Near-Fest Idiocy

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Get a load of the idiotic thought process by those that run Near-Fest!

Should Proof of Vaccination be Required to Attend Large Public Events?

If they decide to implement this, I won't be attending any more Near-Fests on general principles.

BTW, the couple of times a few years back that I tried to register for his forums, I get this: "Sorry, registration is currently disabled." I guess he likes to talk to himself!

Sounds like things are getting kinda Rev.13:-ish

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

There is going to be a lot of this. Jokes on them their women will be sterile and they will have autoimmune diseases. At least half the country are in the NFW vaxx camp eventually there will be our own events with our own people. One important thing is you have to keep the vaxxed out or they will co-opt your event, every single time. When the times come remember that, no vaxxed allowed.

I question the premise of a “near-fest“ during a pandemic ...[smile]
LOL ... They cancelled both of them in 2020. You typically avoid other people at Near-Fest. It's held at the Deerfield Fairgrounds (NH). Home - NEAR-Fest.com

NOt speaking for @Quite_Exasperated , but wouldn't it be a better thing to have everybody do this remotely? Isn't the WHOLE POINT to communicate from a distance? They should organize it and have everybody do whatever it is they do from their own home locations. In fact, the more wide-spread, the better, I would think.

NOt speaking for @Quite_Exasperated , but wouldn't it be a better thing to have everybody do this remotely? Isn't the WHOLE POINT to communicate from a distance? They should organize it and have everybody do whatever it is they do from their own home locations. In fact, the more wide-spread, the better, I would think.
Unlike the old Boxboro expo that was largely educational (seminars) plus a flea market, Near-Fest is a flea market with a handful of (usually repeat) seminars. It's hard to buy/sell old crap sight-unseen over the Internet or radio, so Near-Fest has to be a hands-on type of event.

1607371311642.png

The guy that runs this seems to be a very strange person...he even calls himself a "benevolent" dictator or used to on the nearfest website.

He still does and I don't think he's benevolent, but dictator does fit.
Yeah, I just looked up his site...he calls himself nearfest "founder" too. By name, maybe, but he only continued what has been going on since a long time ago. He's not the founder...it was called the Deerfield Hamfest for years, even after it moved around to several other fairgounds over the years...Hopkinton, NH, Rochester, NH, etc. Like I said..strange. He has a definite Napoleonic complex going on.

When things go back to something resembling normal I still want to get like a few tables, maybe with some of my ham/cb bros but I want to have at least one table with a setup that has soap and deodorant for sale on it. Just to see how many people "get it". [rofl]

When things go back to something resembling normal I still want to get like a few tables, maybe with some of my ham/cb bros but I want to have at least one table with a setup that has soap and deodorant for sale on it. Just to see how many people "get it". [rofl]

I'm down widdat...A couple of cellophane packs of Irish Spring (original) and a few cans of Arid Extra Dry...works for me...LOL

Last edited:
Basically new englands largest hamfest, thankfully outdoors so when you get near someone that stinks too much you can recoil a little bit and move yourself out of "being downwind" of the offender.
You should go to the hamfest in Gainesville some day. Epic signal.

Yeah, I just looked up his site...he calls himself nearfest "founder" too. By name, maybe, but he only continued what has been going on since a long time ago. He's not the founder...it was called the Deerfield Hamfest for years, even after it moved around to several other fairgounds over the years...Hopkinton, NH, Rochester, NH, etc. Like I said..strange. He has a definite Napoleonic complex going on.
Wasn't it called Hoss Traders back in the 1980s-90s? Perhaps more computer junk back then, but it isn't lacking computer junk these days either. I used to hear about that flea market when I was at DEC. I got my ticket in 2017 and never attended any ham flea markets (other than MIT, buying batteries and computer junk) before that.

Your assessment of Mike is spot-on.

Positive Reps that he gives himself. The ability to register on that forum has been disabled for the past 3 years at least.

Wasn't it called Hoss Traders back in the 1980s-90s?
Hosstraders
colorhorse.JPG

WA1ZCQ's chronology, strictly from his memory:
Spring only
73-75 Seabrook
76-~79 Deerfield

Twice a year
~80-86S? Deerfield
86F?-87S? East Kingston
88-90 Deerfield
91-99? Rochester
'00?-'06 Hopkinton/Contoocook
-----

I evidently started in/after '88.

I got my ticket in 2017 and never attended any ham flea markets (other than MIT, buying batteries and computer junk) before that.
A fella could equip a pretty good meth lab
with all of the glassware they sell at MIT.

I never fondle any of it,
in case it came straight from
a chem/bio lab, clinic(, or meth lab)
without being cleaned and sterilized.

Plus in retrospect,
it keeps my fingerprints off of the glassware,
so that if someone else does equip a meth lab with it,
I'm not going to be a target of the dragnet after the lab is raided...

Last edited:
I started going in 81 when it was in Deerfield. Yes Len, it was Hosstraders. I couldn’t for the life of me remember the old name.

I've missed a few over the years. As far as computer trash...it's always been there but there has always been a lot of boat anchor radios too...some of it pretty cool stuff. I usually just buy parts, wire, antenna stuff.

There used to be one in July on the flight apron at MHT, long before MHT got as big as it is now.....that would've been in the early 80s...I forgot what the actual name was but we used to call it the Frying Pan. That tarmac got HOT.

Last edited:
It was Hoss Traders until the original founders all decided to "retire" from running it. I started going back in the early 1980s when I first got my ticket. The format hasn't changed much in all that time.

It's ridiculous to require anything since 95% or more is held outside. There are a few commercial buildings and one building where some seminars and exams are held, but that's it.

Even if you don't buy anything it's fun to walk around and see the crazy prices people are asking for what's essentially scrap metal. I swear some people super glue their items for "sale" to the table and store them that way between shows.

Come to think of it, there's another cross over from some gun shows I've been too.

I wonder what idiocy the people who run the Flea at MIT will come up with this spring?

Wasn't it called Hoss Traders back in the 1980s-90s? Perhaps more computer junk back then, but it isn't lacking computer junk these days either. I used to hear about that flea market when I was at DEC. I got my ticket in 2017 and never attended any ham flea markets (other than MIT, buying batteries and computer junk) before that.

Your assessment of Mike is spot-on.

Back
Top Bottom