• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my thoughts on the PTR 9R 608

btnh6668

NES Member
I have seen the PTR 9 come up on a few threads lately and noticed there was little feed back on the firearm. I bought one last week and figured id give my two cents on it.
ptr 9.jpg ptr 9r.jpg
I have always wanted a MP5 carbine but have read to many issues with the clones that were available at the time and stayed away. Having been an owner of a PTR91 and having great experience with their customer service i had no hesitation on taking a chance on this PTR 9. The overall finish of the gun looks great. Looks to be very well built. My only reservation was the two plastic 10 round mags that come with the gun. The manual states there is a break in period of a few hundred rounds. I believe it was between 300-500. Before buying this i read that it did not perform well with 115gr 9mm. So i purchased 250 rounds of 147gr blazer brass and 100 rounds of 115gr blazer brass. I loaded up the two 10 round mags with 147gr which have flat head bullets. The first two rounds shoot fine then i began to have failures to feed properly. The flat head was being troublesome. I had bought a preban 30 round steel mag and decided to give that a try. I loaded 30 rounds of 147gr and not only did they shoot flawlessly, the magazine fit like a glove. The plastic mags never really seemed to latch properly. It looked as if the plastic mags were seated a tad bit lower than the metal preban. I ran all of the 147gr bullets i had through the preban with zero issues. Shot like a dream.

I then loaded 30 rounds of the 115gr in the preban mag. All 30 rounds shot with no issues. I then proceeded to load the two 10 round mags with 115gr. I had 3 failure to feed and 1 failure to eject. I was told this gun needs a stronger load because of the roller system ptr uses. So since the 115gr shot fine from the preban, ill be willing to bet most issues people are having are related to those cheap plastic mags. So while i was doing this i was also trying to sight in at 50 yards on a sandbag with iron sights. I will say after sighting it in with the 147 grain, the 115 grain was about 2-21/2 inches to the right. Overall I am VERY VERY happy with this purchase. My only recommendations are to (1) buy preban or steel 10 rounders and (2) shoot 124gr or higher to avoid any possible issues.

I hope this helps anyone who may be interested in this gun.

Last edited:
Looks sweet. My zenith will eat any factory 9mm with preban mags. I also think a lot of the issues are related to the cheap 10rounders.

Back
Top Bottom