• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help choosing a competition gun...help!

I'm really torn as to what to purchase for my comp gun. Right now, I shoot a Sig 228 9mm, but its my dads (i shoot with him). Love the gun, but the slide is near impossible to pull back for me and it becomes very frustrating. Also my dad won't sell it to me :( and 228s or their newer brethren, the 229 are pricey and the new ones seem to be having quality control issues.

I'm pretty well versed in a good range of calibers and have settled on a 9mm for my comp gun.

I've held an m&p 9c and it felt like it was built for me which leads me to believe an m&p 9 would be a good choice, but I've heard so much about trigger issues, which I've read is pretty well remedied with a trigger job, but then there seems to be a low resale value that I'm hesitant to go that route.

The feel of a gun in my hands is hugely important to me. I've held several Rugers and they're just not for me. I've also held and fired a Glock 21sf Gen 3 (.45), great gun but just did not feel right in my hands. I've got long fingers but slim hands. My other half (zbomb) is a Glock fanatic and really pushing me to get a Glock, but I really just don't think they're for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The M&P triggers are an easy fix. If the Compact works, then get a Fullsize or long slide. I won't worry about resale value. Are you buying it to shoot or for an investment

Or get a 1911 9mm, much better shooter than the M&P

If Sigs are pricey a decent 1911 is even more so. There are some cost effective options in .45, the Springfield Range Officer, Remington R1 and Ruger 1911 come to mind, but in 9mm I think you are looking at about $1000 for a S&W, but I am sure the 1911 guys will be able to offer more specifics.

If Sigs are pricey a decent 1911 is even more so. There are some cost effective options in .45, the Springfield Range Officer, Remington R1 and Ruger 1911 come to mind, but in 9mm I think you are looking at about $1000 for a S&W, but I am sure the 1911 guys will be able to offer more specifics.

Totally for a 1911, but as you've said they're a lot pricey for me. I really only have like $700 max to spend on this gun. Any 1911 suggestions in that range are welcome! Thanks to all of you who have already replied too!

Totally for a 1911, but as you've said they're a lot pricey for me. I really only have like $700 max to spend on this gun. Any 1911 suggestions in that range are welcome! Thanks to all of you who have already replied too!

Fencer hit it with those options. The Springfield Armory Range Officer is suppose to be a competition ready gun right out of the box with match barrel, etc. (I am buying one soon)

Ruger SR1911 is also an excellent choice. I love mine and have never had 1 issue.

Either one of those guns would be more then enough to shoot IDPA

There is a German made Sig 226 in 9mm in the classifieds right now for $500.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/167579-SIG-P226.

If you shoot the 228 well you should shoot this even better, A little bigger than the 228 but the longer barrel should mean greater accuracy and even less recoil. Another plus is that you can find preban hi capacity mags for it.

Yes, Mr zbomb did suggest a G19 and yes I do have a liking for The Austrian pistol.

It works it's reliable and it's cost effective. It works at the range and as well for a home defense weapon, especially with the added capacity of a couple pre ban mags.

They have a high resale value here in MA if you decide to sell and plenty of buyers.

In my opinion, you do not NEED to do a trigger job or any mods out of the box to make it livable.

I love me a 1911 an will not put in a strong argument against one if we could locate one that could be in the same price range $700-$800 ish while being chambered for a 9.

I like the older sigs but she has trouble racking the slide on them. Not much of an opinion on the newer models besides I have read of a general decline in the quality, no first hand experience on this though.

M&P, immediate thing that comes to mind is MA compliant trigger and needing to put money into it just to get it to where it should be out of the box.

M&P, immediate thing that comes to mind is MA compliant trigger and needing to put money into it just to get it to where it should be out of the box.

Thats what i said, Until i bought my M&P 45FS...friggin gun rocks! it definitely shoots better than I can and i got it used for a pittance. get one, get the trigger done, and run it. the interchangeable back strap makes it a multi person gun (my fiance and i shoot together and no gun fits both of us til this one). I was not a fan until i shot one, if you are close to another NES member im sure they would love to let you run one of thiers, and heck if you are close to me you can run mine if you would like!

Dom

I did a quick search of KTPs used guns, and found two. But I doubt you will be able to purchase them in mass.

http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?...=Manufacturer&sortdir=asc&searchdata=&SeeAll=

$700
174226_5.jpg

http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?...=Manufacturer&sortdir=asc&searchdata=&SeeAll=
$895

172399_3.jpg

I've got a Pro Series S&W 9mm, but its more than 1k for that gun. As a matter of fact, all the 9's i have in the 1911 platform are at 1k or over. You have to go plastic for the OP's price range.

The M&P triggers are an easy fix. If the Compact works, then get a Fullsize or long slide. I won't worry about resale value. Are you buying it to shoot or for an investment

Or get a 1911 9mm, much better shooter than the M&P

This.

If you like the feel of the M&P over a Glock go for it. The lack of pre-ban hi-caps won't be an issue for a gaming/range gun. If you like the Glock better then get that. The APEX stuff make a huge improvement. If you don't have to have a long slide (which are harder to find and more $ in MA) pick up a used full size. You should be able to get one with the stock MA trigger + 2 mags for ~$400'ish. A little more and you may find one with an APEX trigger or extra mags.

you can find an M&P 9mm range kits, gun holster 3 mags mag pouch

for ???$525 or so, maybe $100 for an Apex trigger kit and your in.

