NearFest May 3-4

Nope!

They just posted the schedule of events, nothing of interest even though my NH house isn't very far away from the event.

NEAR-Fest XXV Schedule of Events

I HATE that they don't post the schedule until a week prior to the event. Almost every session is a repeat of the last Near-Fest session.

Nope!

They just posted the schedule of events, nothing of interest even though my NH house isn't very far away from the event.
Hamfests, you're doing it wrong.

I think I literally attended fleas for a couple of decades
before I sat in on my first "event".

Talk about being behind the door when clues were handed out,
it was my third or fourth Boxboro before I discovered that
there was a ballroom, let alone that it contained commercial vendors.

No matter how much you thirst for knowledge,
the primary activity is the thrill of the chase.
(I think I vulched one or two 40-pin IDC ribbon cables out of that very pile).

I HATE that they don't post the schedule until a week prior to the event. Almost every session is a repeat of the last Near-Fest session.
If "just like last time, only more so" disappoints you,
just wait until you attend the second Field Day in a row
from the same ham radio club
Any ham radio club,
twice in a row.

Hamfests, you're doing it wrong.

I think I literally attended fleas for a couple of decades
before I sat in on my first "event".

Talk about being behind the door when clues were handed out,
it was my third or fourth Boxboro before I discovered that
there was a ballroom, let alone that it contained commercial vendors.

No matter how much you thirst for knowledge,
the primary activity is the thrill of the chase.
(I think I vulched one or two 40-pin IDC ribbon cables out of that very pile).

If "just like last time, only more so" disappoints you,
just wait until you attend the second Field Day in a row
from the same ham radio club
Any ham radio club,
twice in a row.

I bought all the gear (new from HRO), now I just need to set it up at the new house. Not looking for trinkets, so the flea is of no real interest and if I want fleas, I can always go to MIT.

Good grief, if you need ribbon cables, I think I have a box full from the old days of computing. Connectors too (probably ex-DEC variety).

I missed the 2nd Field Day last year, recovering from back surgery. This year I may likely go to the Nashua one, so it will be different.

I wasn't impressed with my first FD from one club also too much of a rookie. One person operated CW while the rest of us sat around shooting the breeze . . . but the BBQ steak tips were awesome.

My second club had some neat setups but again too much of a rookie to understand what was happening.

I bought all the gear (new from HRO), now I just need to set it up at the new house. Not looking for trinkets, so the flea is of no real interest and if I want fleas, I can always go to MIT.
It's all fun and games until you need a gen-u-wine silver-plated teflon PL-259.

Good grief, if you need ribbon cables, I think I have a box full from the old days of computing. Connectors too (probably ex-DEC variety).

Most kind; thanks. The application is to remove the connector from the ribbon,
and use it to insulate Raspberry Pi GPIO header pins.

I missed the 2nd Field Day last year, recovering from back surgery. This year I may likely go to the Nashua one, so it will be different.

I wasn't impressed with my first FD from one club also too much of a rookie. One person operated CW while the rest of us sat around shooting the breeze . . . but the BBQ steak tips were awesome.

My second club had some neat setups but again too much of a rookie to understand what was happening.
I bet NARC NARS goes big.

At worst, they probably have a Get On The Air station,
where you can hang out with whoever is tasked with
introducing newbies and guests to ham radio.

Don't recall whether your ticket is too old for contacts to
count towards the station score, but you can still absorb a lot there.

They might well have "Toolbox Talks",
which are right up your alley.

I've had tickets and a parking pass for a while and the weather dosn't look too bad so I think I'll take a ride over in the afternoon see if there are any trinkets or toys for me.

Nope- Operating as a rover for the New England QSO Party.
Make sure you guys get on HF and run your pileups Saturday Night and Sunday.

NZ1U/m

upload_2019-5-2_16-26-49.png

Can't get fri off, will be going sat instead, more than likely....

-Mike

Just got back and I scored a few toys and got a few trinkets I had been looking for. It was raining and a lot of people had already left when I got there and I only went through about 1/2 of the tables.

1. Kenwood TS-520S Hybrid Sticking knobs but all else works and appears to be in working condition just needs some cleaning and TLC $60.00

2. Kenwood TS-830S Hybrid Low Power output @40 watts across all frequency's $30.00

3. (2) 12BY7 Tubes NOS (for my Kenwood Hybrids) $3.00 each

4. (6) 6146B Tubes NOS (for my Kenwood Hybrids) 3 matched pairs $15.00 each pair

5. Older Weller dual soldering station

6. Some test equipment

Misc other stuff too much to list right now.

I was able to power up both radios and they both appear to be fixable. I'll document and start a thread when i get into these.

Last edited:
I was up there yesterday and scored a Dentron MT-2000a 3kw tuner for $60. I'm in the slow process of building a power amp, hoping to finish this year, so this will be a good addition for the shack

I'll be back today with an old friend of mine (86 years old) that can no longer drive. It's be slow going but that's fine. This could be his last fleamarket. We've been going to this one in it's various configuration for about 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom