• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nahant becomes first MA town to authorize shooting coyotes

SKumar

NES Member
Sounds nice, but it's not target practice for the NES fam. They'll instead have designated riflemen from the federal government.

NAHANT, Mass — The Town of Nahant is becoming the first in the state to actively shoot and kill aggressive coyotes.

The town board voted to bring in trained rifle experts from the USDA wildlife services, on Wednesday night.

Officials say this decision comes after months of research, and input from mass wildlife officials who all say the coyotes in Nahant are a public safety threat.

Coyotes in Nahant have been an issue for over a decade.

State and local officials also say this is not a long term solution, but just a way to address the immediate risk.

Yeah. Based on the people I know in Nahant, I doubt there are many rifles there, nor people skilled at using them.

Still, we have to bring in the Federal government to nuke a few 'yotes? That's just silly.

I've got friends.........
They should have called me.
I got friends that love dispatching these things.
From what I recall (personally not a hunter), big open season for these things, and no bag limit afaik.
I've got friends...

I've got friends.........
They should have called me.
I got friends that love dispatching these things.
From what I recall (personally not a hunter), big open season for these things, and no bag limit afaik.
I've got friends...
Why have hunters do it for free when you can pay $10,000 per coyote to a government agency? That's the logic around here.

I bet they get an exemption for "wanton waste" that everyone else has to abide by.

USDA? I thought they were going to hire another 4-Letter agency...

8a9e9112a2cf70b783ea4ef63a8d9e27.jpg

Do you have no coyote season there?
Yeah.....but normal "hunters" aren't safe enough. They have to use and pay "trained" government agents to feel all warm and fuzzy safe.

Nahant probably has a no discharge rule (not sure, just guessing)

But as usual.....its all OK if the moonbats want it. Throw the rulebook out.

Nahant probably has a no discharge rule (not sure, just guessing)
Yep (exceptions include self defense and duck hunters). Per the Town Bylaws:
ARTICLE XI FIREARMS SECTION 1. No person shall fire or discharge a gun or firearm within the Town, except at a military exercise or review duly authorized by the military authorities of the Commonwealth, or on such occasion as the Town Administrator shall specially permit, or in the lawful defense of his person, provided, however, the above shall not apply to duly licensed hunters shooting at game from small boats in the water, which are a minimum of 300 yards off the shore of Nahant, in conformity with the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I read a good article some years ago about USDA sharp shooters will have to try to find it. You think it would be a cool job but the shooter they interviewed said it was a lot of traveling long boring hours of being in bad weather physical work of baiting building blinds etc. Then disposing of animals or field dressing if they could salvage them. As well as fair share of paperwork. Not a lot of just pulling the trigger.

I read a good article some years ago about USDA sharp shooters will have to try to find it. You think it would be a cool job but the shooter they interviewed said it was a lot of traveling long boring hours of being in bad weather physical work of baiting building blinds etc. Then disposing of animals or field dressing if they could salvage them. As well as fair share of paperwork. Not a lot of just pulling the trigger.
That’s literally what hunting yotes is like. Not a big deal

Back
Top Bottom