Need advice replacing standard rifle foregrips on AR15

Hey guys,

I am brand new to AR's, looking to replace the standard rifle foregrips on my Century Arms C15 sporter with a full length free float quad rail. I want to loose the A2 front sight which Ive learned is also the gas block. So what would you guys recommend for replacement options?

Thanks
Quinn

All you need is a low profile gas block and the float tube of choice. Pinned or welded muzzle BRAKE is not a deal breaker. You can just use a clamp on gas block.

Couple options

Replace the front sight gas block with a low pro one. Usually held in there with set screws so there's that. You could get a demel and shave it down so it woul fit under the rail. And probably the last option is to just leave it there and run the rail around it. I think it's Midwest industries has one and also DD omega.

My vote run the rail around it

Couple options

Replace the front sight gas block with a low pro one. Usually held in there with set screws so there's that. You could get a demel and shave it down so it woul fit under the rail. And probably the last option is to just leave it there and run the rail around it. I think it's Midwest industries has one and also DD omega.

My vote run the rail around it

+1

All you need is a low profile gas block and the float tube of choice. Pinned or welded muzzle BRAKE is not a deal breaker. You can just use a clamp on gas block.

Not really a "deal breaker", but it can be a PITA with some unnecessary cutting/removing the existing front sight tower and hand guard end cap.

Under normal circumstances, you'd have to remove the muzzle device first in order to remove the front sight tower and end cap.

If it does have a pinned and welded muzzle brake... there're two options: cut off the brake (so the sight tower can be removed), or cut off the sight tower and end cap.

Given a choice, cutting off the muzzle break would be easiest and still give the owner the option of retaining the original sight if need be or desired.

If the muzzle device is pinned/welded, then I would probably just cut/grind down front sight base so that what is left is just the ground-down gas block. If the muzzle device is not pinned/welded, then just pick up a gas block that's designed for free float rails/tubes. The critical aspect here though, is that you need to make note of your barrel's outer diameter at the location of the gas block. There are different size gas blocks to order depending on this dimension.

Also, make note of the rail system's inner sizing to make sure the chosen gas block will fit. For the most part, this last concern isn't much of a concern at all with gas blocks designed to be "low profile".

Hey guys,

I am brand new to AR's, looking to replace the standard rifle foregrips on my Century Arms C15 sporter with a full length free float quad rail. I want to loose the A2 front sight which Ive learned is also the gas block. So what would you guys recommend for replacement options?

Thanks
Quinn

DIBS on your standard foregrips and A2!!! (PM me)

That said, I hear the Midwest Industries ones are a pretty decent buy or bang for the buck.

If the muzzle device is pinned/welded, then I would probably just cut/grind down front sight base so that what is left is just the ground-down gas block. If the muzzle device is not pinned/welded, then just pick up a gas block that's designed for free float rails/tubes. The critical aspect here though, is that you need to make note of your barrel's outer diameter at the location of the gas block. There are different size gas blocks to order depending on this dimension.

Also, make note of the rail system's inner sizing to make sure the chosen gas block will fit. For the most part, this last concern isn't much of a concern at all with gas blocks designed to be "low profile".

The OP lives in NH, so it's unlikely (unless he's a MA or other ban state escapee), that his rifle has a pinned/welded brake on it..

If his AR does have a pinned brake, and he lives in NH, why not remove the brake and install a flash suppressor the way God and Eugene Stoner intended?

At least by removing the brake, and having a threaded barrel, it opens the option of picking up a silencer if the owner decides in the future to go down that path.

The OP lives in NH, so it's unlikely (unless he's a MA or other ban state escapee), that his rifle has a pinned/welded brake on it..

If his AR does have a pinned brake, and he lives in NH, why not remove the brake and install a flash suppressor the way God and Eugene Stoner intended?

At least by removing the brake, and having a threaded barrel, it opens the option of picking up a silencer if the owner decides in the future to go down that path.

I didn't say brake. And I did notice that he's in NH, so I said muzzle device because it's entirely possible that it's a 14.5" barrel with pinned/welded flash hider.

Thanks Guys, the muzzle break is threaded and its a 20'' barrel. The grips on it are about 12'' in length, so i assume I need at least a 12'' quad rail to cover up the original gas tube correct? Anyone have any recommendations for a rail?

Coyote33, I probably just keep the grips and the sight for spare parts but if i change my mind I will let you know.

Thanks!

Shaving down the front sight doesn't sound like a bad idea. It does have a fixed carry handle but I grabbed a stripped flat top upper to replace it.

Hey guys,

Thanks
Quinn

DIBS on your standard foregrips and A2!!! (PM me)

That said, I hear the Midwest Industries ones are a pretty decent buy or bang for the buck.

Did you ever replace them?

Back
Top Bottom