• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help choosing a competition gun...help!

There's no USPSA division in which the 9mm Hi Power can be competitive. Also, the ergonomics aren't actually that great. While the trigger is single action, it has massive over travel and a long indistinct reset.

As you say, the trigger just isn't very good. I've tried a Hi Power and wanted to like it, given my reverence for St. John Moses, but I just couldn't.

For starting out in USPSA and IDPA, pick whichever you like better between the Glock 17 or 34, on M&P 9 full size or pro. I've heard good things too about the new 5.25 competition XD, but haven't seen one yet.

Another alternative is to just start out with the M&P compact. By the time the OP feels it is holding her back, she may have a better handle on what she wants.

Another alternative is to just start out with the M&P compact. By the time the OP feels it is holding her back, she may have a better handle on what she wants.

In the beginning there is so much stuff you need to learn. why try to do that while fighting with the gun

To the OP, clearly there is more than one right answer on a good reccomendation, but try as many as you can and find the one that suits you best. Let us know what you decide.

Browning Hi Power, is my choice. To the BHP haters:

roflbot.jpg

Boticelli, I don't hate the BHP, I loved mine when I had it. However, they're not a great choice for competition. What kind of matches do you shoot with yours? How have you placed?

In the beginning there is so much stuff you need to learn. why try to do that while fighting with the gun

I think for a beginner there won't be a whole lot of difference between an M&Pc and an M&P Pro. I'd suggest that she uses what she has for 1/2 a dozen IDPA matches. If she catches the bug, then start spending money on a competition gun. Chances are, a bunch of shooters will let her try theirs and she'll be in a better position to choose. And if she decides competition isn't for her, she isn't out a bunch of money.

Last edited:
Browning Hi Power, is my choice. To the BHP haters:

No one here hates the Hi Power. We're just objective about it. It has its advantages -- slim grip, reasonable capacity. But the trigger just isn't very good and the Hi Power gives many folks hammer bite. If it was great for IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc., a bunch of guys would be trading in their guns for one. They aren't.

I think for a beginner there won't be a whole lot of difference between an M&Pc and an M&P Pro. I'd suggest that she uses what she has for 1/2 a dozen IDPA matches. If she catches the bug, then start spending money on a competition gun. Chances are, a bunch of shooters will let her try theirs and she'll be in a better position to choose. And if she decides competition isn't for her, she isn't out a bunch of money.

I see your point but still disagree. My wife hates shooting her Glock 23, She doesn't want to shoot matches with it. who could blame her? It is everything that a competition gun should not be, plus its a Glock. I let her shoot my 9mm 1911 set up for SS and now she won't give it back.

I see your point but still disagree. My wife hates shooting her Glock 23, She doesn't want to shoot matches with it. who could blame her? It is everything that a competition gun should not be, plus its a Glock. I let her shoot my 9mm 1911 set up for SS and now she won't give it back.

It doesn't matter, since if you read the OP, she doesn't own the 9c, she's just held it and liked it. Given that, I think the recommendation to buy a used M&P 9 FS, possibly with teh apex trigger parts already installed, is the way to go.

Mrs Zbomb, if you'll be at a match I'm also attending, you're welcome to try my backup 9 pro if you bring factory brass cased 9mm ammo to use.

I am pretty busy usually but live in Douglas and have a M&P 9 Pro if you want to run a couple mags through it. We could probably work something out, it wouldn't take much more than 15 mins. I can shoot right in my back yard. Am a long way off the road and from other houses. Just bring some factory brass cased ammo and shoot all you want. I also have a 40c if you wanted to shoot a compact. I know it's not 9 but you could get a feel for it.

i remember you posting a vid on here supermoto, you are a great shot! you sure have more skill than i do, all the same its not quite the gun (although it certainly helps to have a precision gun with good sights). Having the gun feel good in your hand and being able to acquire a good sight picture, and correctly utilize it is the goal, right? I haven't been in a competition myself (sure seems like fun!) but if i had to choose a gun it would still probably be a glock or an M&P fullsize. Fullsize for someone starting out seems to make more sense (longer sight radius).

Once again, while I am not an expert by any means, but would a very tightly built 1911 be more prone to failure from being dirty or encountering less than ideal conditions (i.e. dust and debris being blown around)? true blue honest question, I have never owned a 1911 and would not know.

