• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nashua Gun Laws vs. New Hampshire

Hello,

I plan on moving into Nashua from MA soon. I was looking around to not much avail as to whether the gun laws in Nashua differ from those in the rest of the state. Much like Boston gun laws would differ from the rest of MA. Does anyone know if they are the same or different? Thank you.

New Hampshire has a preemption clause in state law, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Yuup
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-26.htm

[h=1]TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE[/h][h=2]CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS[/h][h=2]State Jurisdiction[/h][h=3]Section 159:26[/h] 159:26 Firearms, Ammunition, and Knives; Authority of the State. –
I. To the extent consistent with federal law, the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives in the state. Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, no ordinance or regulation of a political subdivision may regulate the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting a political subdivision's right to adopt zoning ordinances for the purpose of regulating firearms or knives businesses in the same manner as other businesses or to take any action allowed under RSA 207:59.
II. Upon the effective date of this section, all municipal ordinances and regulations not authorized under paragraph I relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives shall be null and void.Source. 2003, 283:2. 2011, 139:1, eff. Aug. 6, 2011.

Thread mostly over - jtnf is correct. No town can add gun regulations to the state laws.

The only power they have is via the RSA 644:13 II b

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXII/644/644-13.htm

Some are trying to abuse that by declaring large wooded areas as a "compact part" of the town.

Having moved from MA a while ago, I understand your mindset - having no need to wonder about those picayune details is part of the joy of living in NH.

Thread mostly over - jtnf is correct. No town can add gun regulations to the state laws.

The only power they have is via the RSA 644:13 II b

Some are trying to abuse that by declaring large wooded areas as a "compact part" of the town.

Having moved from MA a while ago, I understand your mindset - having no need to wonder about those picayune details is part of the joy of living in NH.

It's my understanding that the rules regarding "compact part" of a town only pertains to hunting, by limiting you to what long guns may be used in that area, such as shotguns only. It doesn't restrict what handguns you may carry for self defense.

Hello,

I plan on moving into Nashua from MA soon. I was looking around to not much avail as to whether the gun laws in Nashua differ from those in the rest of the state. Much like Boston gun laws would differ from the rest of MA. Does anyone know if they are the same or different? Thank you.

Enjoy the freedom, please vote to keep it that way. If your note interested in voting that way, please stay in mass.

- - - Updated - - -

Yuup

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE

CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS

State Jurisdiction

Section 159:26

159:26 Firearms, Ammunition, and Knives; Authority of the State. –
I. To the extent consistent with federal law, the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives in the state. Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, no ordinance or regulation of a political subdivision may regulate the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting a political subdivision's right to adopt zoning ordinances for the purpose of regulating firearms or knives businesses in the same manner as other businesses or to take any action allowed under RSA 207:59.
II. Upon the effective date of this section, all municipal ordinances and regulations not authorized under paragraph I relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives shall be null and void.Source. 2003, 283:2. 2011, 139:1, eff. Aug. 6, 2011.
AWESOME! It is really looking better and better to make the move to the Live Free or Die state!
Hope it doesn't become infected by the MA liberals that move there. hope that people who move there are wanting to keep New Hampshire free. Otherwise guess I'll have to look elsewhere. Didn't NH just pass Constitutional Carry - no CCW/LTC required?

AWESOME! It is really looking better and better to make the move to the Live Free or Die state!
Hope it doesn't become infected by the MA liberals that move there. hope that people who move there are wanting to keep New Hampshire free. Otherwise guess I'll have to look elsewhere. Didn't NH just pass Constitutional Carry - no CCW/LTC required?

yes but hassan said she wouldn't sign it.

however it's yet to be seen whether it'll pass without her signature, or if she'll veto it.

Governor stated she will veto the legislation... monitoring and making phone calls.

- - - Updated - - -

Yuup

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE

CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS

State Jurisdiction

Section 159:26

159:26 Firearms, Ammunition, and Knives; Authority of the State. –

Thank you for the thorough answer, I appreciate it.

Enjoy the freedom, please vote to keep it that way. If your note interested in voting that way, please stay in mass.

Trust me, I'm as pro gun as you guys. One big reason I found a job in NH is to get the hell out of MA and their gun laws. So I can bring all my guns up and buy all the guns I want without having to worry about the whims of some government idiots and the nitpicky details of MA legislation.

No town can add gun regulations to the state laws. The only power they have is via the RSA 644:13 II b
Correct -- to clarify, towns can exert some control over shooting on public and private lands through noise ordinances (however suppressors are legal here) and also through the "compact part" clause. For further exploration of this topic, see the dozen threads on "[thread=116571]Shooting on your own land in NH[/thread]"

I plan on moving into Nashua from MA soon. I was looking around to not much avail as to whether the gun laws in Nashua differ from those in the rest of the state.
There are a few ways in which Nashua tends to be different from the rest of the state. You will see more "No guns allowed" signs (e.g. on Costco and some malls), however with our non-binding signage these don't have the force of law. You will also be less likely to see open carry, just because it freaks out the soccer moms who drive up from MA to illegally evade sales tax.

Also, keep in mind that the moment you move out of MA, your MA resident LTC-A is null and void, and good luck getting an unrestricted Massachusetts LTC as a non-resident, especially if your forget to inform your old town that you've escaped!

--- Update 6/10/2016 ---
New Hampshire laws changed today, [thread=311309]suppressors are now legal for hunting[/thread] after the passage of HB 500.

Last edited:
You will see more "No guns allowed" signs (e.g. on Costco and some malls), however with our non-binding signage these don't have the force of law.

All correct, just to clarify the non-binding part... If someone has a sign that says no firearms, they can prevent you from entering their business, but entering their business with a firearm is not a crime. They basically can "trespass" you off of their property (if of course they are aware that you have a firearm).

Courthouses aren't allowed.
Post offices aren't allowed.
Schools are up for debate. There's no case law that I've heard on the matter.

You will see more "No guns allowed" signs (e.g. on Costco and some malls), however with our non-binding signage these don't have the force of law. You will also be less likely to see open carry, just because it freaks out the soccer moms who drive up from MA to illegally evade sales tax.

Also, keep in mind that the moment you move out of MA, your MA resident LTC-A is null and void, and good luck getting an unrestricted Massachusetts LTC as a non-resident, especially if your forget to inform your old town that you've escaped!

I shop in the Nashua Costco when I'm up in that area. I have never seen any no guns allowed sign on their property. Can you please tell me where you saw such a sign? I know all about their corporate policy and I also know some store managers in MA and their attitude towards said policy (I've discussed it with them, they won't enforce it and there are no signs).

As for former MA residents getting an unrestricted NR LTC, if their prior resident LTC was unrestricted, that is what they will get with >90% certainty if they apply as NRs. I've explained it before and that info is direct from the woman who runs FRB and makes those decisions.

Back
Top Bottom