• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

N/D Of The Week

I think that's a bit of a reach, but whatever.
If you justifiably shot person A, and it through-shot to person B, would it be a bit of a reach for the system to claim you shot person B? Would "I did not shoot person B" be an effective defense?

If you justifiably shot person A, and it through-shot to person B, would it be a bit of a reach for the system to claim you shot person B? Would "I did not shoot person B" be an effective defense?
oh for god's sake you're just looking for an argument, whatever I don't care

Wisconsin man was handling firearm that discharged, killing 8-year-old child: 'Put down the guns'​

Milwaukee police investigating child's death as a homicide​

A Wisconsin man was arrested Saturday after a gun he was handling discharged and killed an 8-year-old girl in Milwaukee, an incident that prompted the city's acting mayor to ask citizens to "put down the guns" on the heels of a record-breaking year for homicides.

The incident happened around 2:25 p.m. on the 1800 block of West Highland Avenue, the Milwaukee Police Department said.

Police said the 47-year-old man was handling a firearm when it went off and the subsequent gunfire struck the girl. She was rushed to a local hospital, where police said she died of her injuries.

Police did not immediately release the identities of the man or the child.

Police said the death was being investigated as a homicide and that criminal charges would be referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office.

Continues...

This boob should not have had a gun.

Be on the lookout for used shotguns for sale,
touted as "only dropped once".

I think it's the shot TWICE that just might raise a few questions [thinking]
I know a guy who shot himself in both legs with one round. ...
Operating operator.

... He then sold that gun to a friend who shot himself in one leg.
cover4.png

Two for Tuesday:

ND at essex landing apt complex in saugus yesterday. Went through 3 floors. Cops and atf emptied out around 8 firearms and a dolly of ammo.

Shot an IDPA match Saturday. A guy I know, more than an acquaintance, less than a friend, got DQ'd for a negligent discharge. Per my Match Director, he popped a round off over the berm going for a reload.

Yeah - no slidelock there apparently.

Really bad news is that this is the same guy who was DQ'd last week in a USPSA match for the same reason. I was on the same squad, watching as he was shooting; so was the Match Director, (we were talking at the time). We both saw the round go out of the berm and were two of at least four people yelling "STOP".

Interesting conversations were had after both matches. I suspect that if he does it again, he's going to be banned from our matches.

Yeah - no slidelock there apparently.
That's a feature, not a bug.

USPSA/IPSC shooters NEVER want to go to slide lock (cold reload), except in the case where the final round finishes the stage. Reloading from is slower than reloading with a loaded chammber (hot reload), with you finger out of the trigger guard (!!!).

My understanding is IDPA not only requires reload from slide lock, but considers intentionally shooting extra rounds ("dumping rounds") to make the slide lock happen at a more convenient time (for example, to allow reloading during movement) to be unsportsman like behavior since they are more intent on simulating the mean streets of Democrat run cities.

That's a feature, not a bug.

USPSA/IPSC shooters NEVER want to go to slide lock (cold reload), except in the case where the final round finishes the stage. Reloading from is slower than reloading with a loaded chammber (hot reload), with you finger out of the trigger guard (!!!).

My understanding is IDPA not only requires reload from slide lock, but considers intentionally shooting extra rounds ("dumping rounds") to make the slide lock happen at a more convenient time (for example, to allow reloading during movement) to be unsportsman like behavior since they are more intent on simulating the mean streets of Democrat run cities.

Correct.

Although "round dumping" was a somewhat subjective call and the rule has been removed.

IDPA requires a completely empty firearm if you're dropping the magazine on the ground, (reload from slidelock), otherwise requires a "tactical reload with retention", you have to stow the magazine you're removing from the firearm on your body. To do otherwise incurs a penalty.

Although "round dumping" was a somewhat subjective call and the rule has been removed.
This is why I prefixed the claim with "My understanding is....." With that preamble, my statement is tautologically correct :).

Thanks for the update on the IDPA rules - nice to know.

Every time I read this thread all I can think is F'ing Morons. All my years with guns and never an ND, it isn't that hard. And with 4 kids they never got into them and "played" with them, again, not that hard.

The father, assuming it was his gun, should be charged with manslaughter, and the two in Nashua, criminal stupidity (well you get the idea).

The father, assuming it was his gun, should be charged with manslaughter ...
At least. Could he be trying to pin it on the toddler to begin with? Not enough info in the article to rule it out.

I think generally there one of three different mental states in play:

1. A gun is a dangerous thing. I must be careful with it.
2. I've been handling guns all my life. I know what I'm doing and don't need your rules.
3. Damn, I'm gangsta now!

At least. Could he be trying to pin it on the toddler to begin with? Not enough info in the article to rule it out.
MA might actually do that, since juvenile records are unsealed for the purposes of using them as firearms ownership disqualifiers.

I think generally there one of three different mental states in play:

1. A gun is a dangerous thing. I must be careful with it.
2. I've been handling guns all my life. I know what I'm doing and don't need your rules.
3. Damn, I'm gangsta now!
4. I've been handling guns my whole life, a gun is a dangerous thing and I treat it accordingly, I follow the 4 rules and then some of my own.

It's not really that much different from a car. You treat it appropriately, nobody gets hurt and it can still be fun.

Because it more than just ONE of the 3. It's 1 and 2, plus a little more. What's more than 1+2? well 4 of course [smile]
Allow me to rephrase:

1. Gun safety is important, and some safety rules need to be followed.
2. Gun safety is important for morons, but because of your high experience level and mastery, you are inherently safe. You don't need rules. Even if you keep your finger on the trigger and sweep everybody at the range, it's OK, because it's you.
3. Yo, blood, I'm a badass MF now!

Allow me to rephrase:

1. Gun safety is important, and some safety rules need to be followed.
2. Gun safety is important for morons, but because of your high experience level and mastery, you are inherently safe. You don't need rules. Even if you keep your finger on the trigger and sweep everybody at the range, it's OK, because it's you.
3. Yo, blood, I'm a badass MF now!
OK, now I'd go with 1.
What you added to 2 makes a world of difference. It now represents a cocky know it all who doesn't apply any safety rules.

Back
Top Bottom