• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Near-Fest XIII

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Who's going ???

http://www.near-fest.com:8084/nearfest/

I plan to be there Friday 5/3, unless the weather sucks, then I'll come up for the day Saturday.
I'm not bothering with bringing up the camper and staying overnight anymore.
They jacked up the fees to stupid levels and it's not worth paying an extra $30 to stay overnight.

Last edited:
14 hours before the gates open to the general public.
The weather forecast is as good as it gets, which is very unusual for this event. [laugh]

I don't think I can make it now. I have a lot of available work on my plate and not enough time.

You need to pick up a 2m rig. I just got mine today and i'm just waiting now on a callsign. Have fun~
He's the brainiac that got his Tech and General in 1 day[cheers]. He also needs an HF rig...with power supply, multi-band wire antenna, tuner with SWR needles, lots of coax, a log book, a lightning arrestor, a ground rod, some braid or #6 wire for grounding the shack, a Craig's List desk for a shack...$$$[devil]$$$

Yeah, thanks to you I not only spend all my available cash on firearms AND now, ham gear[thumbsup]
just what I need; another obsession! Dipped into the last of the 'slush' fund to bring to Near-Fest on Sat....hoping to find some gear to get the shack started. BTW When will we get our call? I checked again this AM and still not on the list.....Maybe you Cape Ann guys were too good at helping us noobs get our ticket... I think we overwhelmed the FCC by inundating them with new licensees!

Yeah, thanks to you I not only spend all my available cash on firearms AND now, ham gear[thumbsup]
just what I need; another obsession! Dipped into the last of the 'slush' fund to bring to Near-Fest on Sat....hoping to find some gear to get the shack started. BTW When will we get our call? I checked again this AM and still not on the list.....Maybe you Cape Ann guys were too good at helping us noobs get our ticket... I think we overwhelmed the FCC by inundating them with new licensees!

Just checked again and the new calls are on the FCC database

Count your blessings. Back when I started in ham radio, the delay was anywhere from two to three months and you couldn't operate until you had the FCC license in hand.

It was a great day for Near-Fest, weather was perfect and the turnout was huge.
Lots of good stuff this time, not just the same tired old crap that people have been hauling up and back for ages. [laugh]
I picked up a really nice Haliburton locking aluminum hard case (18"x 13.5"x 6") for $65, which will make a very nice gun case.
I also grabbed a BC590XLT "Frankenscanner" for $10. This has been modded with some extra silly switches and knobs like I've never seen. I really have no clue what they do, but it has the CTCSS decoder board in it, so that alone is worth far more than what I paid for the whole unit.
There were tons of decent laptops available from several vendors for short money.
I bought a Dell Latitude D600 for $60 with a working battery and DVD drive. I plan on using it to run Kenwood programming software, the keyboard on my old Compaq Armada was failing so I got this as a replacement.
I tested it with a movie DVD and it worked fine, nice screen with good color and resolution.

I picked up my first rig, a Yaesu FT-736R for 500.00
I was given a couple of antennas which will need a little cleaning up etc. Hope to get on the air early next week.
ft_736.jpg

Thanks! Nice guy selling and he answered all my dopey questions. Connected her up to a Cushcraft 2mtr ringo antenna stuck on a pole in my backyard and having a ball on 2 meters

Great talking to you. I hope you can figure out the Simplex. We can try another freq some other time. Everything sounded great.

- - - Updated - - -

We need to setup a QSO on 2 meter simplex.

Where are you located Realtor Ma?

Ok. How about 145.525?
Maybe around 9?
What frequency and what time is the caara net? Is that on the Gloucester repeater?

Ok. How about 145.525?
Maybe around 9?
What frequency and what time is the caara net? Is that on the Gloucester repeater?

yes 145.130 with 107.2 PL tone

I referred to my ARRL repeater directory freq listed for simplex
146.40-146.58
147.42-147.57
I'm a noob; aren't we s'posed use these?
145.50-145.80 Misc and experimental modes is it ok to use for simplex?
The book says to check with our freq coordinator for local information
Is this the same as the commercial that says to ask my doctor about the little purple pill?
I figured out last night how to set my rig for simplex (otherwise it does the repeater 600 hz offset)

I figured out last night how to set my rig for simplex (otherwise it does the repeater 600 hz offset)
We will try it tonight after the net! 146.400.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also be checking in on the CAARA Net tonight if I am still awake. Daughter number 2 arrived at noon today and I worked last night (no sleep yet).

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom