Nahant becomes first MA town to authorize shooting coyotes

Last edited:
Did anyone try to get the 500' rule relaxed for hunters there from the state? Doubtful. I can see the state being OK with that, rather than the USDA coming in with sharpshooters and relaxing every hunting law. If the town can shut down hunting totally.....then I'm sure the town can relax setback rules.

These people are f***ing sheep that rely on the government for everything and are so stupid they will try and pay their way out of their own problem they created....instead of fixing it for good.

I've bowhunted 2 acre lots in CT and killed plenty of deer, and coyotes...........it not hard, you just need no setback rules and people wanting to fix a problem. I mean jesus, we had people loving us killing deer. If you can get urban people to embrace that......you can get them loving killing coyotes that are killing their dogs and cats for christ sake. It takes the town and state to get together and identify hunters as a free, permanent way to fix their problem.

The state F&W is better at jerking off than fixing problems or backing hunters.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But let's say you're the town father. You have a choice:

1. Open permits for anyone who wants to "stahht blastin!" Even limited permits to people you vetted. Now you've got all the liability on your shoulders should Uncle Randy get too excited and blow out Mrs. Jones' picture window. Oh and forget petitioning the state to relax the shooting setback laws specifically for this.

2. Hire USDA professionals, vetted by the USDA and under teh jurisdiction and authority of hte USDA. They shoot out Mrs. Jones' pic-window - go blame the stupid Federales. (I'm also betting feds supersede state so they don't need any "special permission" for their hunting. They probably just need to notify the SP or AG's office.)

You can't win as a town father with Option 1. Cost be damned. You stand less of a risk of getting un-elected next cycle with #1. And if you think that's stupid, I'd like to introduce you to the 392 other forms of government we currently have or have tested in this world that suck in comparison to that one. LOL

I'm not disagreeing with you. But let's say you're the town father. You have a choice:

1. Open permits for anyone who wants to "stahht blastin!" Even limited permits to people you vetted. Now you've got all the liability on your shoulders should Uncle Randy get too excited and blow out Mrs. Jones' picture window. Oh and forget petitioning the state to relax the shooting setback laws specifically for this.

2. Hire USDA professionals, vetted by the USDA and under teh jurisdiction and authority of hte USDA. They shoot out Mrs. Jones' pic-window - go blame the stupid Federales. (I'm also betting feds supersede state so they don't need any "special permission" for their hunting. They probably just need to notify the SP or AG's office.)

You can't win as a town father with Option 1. Cost be damned. You stand less of a risk of getting un-elected next cycle with #1. And if you think that's stupid, I'd like to introduce you to the 392 other forms of government we currently have or have tested in this world that suck in comparison to that one. LOL
Yup.....its all about liability and thats always the MA attitude......but even more disturbing is they don't realize that they are not fixing the problem they have created. They will have to continually pay for it for the rest of their lives.

First off.....Bowhunting is probably the only viable option to openly hunting there, as it was in Southern CT. I took a pile of coyotes with the bow, and that wasn't even over bait.

Vetted bowhunters in treestands over bait would take out a good pile of coyotes with little or no issue other than there might be a coyote or two running around with an errant arrow in it that didn't connect fatally. At that point should anyone care when they are eating your dogs, cats and children?

But I can think of a few of options for gun hunting.....like setting up a few baited spots at very safe locations for hunters to set up on.......in a limited hunt basis.

Maybe working with the F&W they might have found some options.........honestly, I don't know, our DFW is fully retarded. But they could have tried ways of getting hunters in.

I do understand we are dealing with people that have zero intelligence in the ways of defending themselves against nature, but realistically, giving them the out of the USDA coming in, only hurts them more. Them learning about how hunters can help keep populations stable and from becoming a problem would be beneficial, and we would have less anti hunters because of it.

Hot off the AP wire...

(AP) – A Massachusetts town has decided to become the first in the state to contract with the federal government to kill coyotes locals say have killed pets and become a dangerous nuisance.

Local officials said eight to 12 coyotes inhabit Nahant, a densely settled town of about 3,300 people on a peninsula about 15 miles north of Boston. The animals have killed pets, including three that were taken straight from leashes held by their owners, said Antonio Barletta, the town administrator.

Town officials voted Dec. 7 to enter into an agreement with U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services to kill the coyotes using rifles. It’s the first time a Massachusetts community has pursued such an option, which Barletta said is expected to cost $5,000 to $10,000, depending on how long it takes.

The USDA workers will perform the work at night using night vision equipment in parts of town where the shooting won’t pose a threat to residents, Barletta said. The work will likely take place next month, he said.

The decision has drawn criticism from some wildlife advocates, including the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. But Barletta said the coyotes are becoming a threat to dogwalkers.

The town is also working on a campaign to help residents coexist with coyotes in the future, Barletta said. That will mean cutting off their food sources and preventing them from becoming too comfortable around humans, he said.

Hot off the AP wire...

(AP) – A Massachusetts town has decided to become the first in the state to contract with the federal government to kill coyotes locals say have killed pets and become a dangerous nuisance.

Local officials said eight to 12 coyotes inhabit Nahant, a densely settled town of about 3,300 people on a peninsula about 15 miles north of Boston. The animals have killed pets, including three that were taken straight from leashes held by their owners, said Antonio Barletta, the town administrator.

Town officials voted Dec. 7 to enter into an agreement with U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services to kill the coyotes using rifles. It’s the first time a Massachusetts community has pursued such an option, which Barletta said is expected to cost $5,000 to $10,000, depending on how long it takes.

The USDA workers will perform the work at night using night vision equipment in parts of town where the shooting won’t pose a threat to residents, Barletta said. The work will likely take place next month, he said.

The decision has drawn criticism from some wildlife advocates, including the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. But Barletta said the coyotes are becoming a threat to dogwalkers.

The town is also working on a campaign to help residents coexist with coyotes in the future, Barletta said. That will mean cutting off their food sources and preventing them from becoming too comfortable around humans, he said.

So, i should amend my previous comment that it will be $1,000 per coyote if their estimates are correct.

Yeah. Based on the people I know in Nahant, I doubt there are many rifles there, nor people skilled at using them.

Still, we have to bring in the Federal government to nuke a few 'yotes? That's just silly.
Lol I worked at a very infamous person's wife's house there. This person is long dead but let's just say there were a lot of Goomba types running around strapped Nahant a few years back

Maine, last year I got $100 for 4 big ones in full winter form

Hot off the AP wire...

The longer they wait the more likely the antis will find a Judge who will stop it.

Yeah. That'll happen. Karen is still gonna feed them. You want the problem gone, you gotta eliminate them. Because the humans are too stupid, as a whole. (Not even a high % of stupid, but 5 or 6 stupids on that whole island screws it all up.)

Cause it's cruel to shoot them when they have pups says the bleeding heart liberals that write the laws
It's the same dumbass reason why we can't shoot crows year round

I read a good article some years ago about USDA sharp shooters will have to try to find it. You think it would be a cool job but the shooter they interviewed said it was a lot of traveling long boring hours of being in bad weather physical work of baiting building blinds etc. Then disposing of animals or field dressing if they could salvage them. As well as fair share of paperwork. Not a lot of just pulling the trigger.
There's always stacks of paperwork if you work for a state or federal agency.

You’ve got a great opinion of the average hunter don’t you ?

Back
Top Bottom