• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need a bigger safe

I don't see many used safes for sale. I'm debating on buying another, or selling the one I have and then buying a much larger one. What is resale like on gun safes?

This is why everybody says you need to do the math before you buy your first -- add up all the guns you think you'll buy in the next decade, and double that.

Resale market is not great, dealers might buy a used safe, pennies on the dollar. Otherwise you'll need to find somebody who happens to be in the market for a safe about the size of your old one, and then also deal with moving it.

What do you have, a tractor supply, dicks, costco type safe like a winchester, field and stream or big horn?

Even if a safe were in perfect condition, I would pay more than 50% of the new price. I would need to go to the house, move it out or whatever to get it in the truck vs. getting one at a store and they load it with a forklift or it's delivered. And I say 50% max but it would almost certainly be a decent amount less than that.

I understand the bit about buying larger than you need. But I only have so much money at a given time. If I plan on doubling the size for a decade worth of guns, I might need a bank vault.

Even once you figure out how many rifles you will be storing, you get to play the capacity game. Unless you own nothing but bolt action .22s, throw their number right out the window.

There is a simple formula to figure out how many rifles a safe will actually hold. Take the number they give you, divide by 2 and subtract 1. (X=Y/2 -1) Therefore a safe advertised as holding 24, will actually hold 11

Even once you figure out how many rifles you will be storing, you get to play the capacity game. Unless you own nothing but bolt action .22s with the bolts removed, throw their number right out the window.

There is a simple formula to figure out how many rifles a safe will actually hold. Take the number they give you, divide by 2 and subtract 1. (X=Y/2 -1) Therefore a safe advertised as holding 24, will actually hold 11

FIFY [rofl]

Got one if these and am very pleased.
avegy7an.jpg

I understand the bit about buying larger than you need. But I only have so much money at a given time. If I plan on doubling the size for a decade worth of guns, I might need a bank vault.
Rather than trading up to one bigger safe, consider buying a second safe... and then a third safe... (rinse and repeat). Unless you go big dollars/super-premium, nothing slows down a thief or limits his haul better than utilizing multiple safes (especially if dispersed throughout the house). [thumbsup]

there is nothing wrong with two safes! Or one safe for ammo only. I have 4 of various sizes LOL

I'll be posting one for sale soon. Summit safe Rainier edition. 56 x 28 x 72. Still gotta empty it and take some pics.
PM me if you're serious. It'll take a rigger or a small army to move it.
I hate to get rid of it, but uncle sam bent me over and fisted me this year. Some stuffs gotta go.

Last edited:
Words of wisdom: always buy a safe at least two sizes larger than you think you need.

Or like others said if cash is short now get what you can afford and buy a second one later on. I have already filled my first one to capacity and will be getting a second one soon.......but my safes are not in the "pretty" part of the house so having more than one is not an issue at all. Tractor supply sells a good Winchester one for like 300 bucks.........just buy.....fill.....buy another and fill.....repeat.

Or like others said if cash is short now get what you can afford and buy a second one later on. I have already filled my first one to capacity and will be getting a second one soon.......but my safes are not in the "pretty" part of the house so having more than one is not an issue at all. Tractor supply sells a good Winchester one for like 300 bucks.........just buy.....fill.....buy another and fill.....repeat.

Just keep doing this while you still can

Walmart had a nice fireproof/water proof stack on. Electronic lock. For under 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered the rifle rods that can go in the safe in place of the plywood with the cutouts to lean your rifles against?
How big is your safe?
Mine are supposed to come in tomorrow and my 24 gun safe is overloaded because of my bolt action rifles. Im trying to avoid having the bolt ding up the wood on the guns
I'll post before and after pictures here of it works out.

Have you considered the rifle rods that can go in the safe in place of the plywood with the cutouts to lean your rifles against?
How big is your safe?
Mine are supposed to come in tomorrow and my 24 gun safe is overloaded because of my bolt action rifles. Im trying to avoid having the bolt ding up the wood on the guns
I'll post before and after pictures here of it works out.

This started getting crowded when I added 2 K98s and a MSAR and I had a hard time fitting them all in it. The MSAR was weird and took up a lot of space. for being so small. I am avoiding having them ding each other up, especially the bolt guns. I just also noticed my GSG5 isn't in there either.
I bought these rifle rods to get rid of the partition. There's so much more space now. But my issue now is that I want to organize it better than what I did last night at 2am.

My only complaint so far is for shorter guns these rods are only 16". I've contacted the seller and asked if they offer anything longer. The solution to that is to put a box of ammo or two under those guns. You can see that my AR barely hangs on and the MSAR is too short even with the box

10458670_10152284877143611_2721969978099863467_n.jpg

10464233_10152284877213611_390684614218311044_n.jpg

10406480_10152284877343611_8663486267025686277_n.jpg

10447725_10152284877393611_6597873312446560171_n.jpg

10375979_10152284877443611_5765599857516159835_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10375979_10152284877443611_5765599857516159835_n.jpg
    10375979_10152284877443611_5765599857516159835_n.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
This started getting crowded when I added 2 K98s and a MSAR and I had a hard time fitting them all in it. The MSAR was weird and took up a lot of space. for being so small. I am avoiding having them ding each other up, especially the bolt guns. I just also noticed my GSG5 isn't in there either. I bought these rifle rods to get rid of the partition. There's so much more space now. But my issue now is that I want to organize it better than what I did last night at 2am. My only complaint so far is for shorter guns these rods are only 16". I've contacted the seller and asked if they offer anything longer. The solution to that is to put a box of ammo or two under those guns. You can see that my AR barely hangs on and the MSAR is too short even with the box

Have you looked at adding a piece of PVC pipe to the barrel to make it longer? If you put an end cap on it and drill the hole for the rod, it should work reasonably well.

Have you looked at adding a piece of PVC pipe to the barrel to make it longer? If you put an end cap on it and drill the hole for the rod, it should work reasonably well.

Damn never even thought of that. Too focused with just the simply the barrel.
That will definitely work will update with a picture after I do that

Back
Top Bottom