$625 fits the OP's requirements. One problem is getting extra mags

at this point, but 3 will do IDPA. Forgot tha LULA loader is in the kit

as well. for around $625 to $650 your ready to go. I have one

and did the trigger job.

Thanks so much all for your help. Looking into finding myself a S&W m&p9 pro series. It's got a 5" barrel, so I figure it will somewhat give it the stature of a 1911, and I plan to have a trigger job done. Really appreciate all the comments.

Thanks so much all for your help. Looking into finding myself a S&W m&p9 pro series. It's got a 5" barrel, so I figure it will somewhat give it the stature of a 1911, and I plan to have a trigger job done. Really appreciate all the comments.

I do know that the mp9 pro isn't readily available, just keeping my fingers crossed to come across a used one. If it takes too long I'll go with the mp with the range kit.

you can find an M&P 9mm range kits, gun holster 3 mags mag pouch for ???$525 or so, maybe $100 for an Apex trigger kit and your in.

$625 fits the OP's requirements. One problem is getting extra mags at this point, but 3 will do IDPA. Forgot tha LULA loader is in the kit

as well. for around $625 to $650 your ready to go. I have one and did the trigger job.

+1 ... . On M&P 9 or M&P 9c as stated above. For trigger job contact Greg Derr (link below) Marshfield, MA, He does a super job,for $85

http://www.derrprecision.com/SERVICES_SW_MP.html

I love my M&P 9c. Also had him add a fiber optic front sight.

As for magazines, had problems obtaining any from four local gun shops, always out-of-stock. Called S&W had 3 mags in five days at same price dealers were charging when they had them in stock..

i'll be the minority and recommend a Steyr M9-A1, excellent ergos, one of the best out of the box triggers you will find, and the sights kick arse for fast target acquisition.

I would go with a Browning Hi Power. They have a great ergonomic feel to them(slim, but double stack), are single action(great trigger), shoot well, and as the OP wanted 9mm. All out of the box, no tweaks needed. One can be had in your price range in Mass, with a little effort.

Also, IMHO one of the best looking firearms out there.

Good luck.

Love the gun, but the slide is near impossible to pull back for me and it becomes very frustrating.

I don't know how long you've been shooting, or the extent of your training, but I've found that 90% of the problems people I deal with have racking the slide is related to poor body mechanics rather than arm strength. I see many, many new shooters with their strong arm fully extended, tugging frutilessly on the rear of the slide with their support hand, and then giving up because it's "too hard to pull back." It's much more of a geometry/mechanics "thing" than a strength "thing," and it comes quickly with practice in the proper form. My 17-year-old daughter is quite petite (size 2), but has no problems with the 22lb spring in an Officer's Model when she uses the right mechanics (gun in close, overhand grip on the slide, simultaneous push-with-the-strong-hand-rip-with-the-support-hand.)

Just saying, you might not want to give up on a preferred weapon until you're certain slide manipulation is out of the question.

I don't know how long you've been shooting, or the extent of your training, but I've found that 90% of the problems people I deal with have racking the slide is related to poor body mechanics rather than arm strength. I see many, many new shooters with their strong arm fully extended, tugging frutilessly on the rear of the slide with their support hand, and then giving up because it's "too hard to pull back." It's much more of a geometry/mechanics "thing" than a strength "thing," and it comes quickly with practice in the proper form. My 17-year-old daughter is quite petite (size 2), but has no problems with the 22lb spring in an Officer's Model when she uses the right mechanics (gun in close, overhand grip on the slide, simultaneous push-with-the-strong-hand-rip-with-the-support-hand.)

Just saying, you might not want to give up on a preferred weapon until you're certain slide manipulation is out of the question.

Just saying, you might not want to give up on a preferred weapon until you're certain slide manipulation is out of the question.[/QUOTE]

I've racked quite a few slides, some easier than others. I don't know that my mechanics are right, but as far as slides go, the Sig is quite tight. Compared to say a Glock, which is like butter to pull back. It's not just the quick racking that I have trouble with, that is relatively easy on any gun, it's locking the slide that gets me.

Thanks so much for your input though. I welcome any advice.

If you are anywhere near Cape Cod and would like to compare my Springfield 1911 9MM to my M&P 9C and my Sig 226, send me an e mail and we can work something out. All three can be shot for comparison.

TY43215 at comcast.net

I would go with a Browning Hi Power. They have a great ergonomic feel to them(slim, but double stack), are single action(great trigger), shoot well, and as the OP wanted 9mm. All out of the box, no tweaks needed. One can be had in your price range in Mass, with a little effort.

Also, IMHO one of the best looking firearms out there.

Good luck.

There's no USPSA division in which the 9mm Hi Power can be competitive. Also, the ergonomics aren't actually that great. While the trigger is single action, it has massive over travel and a long indistinct reset. I shot one for two years in IDPA. My scores were much higher with an M&P 9 *compact*. I now have two M&P 9 pros and sold the BHP. It's a beautiful gun for sure, but time has passed it by.

For starting out in USPSA and IDPA, pick whichever you like better between the Glock 17 or 34, on M&P 9 full size or pro. I've heard good things too about the new 5.25 competition XD, but haven't seen one yet.

Back
Top Bottom