Dom

Last edited:
i remember you posting a vid on here supermoto, you are a great shot! you sure have more skill than i do, all the same its not quite the gun (although it certainly helps to have a precision gun with good sights). Having the gun feel good in your hand and being able to acquire a good sight picture, and correctly utilize it is the goal, right? I haven't been in a competition myself (sure seems like fun!) but if i had to choose a gun it would still probably be a glock or an M&P fullsize. Fullsize for someone starting out seems to make more sense (longer sight radius).

Once again, while I am not an expert by any means, but would a very tightly built 1911 be more prone to failure from being dirty or encountering less than ideal conditions (i.e. dust and debris being blown around)? true blue honest question, I have never owned a 1911 and would not know.

Dom

I think the gun make a bigger difference in the beginning then later as you get better. I have seen people struggle and quickly get defeated because their gun is so difficult to shoot well. There is nothing wrong with a fullsize M&P and there are people that actual like using glocks, but compacts are not the way to start out. Having the right equipment makes the sport more enjoyable and some guns just plain work better than others, better triggers, lower bore axis, natural point of aim, better sights etc. And usually great competition guns make great all around guns, so there is nothing to lose .

A very tightly and correctly (correctly is more important, as anyone can mash together a tight gun) will run 100% and will not jam from being dirty or use less than ideal conditions. But they are competition guns, not throw them in the mud guns.

that was a kick ass answer with no snide bologna. you rock supermoto! I think that was some very important information for the OP as well as folks just starting out like me [grin]

Dom

Thanks Dom, every once in a while I have a post that is not full of sarcasm and douchebaggery, usually when I remember to take my meds.

So what is keeping you from showing up at a match?

How are the sights kick ass for fast target acquisitions?
http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sporting-rifles/steyr-pistol-m-a1/
They have a trapezoid rear sight with a triangle front sight, as long as you get the top of the triangle in the trapezoid you are nailing your target. It sounds weird but it works extremely well. I have multiple guns and these sights are by far my favorite, I own the compact version which i carry and have seriously been thinking about getting another in full size just because I love it so much. The trigger is an absolute dream as well, I have no idea how its MA legal because its way lighter than 10lbs and the reset/pull (4mm) is one of the shortest aside from a true SA. Zero Hour is the only authorized dealer in the area. I had not a single intention on buying one of these until I actually held it in person, then they told me to dry fire it, then i knew i had to have it.

Last edited:
Wow! thank you so much to all of your consideration of my issue!

@TY43215 - I just may take you up on this. Right now the CApe is mainly where I shoot. My dad is a member at Bass River and I shoot with him.

@jar - Thanks for the offer! What do you shoot? IDPA? IPSC?

@THESAW249 and Supermoto - Totally agree with both of you, really not looking for something compact to compete with. Definitely going the full size route. I had considered getting the 9c for a carry gun, but it's just a bit large for a legit conceal carry on a lady given the tighter apparell.

@fstkmaro - I hope my other half doesn't see your post. He won't stop nagging me to get a Glock

"Right now, I shoot a Sig 228 9mm, but its my dads (i shoot with him). Love the gun, but the slide is near impossible to pull back for me and it becomes very frustrating. Also my dad won't sell it to me :( "

Any chance your dad would allow a lighter recoil spring in the firearm?
It is an inexpensive modification, easy to do and easy to undo.

That may make pulling the slide back a bit easier for you.
They come in several "pound" ratings.
Best regards.

Last edited:
@jar - Thanks for the offer! What do you shoot? IDPA? IPSC?

I shoot both, but lately I've been shooting more USPSA and 3 gun than IDPA. I make it to USPSA at New Bedford from time to time. I'm a regular at Harvard USPSA and occasional at Harvard and Worcester IDPA.

Hey all, just an update. I've decided to go with the M&P 9mm, full size (not pro)... really really want the pro, but it's just so hard to find since it's not ma compliant and no one seems to want to give theirs up! Also, the range kit is really a steal of a deal. So, if in the future any of you decide to sell your pro series, give me a buzz! Thanks again to everyone. You all helped me make a very informed decision that I'm comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom