1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My torch (cigar) lighter sucks, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr.E, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I'm an anti-social cigar smoker. F everyone else. Bring your own cigars. Bring your own cutter. Bring your own cigar. Don't ask why the porch door is locked. Didn't I already tell you I'm an anti-social cigar smoker??? LOL. Now go stand outside looking in with your uncut, unlit tube'o'leaves.

As far as cost, I'm not seeing Vertigo's going for TONS less than Xikar. We're talking $50 versus $20-25. Not a huge cost difference. It certainly isn't 4:1.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

2. dustoff22

dustoff22 NES Member

Not sure why people want to spend $50 and up for a lighter when a "Jet Line" triple flame lighter +/- $12-14 bucks will outlast even the best of lighters. Ask me how I know. I've bought the expensive ones and they shit the bed as quickly as the cheap ones. Jet Line (Cigars Int'l) has been my go to lighter for the past several years.......have had good luck with them. I bought a couple Bugatti lighters only to have to replace the insert with a Jet Line insert which outlasted the Bugatti original equipment.

3. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Uhh, you can get Vertigos for like 8-12 bucks for the basic plastic lighters with 3 flames. They sell them in glass jars near the register at 2 guys and at tobacco haven in NH. I think two guys had like "3 for 20 bucks" or a similar deal like that.

Here's one here.... 3 for $24 + a couple bux shipping
    Vertigo by Lotus Cyclone Triple Torch Cigar Lighter Charcoal 3 Pack 821700902704 | eBay

I've probably bought more of the cyclones than the others, and they seem to hold up pretty well. Few years ago I bought venoms for club lighters and others, and while the venom works pretty well, the cyclone is a overall a better design, much better and more reliable ignition.

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. drgrant

Probably because "it looks nice. " As you probably already know theres an entire subculture within the industry to making things that look nice, like cigar bands, ashtrays, cutters, so on and on.... It's too bad most of the $50 lighters, on the whole, don't work as good as they look. Although I still have a Xikar Exodus (EX) thats still in OK shape, and I think my dad has one I bought him ages ago... but he smokes about 1 cigar a month, maybe.

-Mike

dustoff22 likes this.
  5. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

IMG_6659.JPG I've been very happy with the $20 Blazer twin torch in gun metal gray I bought off Holts...

6. tuna

tuna NES Member

Ok, dumb question. I’m not too up on cigar etiquette, but is anything “wrong” with a regular zippo? I notice everyone has the butane jet lighters, what’s wrong with the old standby?

7. drgrant

Supposedly the lighter fluid gives off a smell/taste that some find undesirable, they claim it gets into the cigar. Plus its much easier to do things like toasting with a jet lighter than it is with a zippo.

All that aside, if a zippo is all I had it sure as hell would not stop me from lighting a cigar!

-Mike

tuna and kelton like this.
  8. kalash

kalash NES Member

This is why I also don't like using matches.