• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NEAR-Fest

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
Anyone going?

NEAR-Fest XIX
April 29 & 30, 2016

Deerfield, New Hampshire

The fair is 15 minutes from me, so I am going to go check it out, but I am not really sure what to expect.

Last edited:
If I can get a ride, I'd love to go.

Need to check with a couple guys in town to see if they have plans to go.

Anyone going?
NEAR-Fest XIX
April 29 & 30, 2016

Deerfield, New Hampshire

Ayuh.

... The fair is 15 minutes from me, so I am going to go check it out, but I am not really sure what to expect.

About 2½ barns worth of commercial vendors.

So many tailgaters selling stuff that on a good weekend it takes most of a day to really hit them all. The really good rigs will change hands within a couple hours of opening (except for sellers that only come up on Saturday).

Only about three food vendors will be open:

• Deerfield Community Church
  • Pastarama Polish Kitchen
  • Angelino's Sausage Truck

But shouldn't that be enough for anyone?

73's,

Anyone going?

The fair is 15 minutes from me, so I am going to go check it out, but I am not really sure what to expect.

Vendors with parts and gear. Some food. Tents. Campers, wannabe musicians. Probably some BO too but since its (mostly) outside it won't be too bad....

If its anything like the old days don't bother with Sunday, by then it's table scraps... although occasionally you get the last minute deals but its rare.

Last edited:
I am planning on going and am in for the NES meet up. I have never been to NEAR-Fest. Any recommendations for nearby lodging?

Your best bet would be something in Manch, it's only about 20 minutes from there. Deerfield is pretty rural, not a whole lot going on.

Ayuh.

About 2½ barns worth of commercial vendors.

So many tailgaters selling stuff that on a good weekend it takes most of a day to really hit them all. The really good rigs will change hands within a couple hours of opening (except for sellers that only come up on Saturday).

Only about three food vendors will be open:
  • Deerfield Community Church
  • Pastarama Polish Kitchen
  • Angelino's Sausage Truck

But shouldn't that be enough for anyone?

73's,

Sounds like a ball to me.

Vendors with parts and gear. Some food. Tents. Campers, wannabe musicians. Probably some BO too but since its (mostly) outside it won't be too bad....

If its anything like the old days don't bother with Sunday, by then it's table scraps... although occasionally you get the last minute deals but its rare.

Since becoming an adult, I just expect BO at most large congregations of adults. [laugh]

Been to everyone for 20 years. Big social event also for MANY of us old farts [rofl].....the fest is ONLY Friday and Saturday....NO Sunday -AB1CQ

Been to everyone for 20 years. Big social event also for MANY of us old farts [rofl].....the fest is ONLY Friday and Saturday....NO Sunday -AB1CQ

Well, at least at one time I went up there on what I thought was a sunday morning and everyone was cleaning their shit up and
leaving. [laugh] This was years ago though so my memory might be fuzzy.

ETA: Shit, this is back when it was Hosstraders, that's how long it's been since I've been to one of those things. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
Since becoming an adult, I just expect BO at most large congregations of adults. [laugh]

If you've never been to a hamfest, this is different. Like worse than a gun show, bad, although this isn't nearly as bad as like boxboro or any of those deals where there are a ton of people smashed into a building, which is 100 times worse.

One great thing about these things is there are at least 2 or 3 vendors who have weird parts for shit that you never see anywhere else, and you will usually end up dropping some money to buy shit. In that regard hamfests are a lot more useful than gun shows.

-Mike

Last edited:
It is a tradition with some members of my club to head up the day before NEAR-Fest and camp out (if you can call parking your motor-home camping [laugh]).
Although I have been asked numerous times I have never been up there.

Last event I attended was the ARRL centennial convention in Hartford, and I was underwhelmed.
I have not been to Boxboro in quite a while, but I may find an opportunity now that they have changed it from a semi-annual to annual event. (at least I think they did)

It is a tradition with some members of my club to head up the day before NEAR-Fest and camp out (if you can call parking your motor-home camping [laugh]).
Although I have been asked numerous times I have never been up there.

Last event I attended was the ARRL centennial convention in Hartford, and I was underwhelmed.
I have not been to Boxboro in quite a while, but I may find an opportunity now that they have changed it from a semi-annual to annual event. (at least I think they did)

I think Boxboro is much better than that show that the ARRL put on in Hartford for the 100th. Hartford was underwhelming to say the least.

