• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

N.H. HUNTER EDUCATION NOW OFFERED ONLINE

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
[grin]

HUNTER EDUCATION NOW OFFERED ONLINE

CONCORD, N.H. -- There's a whole new way to take Hunter Education in New Hampshire -- with a computer!*The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is now offering a basic Hunter Education course online, for those who simply prefer learning at their own pace. The course entails online study and testing (there is a $15 fee), plus a written exam and a mandatory field day.*Participants must be at least 15 years old to take the online course.

"New Hampshire has joined many other states in offering an online Hunter Education course, in addition to our traditional classroom courses," said Hunter Education Coordinator Pete Davison.*"It covers all the important lessons of Hunter Education; firearm safety, hunter responsibility and ethical hunting practices.*This is no video game, it's the real deal."

The online course replaces the former "home study" option for Hunter Education.*It offers an alternative to traditional classroom Hunter Ed courses taught by trained volunteer instructors, which are still offered across the state (listed at http://www.huntnh.com/Hunting/hunter_ed_schedule.htm).

The online course has two parts; both are required:

1. First, complete the study portion online at your own pace, in the comfort of your home, town library, or computer lab. The course may be completed by studying a few hours a day over a couple of weeks, or in a few days of more intensive study.*When you are ready, take the online exam.*There is a fee of $15.

2.*After passing the online exam, you must register to attend a Field Day by calling Lisa Collins at the Hunter Education Office at 603-271-3214 (you cannot register for the field day before passing the online exam, and if you fail to attend your scheduled Field Day, you automatically fail the course). The field day includes both a written exam and field test.*You'll get a review of N.H. hunting laws and regulations from a Conservation Officer, take part in a firearms handling session, map and compass lessons and a live-fire activity, followed by the field exam. After successful completion of the tests, you will be a certified hunter, ready to buy a license and enjoy a great hunting season.

To get started, visit http://www.huntnh.com/hunting/hunter_ed.htm today to access study materials and complete the online part of the course.

By state law, anyone planning to buy a hunting license in N.H. must complete a Fish and Game hunter education course (or show proof of a previously issued license).*

"A word of caution: Don't wait until hunting season to try and get certified," says Davison.*"There are an ample number of Field Days on the schedule, but class sizes are limited to maximize the learning experience and student success."

Find out more about Hunter Education in New Hampshire at http://www.huntnh.com/Hunting/hunter_ed.htm.

Hunter education is made possible by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act.*Excise taxes are collected from the sales of firearms, ammunition and archery equipment. These funds are distributed to state agencies to conduct research, manage wildlife populations, protect habitat and conduct hunter education programs.

This is a great idea, and I also like how they have a Field day as well, I must say though going from a $2 three day class to a $15 online course is a little weird.

Great folks

I just took the online course and field day on Aug 9 in Holderness to get my certification. I have been out of the woods for decades, and this was the only way I was going to find the time and method for doing so. No way can I get a week worth of evenings free without taking a weeks vacation, which I would do to hunt because that IS VACATION! The folks there were great, the facilities excellent. Highly recommended. Definitely worth the hike north from MA.

JR

Last edited:
I took this course this past the spring only I opted for the "home-study" option. This is where they mail you the books and you study them yourself. It looks like they have eliminated this option in favor of the online course. I talked to someone at my field day that did it on the computer and he said he wished he hadn't because he would rather have hard copies of the books. Of course, I haven't gone back and looked at the books since so I suppose having hard copies isn't a big deal. They did include quite a few neat little extra books; pocket survival/ first aid guide, game track id card, hunting digest, and a few other pamphlets.
Overall, the course was great the books were very easy to read and understand. The field day was great. I did it at the Pelham Fish and Game club, got to meet and chat with some of the members.
Best part was that it costs $5 for the books and then $3 for the field day, IIRC. The books had a shipping label on the package that was $4.90, can't beat that deal!

I should have been more specific. I took the home study option as well. The books were pretty informative, especially about hunting that I don't do like birds, or bow hunting, etc. It was nice having the local Fish and Game Warden answer questions too. Again, it's a great way to get people into hunting that lead otherwise very hectic lives.

JR

I just did the online course, and passed the test at the end. The reading was pretty informative for me (a new hunter). I learned a decent amount about muzzleloaders and bows/arrows. The test at the end is a lot of common sense, but it's worth reading the materials too. I know the North Carolina online program has a requirement that you spend a certain amount of time on each page so that people can't just jump to the end and take the test.

Does anyone have any experience with the field day? Is there any prior knowledge assumed (outside of the online course) or will they teach everything that they test on? I'm certainly fine with the weapons-handling and live fire parts of it, and I can read a map and use a compass, but I don't have a working knowledge of game animals and knowing the difference between them yet. I just want to know if I need to prepare/study before that day, but I suspect not.

At the field day I went to, They teach everything you need to know. Study up on the NH wildlife guide book, the one with the laws. That is 1/2 the day, listening to a fish and game warden and then being tested on it (assuming they are still doing it the same as when I took it last year).
Then they gave a quick and dirty lesson on how to use map and compass, something I had never done, then made us go out take headings and estimate ranges of different points. After that we walked to the range using proper safe carrying techniques and positions. Then finished up outside with the live fire exercise.
There was never any point where I was racking my brain for an answer to anything.
Overall a fun day, and I learned a lot throughout the course and field day. Good luck, have fun!

Hunter Safety Adds Obstacle Course at Macon Blast
GON's Outdoor Blast in Macon is offering hunters the opportunity to get their hunter-safety certificate on Saturday, July 24. This year, the course has been expanded in size and we have added a hunter safety obstacle course. The Macon podcast download Outdoor Blast will be held at the Macon Centreplex July 23-25.
There are three necessary steps to take before the Saturday of the course. A student must (1) complete the online hunter education course, (2) Register for the course online, and (3) bring the signed affidavit with you on Saturday morning at the Macon Blast.

Last edited:
I hope so.

but another part of me thinks that if they can't get out to take the class how are they going to get out into the woods?

i know people have to worry about schedule, timing, family, work, etc I'm just saying.....
I've been lax in getting into the MA 2-day classes, and my commute and work hours don't allow for a week-long MA course, so this looks excellent to me...and it's cheaper than the MA course. If MA takes this, I'll be pretty happy.

I did my Field Day portion of the online Hunter Ed this past weekend. It was taught by Pete Davidson, the director of Hunter Ed for NH Fish and Game. It was a very good course and a great day out at Pointer's Fish and Game Club. The class is pretty quick paced, as they are are trying to cram in 3 days of demonstration into 1 day, but they did a great job. They go over the different types of actions and rifle types, different carry positions, tree stands, basic compass and map orienteering, and survival. The exam is 50 questions and can be tricky but if you read the slides online, you'll do fine. The practical is pretty much common sense, as they walk you around an imaginary course with setup decoys and quiz whether or not you'd take the shot.

Anyways, good course and very excited to start my first year hunting. Good luck out there.

Last edited:
does MA accept this to be licensed to hunt in MA also?

Should be good anywhere in the U.S. and Canada to get a hunting license, we were told in our class. My course was in MA but I don't believe it matters where the certificate originates from.

Edit: I believe Mexico is now included in the Hunter Ed. program. I guess you can shoot armadillos or something down there.

Last edited:
Looking to find out how flexible the field day could be, friend of mine moved up here from FL and had always hunted his own acreage so never had to get a license down there, he currently works two jobs so time is a premium. ideas? PM if need be

Just attended my field day this past Satuday up at the Exeter Sportsman Club. Great time and very informative.

Back
Top Bottom