• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My range is now closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that I forgot to panic. Your right! Shut down the country! Get Trump out of office by any means necessary. All the flu's that came before are just child's play. The sky is falling! repeat!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

What? What about Camhabib’s post was remotely political?

Sorry that I forgot to panic. Your right! Shut down the country! Get Trump out of office by any means necessary. All the flu's that came before are just child's play. The sky is falling! repeat!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
I think this is a significant issue among the population, the misconception that microbes somehow care who you vote for. I certainly couldn’t care less, and if you managed to find a political bias in my post, you should really take a step back and use this time in solidarity to try and look at things with a more objective perspective.

I think this is a significant issue among the population, the misconception that microbes somehow care who you vote for. I certainly couldn’t care less, and if you managed to find a political bias in my post, you should really take a step back and use this time in solidarity to try and look at things with a more objective perspective.
Not saying any virus is political. What I'm saying is, the news induced panic is.

Not saying any virus is political. What I'm saying is, the news induced panic is.
This was my original point, that it has been interesting to watch how people respond to this situation. Some very clearly think the threat is real, some do not. It’s also been fascinating to see the duality in some peoples logic on here. People who live by the “better safe than sorry” mantra and have stocked thousands of rounds of ammo and rooms of firearms in the event that one day an army of crack addicts try to break into their house as the government is overthrown, but who laugh in the face of an invisible, silent, and (currently) invincible enemy that is sweeping through our population at an alarming rate.

Watch what you want, believe what you want, but wash your hands and have some respect and appreciation for an enemy that’s killed more than all the wars combined.

Last edited:
Danvers closed like two weeks ago, They could open it up to shoot on your own but no they need range officer with bankers hours, that place sucks. I did find a nice spot to shoot 100 out in the woods that’s open all day and no pesky membership fee’s, had the whole place to myself!!

Danvers closed like two weeks ago, They could open it up to shoot on your own but no they need range officer with bankers hours, that place sucks. I did find a nice spot to shoot 100 out in the woods that’s open all day and no pesky membership fee’s, had the whole place to myself!!
Yeah that club really does suck. All because of the policies and politics. Fairly large facility but ruined by the people running it.

This was my original point, that it has been interesting to watch how people respond to this situation. Some very clearly think the threat is real, some do not. It’s also been fascinating to see the duality in some peoples logic on here. People who live by the “better safe than sorry” mantra and have stocked thousands of rounds of ammo and rooms of firearms in the event that one day an army of crack addicts try to break into their house as the government is overthrown, but who laugh in the face of an invisible, silent, and (currently) invincible enemy that is sweeping through our population at an alarming rate.

Watch what you want, believe what you want, but wash your hands and have some respect and appreciation for an enemy that’s killed more than all the wars combined.

Ok I get the logic but an important detail is this ain't the black plague of modern times. It's like comparing the shoe bomber to the unabomber.

We could literally do nothing and the end result would be the most vulnerable 3% of the population would die, most of whom would be short lived regardless of the virus.

Should we take it seriously? Yes. But I don't agree with how it's being dealt with - would much prefer we quarantine the vulnerable population and let the rest of us do our best to keep the economy out of the crapper.

Ok I get the logic but an important detail is this ain't the black plague of modern times. It's like comparing the shoe bomber to the unabomber.
We could literally do nothing and the end result would be the most vulnerable 3% of the population would die, most of whom would be short lived regardless of the virus.

Should we take it seriously? Yes. But I don't agree with how it's being dealt with - would much prefer we quarantine the vulnerable population and let the rest of us do our best to keep the economy out of the crapper.

Without getting into the nitty gritty of it, or a long drawn out argument, there’s a lot more at play here than the general public or news lets on, that many virologists are worried about. I’ll give a couple highlights here.

First is the fact that the Black Plague didn’t start out as the near world ending bug (it’s a bacteria not virus but same difference for this argument) it became. As viruses hop from host to host, they pick up mutations which have the potential to greatly increase virulence. Every new person that becomes infected, healthy or otherwise, is one more opportunity for this to occur, giving us a virus with the same rate of infection, but a dramatically higher mortality rate. This happens constantly right before our eyes, with common bacteria (like Staph) picking up resistances to antibiotics, and going from a harmless common bacteria to a deadly killer (MRSA / VRSA). The second big concern is that mortality rate isn’t about population but rather individuals. That means instead of thinking “this bug kills X% of people in the world”, try “you have an X% chance of dying every time you get it.” Get it once, sure, you have a simple X% chance of dying. What happens when it mutates and comes back through the population a second time, much like the flu does every year, and you lack immunity to it? Play Russian roulette enough times and you find the live chamber.

I can appreciate that on the surface, there are a lot of details omitted that help differentiate this from something like a common cold and the fear may seem unfounded, but you have to trust that the people who have spent their entire lives dedicated to the study of these things know enough about what is and isn’t dangerous, and they wouldn’t be worried for nothing. Don’t think of this as a “only the weak are vulnerable” but more “once the weak are dead it’s going to come for me” situation, since as the popular saying goes “nature finds a way.” We all have to do our part to keep humanity alive, which given many of the crazy bugs that come through my lab on a daily basis, is far more daunting a task than most would like to know.

Last edited:
Country pond in Newton will be closing all but the outdoor range and removing shooting benches to keep 6 feet between stations. No guests.....members only....to limit the number of people. Providing wipes to clean stations after use.

Last Saturday the range was mobbed with people and guests so we are taking measures to leave some availability while enforcing some distance.

Minute Man Sportsman Club is now closed due to Baker’s announcement.

I’d argue that keeping ranges open, especially clubs like MMSC (i.e. clubs with skeet, trap, clay, 5-stand), are essential businesses. They’re essential for my sanity since cabin fever is setting in.

Spray painted the targets in the back yard yesterday. Looks like it may be needed soon.

QW2OyuR.jpg

Maynard Rod and Gun is totally closed. Indoor range was already shut a few days ago, but now the outdoor rifle and pistol ranges, as well as the skeet/trap/5-stand areas are closed.

No sports on TV, wife gets pissed when I need to run an errand or need to get something, gym is closed, it’s too cold in the garage to get the table saw out and start building my amp stand, and now no place to shoot with both of my clubs shut down.

All this through at least 07 APR. I have little doubt that this shut down will be extended to at least the end of April, if not May.

Gun Clubs closed by wuhan chinese virus megathread

pls continue here, I will try to suck up the data here and put it in this one, can't merge because it would move my post into a saarlac pit where nobody could find it... post or pm any updates in new thread pls thx driving tunic whirling afgan dervishes inc. Notary Sojac.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom