• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Near-Fest Spring 2010

I have not missed a Near-fest or Hosstraders in years. I will be there. I usually camp overnight. Maybe we can put together a NES campsite up there if there is enough interest.

For some reason I was thinking this was in the fall...

Doubt I'll camp, but I'll probably be there. Likely I'll take the bike up if it's good weather. (need to figure out how to rig my HT on the bike...)

I've had my camper set up in the same spot for every event since NF1.
It's on flat ground, in the lower area, away from the main crowd.
It also has an open view of the sky to the Southwest, which is very important if you want to set up a satellite dish.
It doesn't get too crowded and there are level cement slabs for the campers/trailers, with water and electricity.
I propose we congregate in this area. Here's the map of the fairgrounds, I marked the area with a blue circle.
If anyone remembers the guy selling all the satellite dishes at NF#2,3,4 and 5, that was me.

NF_Map.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't get too crowded and there are level cement slabs for the campers/trailers, with water and electricity.
I propose we congregate in this area. Here's the map of the fairgrounds, I marked the area with a blue circle.

NF1.jpg

Map didn't come through...

It also has an open view of the sky to the Southwest, which is very important if you want to set up a satellite dish.
If anyone remembers the guy selling all the satellite dishes at NF#2,3,4 and 5, that was me.

NF_Map.jpg

Sounds good to me. How early should we plan to set up in order to secure that area?

Sounds good to me. How early should we plan to set up in order to secure that area?

If you can get there when the gates open that's fine.
I usually get there between 10-11am on FRIDAY morning.
KB1/FX gets there early and parks his car on the slab I use and reserves it for me.
When I show up, I call him on 900 and he comes down and moves it for me.
Nice to have friends!

I found the aerial photo that was once posted, and now gone from, the Near-Fest website.
It was taken by Kim WA1/PBU while flying his plane over the fairgrounds during Near-Fest #1. He sent me a full resolution copy, which I had to scale down by 50% to make fit here. I circled the spot where I was set up, on the camper slabs w/water and electric hookups.

Deerfest1.jpg

I hang out with the PRA group and the GEMOTO group on a triangle across from a mens' and ladies' room.
I check in with the BARS group as I'm a member and VE for them.

Note to Bob...NEARFEST is way smellier than Marlborough. There are people there who only leave their cellar ham shacks on Nearfest weekends. The "greenies" are a trip.

I've been a wimp lately and have been hoteling it.

Last edited:
Is it me or does the ground in NH just look better than Mass?

Not better, just "Freer" Is that a word? "More Free" maybe that's grammatically correct! [rofl]

I will be at DeerChester in all my Pigfest glory!

Zappa, I think I can see my truck but not sure, can I have a peek at the high res version? [smile]

Note to Bob...NEARFEST is way smellier than Marlborough. There are people there who only leave their cellar ham shacks on Nearfest weekends. The "greenies" are a trip.

yikes... I was willing to let myself believe that the... ahem.. aroma... was due to the venue being a school cafeteria...

Maybe there would be a market in ham radio accessory shaped soaps... we could offer various scents to entice hams to use them: "burnt resistor" or "ode de ozone", maybe "hot phenolic". We could make some money while bringing hygiene to the ham community.

Good idea. I vote 2M. My HT does both but isn't 2M more common?

ETA: Wow, simplex. I haven't done that yet.

Well, we can always have a 2 meter and a 440 option.

How about 147.485MHz with a PL of 146.2 for 2 meter; and 446.315MHz with a PL of 146.2 for 70cm?
No reason for suggesting those frequencies, they're just listed as Simplex frequencies under the ARRL band plan.

Back
Top Bottom