• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Pistol Caliber Carbine Multilemma

I'm pretty sure that I want a pistol caliber carbine but I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to make that happen. I was hoping that you folks could share your opinions, correct any misconceptions that I have and help me decide. Here are the choices I'm current considering:

A) Buy a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) + a MechTech Carbine Conversion Unit - If you don't know, it's an upper that fits on a Glock (or a 1911) and turns it into a carbine. I have a .40S&W M&P compact which I love and I usually have plenty of .40 S&W around. Going this route would give me two more fun ways to shoot .40 while defending life and liberty. Great! Except I'm not sure that I really want a MA legal Glock. The Short Frame models fit my chunky medium sized hands better but Glock didn't make SF models until after the ban went into effect. ARGH! Also, while the it would be nice to have 2 .40 pistols and the MechTech, it's definitely more expensive to buy the pistol and the upper than to just get a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, its much heavier in weight (maybe +2 lbs) and it doesn't fold.

B) Buy a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 - These guns are light and they fold in half, which is a feature that I really like. People seem to say that they are reliable but I know they're light because they are mostly plastic and cheap. I know that the stock sights are pretty awful and the gun is ugly as sin. I would get the Sub 2000 in .40 S&W because consolidating calibers helps me remain well prepared while minimizing costs.

C) Buy a Glock 20 (10mm) + a MechTech Carbine Conversion Unit - All the aforementioned concerns from A) apply here, especially the grip size problem, plus I'd be adding an expensive caliber to my gun collection. But then again... I would have a 10mm pistol with the potential for hi capacity preban mags! Also, what happens when you send a hot 180 grain 10mm bullet out of a 16 inch carbine barrel at 1800 fps? 1295 ft lbs of energy is what happens! That's enough to humanely kill a deer or even a hog (in a free state).

Now, I'm not sure, but if I put a carbine kit on top of a preban glock, I think that I'm allowed to have a collapsible stock but I'm not sure because the gun is old but the carbine kit is new.

Last edited:
If you are open, here are some commercially available carbines in pistol calibers: HKUSC in 45, MP5 clone, AR in 9mm or any other pistol caliber, Beretta Storm, Ruger Police Carbine, Marlin Camp Carbine, KelTech, HiPoint, Calico, Just Right Carbine etc etc etc

ETA: check out this table.... this covers them all.

http://www.luckygunner.com/pistol-caliber-carbines

Last edited:
My Hi-Point 9mm is one of the few guns I really regret selling. It was cheap, reliable, and accurate. The biggest downside is the lack of larger magazines.

My Hi-Point 9mm is one of the few guns I really regret selling. It was cheap, reliable, and accurate. The biggest downside is the lack of larger magazines.

Yeah this is my only complaint, although it probably saves me from blasting through that much more ammo at the range lol.

Pretty sure if you want multiple AW features it had to have been registered as such prior to the cut off date. What 94 is it?

As soon as you click it together you technically can't have all those features. As much as it pains me to post this. The Glock being pre-ban isn't good enough to satisfy Marsha. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: like I said "once you click it together" /wink/

Store/ transport it disassembled.

Last edited:
I would look for a beretta storm carbine. Or an Uzi but Uzis can be expensive. There are some good Glock compatible carbines like the Just Right carbine and another AR looking one that I cabt recall the name of.

EDIT: the JP GMR-13 was the other one that takes Glock mags, AR15 style but kinda pricy.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Last edited:
Go with ar uppers....

This is a possibility that I hadn't considered. Apparently some manufacturers make .40 S&W magazines that fit in typical AR 15 lowers so all I would need was a new upper and magazines. It's a good idea. The only downside a see is that unless there is a way to convert 5.56 mags to .40 S&W, I would have to deal with low capacity mags.

Last edited:
This is a possibility that I hadn't considered. Apparently some manufacturers make .40 S&W magazines that fit in typical AR 15 lowers so all I would need was a new upper. It's a good idea. The only downside a see is that unless there is a way to convert 5.56 mags to .40 S&W, I would have to deal with low capacity mags.

Check out 10mm mags....

10mm works in 45 grease gun mags .
Or just don't give a **** .

Or get a glock mag lower,
Get a preban mag and use a extensions like the kris vector dose

Last edited:
Hi point if you wanna save max $$.

otherwise i prefer my beretta cx4 storm in 9mm. Uses 92fs mags, what could be better than that? Plus it has come down in price considerably, can be had for under $700 nowadays....pretty sick value.

the sub 2k is a POS. Almost bought one until the voice from above spoke and said "dude how many keltecs do you need to buy until you realize they are shit". If glock mag compatability were my top priority i would probably get a just right carbine or just go all out and get the kriss vector....now youre talking.

I know the Glock 20 will cycle 40 S&W just fine. The Mech-Tech upper on a 20 frame might too... that could get you the added power of 10mm when you want with the cheaper 40S&W for plinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi point if you wanna save max $$.

otherwise i prefer my beretta cx4 storm in 9mm. Uses 92fs mags, what could be better than that? Plus it has come down in price considerably, can be had for under $700 nowadays....pretty sick value.

the sub 2k is a POS. Almost bought one until the voice from above spoke and said "dude how many keltecs do you need to buy until you realize they are shit". If glock mag compatability were my top priority i would probably get a just right carbine or just go all out and get the kriss vector....now youre talking.

The hipoints are very tempting to me. They are just so cheap, and I like the sights they come with...

For what it is worth, I went through a number of pistol caliber carbines, and here 's what I finally settled on:

1) Rossi 92 lever rifle, 20" barrel, stainless steel, in .357 magnum. Shoots .38 special as well. Classic JM Browning design, more than decent quality reproduction.

2) High Point 4595 .45 calber. Cheap but reliable and fun. Can use slightly modified 1911 mags (you can get extended ones preban if you must)

3) M1 Carbine. Well OK it's not exactly PCC, but someone did make a .30 carbine revolver, and a semi auto pistol as well. It's
really practically a .357 magnum.

FWIW, I had, and sold ,a Ruger Pc9, the Beretta CX4, a Marlin .357 1894 rifle, and the Keltec Sub2K. All of them had issues for me. Either the trigger, the stock, or the reliability (KelTec I'm looking at you).

Lots of really good input so far. One interesting thing for me is that the Hi Point PCCs are actually less ugly than at least one competitor in its class. The Sub 2000 is just baboon butt ugly IMO.

I would not go with the pistol with a upper route... That means you are always in the "either" "or" mode.

Having TWO separate weapons sharing a common magazine is the best way to go.

This way you have individual weapons...one to share... if your in a situation and need another person to assist.

I got a buddy who bought a 9mm conversion kit for an AR then bought a 9mm upper. 9mm AR shoots great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the decision begins and ends at magazine capacity.

I built up a 9mm AR platform rifle running unmodified Uzi mags.

At the time, magazines were both cheap, and plentiful in both 25 and 32 round capacity.

No regrets!

I would not go with the pistol with a upper route... That means you are always in the "either" "or" mode.

Having TWO separate weapons sharing a common magazine is the best way to go.

This way you have individual weapons...one to share... if your in a situation and need another person to assist.

I would. Most Glock people have multiple. If you set up a MechTech on a G17, most likely you have a 19 or 26 as well. They'll all take the same 9mm mag.

3) M1 Carbine. Well OK it's not exactly PCC, but someone did make a .30 carbine revolver, and a semi auto pistol as well. .. that pistol is called a AMT Automag III

Yup Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine.
Also, almost forgot about Taurus's raging 30 as well. An 8 shot.

Oh and since nobody corrected me I'd wager I'm right on the AW registration for evil features.

But who cares right? See salty's location.
Kill babies and eat their brains.

Last edited:
Hi-Point? I love my 9mm carbine. Cheap as hell and shoots great.

+ a bunch. I always smile when shooting my Hi-Point. Pretty damn accurate with old eyes. I like the way it shoots. I like the way it looks. A single 10 round mag in the pistol grip w/ two 10 round mags on the buttstock and I'm about as happy as I can be within Massachusetts....

I'm in the central part of the state and you can try mine if you want.

abag4_zpsb44edc9c.jpg

I have a HiPoint 9mm, KelTec Sub2k 9mm, and my AR 9mm lower will be back next week.

Love the HP and the Lone Wolf, hate the KT. Since I have a bunch of 33 rd Glock mags I am probably going to SBR the AR and sell the KT.

I've shot the Beretta, and it was just eh. It just wasn't for me, though others love it.

The 30 M1 carbine / 30 carbine revolver/auto is ok but 30 carbine ammo isn't as available as 9mm, 40 cal or 45..... I'd stay with those three.

Another match is a Feather Industry 9mm carbine (uses glock 9mm mags) and a 9mm Glock.

Back
Top Bottom