I went this morning with no real purpose other then to get out of the house and take the dog for a good walk. I was surprised how much was there and how nice everyone was. I wish I had a few more dollars in my pocket, but I wound up picking up a 13.8v power supply I needed and got out in the nice weather so that's a win. I will be going next year for sure.

I went Friday, got there at 3:30, the turnout wasn't as big I expected, considering the weather actually cooperated.
It appeared to be mostly the same old junk I've been looking at for years.
I spent $20 to drive in, then only $18 while I was there.
Got a nice Igloo cooler for $1.00, and I spent another buck for a chainsaw wrench, which I pulled out of a bin full of tools and the seller had no clue what it was. [laugh]

I went Friday morning. It was my first venture and I guess I did not read the memo-I did not realize it was just a flea market. I am glad I parked outside-it was free and it made it easy to leave. I did find some connectors, speakers and some newer stuff for really good prices. I spent the rest of the day visiting gun shops in search of elusive FGM large rifle primers. No luck with that but it was still an enjoyable day off.

Well, I was a bit underwhelmed to say the least. I was hoping for more dealers who sell radios and accessories. I just don't know enough yet to be able to spot stuff when I walk by.

I did meet a nice dealer from NJ. Picked up a book on D-Star. Will call him tomorrow. He didn't have the Heil adapter cables I need to go from the PR10 desk mic to my Icom. He said he carries them, but just didn't have them He wrote down the model numbers on his card and gave it to me. For that, I will call and order from him. He didn't have to do that...and I respect the fact that he was willing to give me the info full well knowing I don't have to buy it from him.

Picked up some ammo cans for a buddy. Bought another hardened power battery pack dealy. Those things are very cool. Bought a jumper for connecting my tuner to my HF rig. A couple barrel connectors. It wasn't a wasted trip, but I was just expecting something else. OH...and I got a Realistic 300 channel scanner for $20.

Well, I was a bit underwhelmed to say the least. I was hoping for more dealers who sell radios and accessories.

I should have warned you, hamfests actually are terrible for radios. The best stuff at hamfests was always the oddball parts, connectors, cables, etc, that you couldn't find anywhere else. Kind of like when you go to a gun show and you find nothing you like but you always stop and get a bag of jerky or a bunch of those weird cleaning items you've never seen anywhere else kind of thing.

-Mike

I should have warned you, hamfests actually are terrible for radios. The best stuff at hamfests was always the oddball parts, connectors, cables, etc, that you couldn't find anywhere else. Kind of like when you go to a gun show and you find nothing you like but you always stop and get a bag of jerky or a bunch of those weird cleaning items you've never seen anywhere else kind of thing.

-Mike

Heh...lesson learned.

I talked to W1JXR (trustee of the Paxton Repeater Callsign) and he was saying how much more interesting the Ham Con is at Boxboro. Talks and what not...want to try and attend THAT if I can.

Heh...lesson learned.

I talked to W1JXR (trustee of the Paxton Repeater Callsign) and he was saying how much more interesting the Ham Con is at Boxboro. Talks and what not...want to try and attend THAT if I can.

That is what I was expecting at N-F. Boxboro is pretty good. There are more vendors, exam sessions, lot's of talks and a fair amount of flea type stuff.... Bob, the current CMARA club president, sets up his RV with a tower in the parking lot. This year, it's September 9-11: http://boxboro.org/2016/index.html

That is what I was expecting at N-F. Boxboro is pretty good. There are more vendors, exam sessions, lot's of talks and a fair amount of flea type stuff.... Bob, the current CMARA club president, sets up his RV with a tower in the parking lot. This year, it's September 9-11: http://boxboro.org/2016/index.html

Heh...I've heard stories about Bob's RV. I know he'll be using it at the CMARA field day in June. That will be my first opportunity to see it first hand.

By the way, the field day activities for CMARA are moving to a private location in Oakham (price increases at old site). Since it is a private site, I don't think it will be open to the general public. It's unfortunate. We had a good crowd last year, including local state officials.

If you're in central MA, you can still join the club before Field Day. Meetings are the third Thursday of the month. http://cmara.org/meetings/index.html. it is quite an active club.

Back
Top Bottom