"need" and RI non-res permit?

1. Do I still need to come to RI and take another NRA class and qualify again?

2. Would it be best, (meaning easier to be approved) if I applied to a city PD or the state AG? If it’s better to apply to a City PD, which city would be he best to apply too?

4. What would be the best reason I could use to show “need”. Would my long lengths of travel, and having to carry significant supplies of cash and other supplies be enough? As using ATM’s with their high bank fees are a deterrent to using them, as well as high credit card fees and interest. Suggestions?
I'll answer just the above as I have no knowledge about the other items.

1. No course. Any NRA instructor can run you thru the RI qualification shoot and certify you. They just need the special target and provide a lot of info about their qualification as an instructor to RI.

2. It is my understanding that many get denied by the AG for "insufficient reason" and have to appeal with a dog and pony show. Towns that will issue usually don't hassle applicants like that.

4. Probably like MA, needs to be specific to you, what puts you at unique risk that every tom, dick and harry wouldn't also be able to claim.

I applied through the town of Narragansett. I am a Mass resident but own a house in Narragansett. In my letter I stated all lawful purposes and noted that I had a C&R. The licensing officer called me right at the 90 day mark and said “we are going to issue the permit but can you re-write your letter and talk up the C&R a little bit more” I said sure and picked up permit two days later.

I did take a class at Elite Indoor Pistol Range on RI firearms law and fillling out the application. They are the ones that said all lawful purposes was a valid reason in RI. I highly recommend the class and the facility. They also have an awesome sporting clays course with with 16 or so different stations.

Back
Top Bottom