag side of the grip. Be careful not to chip the l/h grip panel in the area of the mag release button. That's the so-called Million-Dollar chip.

I can't identify what's below the serial on the frame. Is there a letter? A "translation" of the lettering can be found at lugerforums.com
The mag is a Haenel/Schmeisser mag which were mostly issued by Police. Yours is marked on the spine, whereas there is a variant which is marked on the flat side of the mag.
The mag alone is easily worth $200+

Thanks for the info. When I zoom in I don’t see any letters. The number under the 8966 appears to be 9.82. I don’t know if that is really a decimal or a little ding. Also if I zoom way in it almost looks like there is a tiny letter D under the last 6 but again it could be a little ding in it. I will definitely try to visit Pack and Postal to see Joe. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom