• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need ID help: coyote, coydog, coywolf ?

I've seen them in the daytime on many occasions.
I have seen them many times as well. On those other occasions they ran away and were clearly cautious of humans. This was something different. They were actively stocking a human with a dog in the middle of the day.

I live behind a graveyard and I just witnessed two coyotes stock a dog walker behind my house. I was on my second floor deck yelling at the dog walker to the presence of the coyotes. The dog walker turned dog runner and headed over the hill away from me with the two coyotes following behind. Is this normal for coyotes to hunt in the daytime in a semi-urban area?
As the day heats up I am sure to see some more Corona walkers out and about walking the graveyard. Things will get interesting if any off-leash walkers show up.
I'm not sure where you're at but I've seen yotes walking down the sidewalks in the middle of the day like they own the joint, the last one had someone's cat in it's mouth. I'm also seeing more and more foxes lately but they're not nearly as brazen.

Hell, not long ago I had a trash panda sitting upright on 44 giving me the stink eye as I drove passed like he was some sort of tough guy out of Philly(you all know how those Philly guys get after watching Rocky).

An article I wrote 23 years ago; "The Flips"

Adjacent to our Company area and attached to our small base camp near the Cambodian border was a battalion of Filipinos Engineers. Nobody ever succeeded in guessing what the hell they did. They didn't fight, and apparently pissed no one off, least of all the enemy. While our compound and company area was receiving a great deal of attention from the NVA rocket and mortar squads, the "flips" wouldn't bother turning over in their cots. These people knew how to fight a war. Bore the enemy to death. Don't get me wrong we loved these guys and we all wanted to sign-up.
A walk through the 'Flip' compound was always a feast for the senses. The "flips' loved knives and they had one for every occasion. Apparently part of Filipino basic training consisted of learning how to master the art of scrounging and cooking. They were masters of the culinary art. We would stand in awe as they would tackle a large pig, hoist him on to a rickety wooden table while the others were excitedly shouting encouragement, the head honcho would select the proper instrument for the job, a lethal shiv that appeared to be at least three feet long and razor sharp. In a blink of eye the cook severed the carotid artery and plunged that sticker to the hilt. The pig would launch three feet in the air on the first thrust, spraying everything within 15 feet with blood and screaming bloody hog murder. The honcho would then pump the knife frantically in a up and down motion, making a puree of the unfortunate hogs insides. Gulp, I think I ate crackers and peanut butter for the next week.
One night after I put my mini-guns to bed and washed off a layer of lead dust and war. Myself and a few mates wandered over to the "Flip" compound looking for edible meal. Sgt. Crisobal greeted our gang with a great, gap tooth, 18K grin. Like Sgt. Bilko, Crisobal was always looking to trade something, sell some weed, or fleece you in a game of Filipino poker.
I think the Sarge felt pity at the sickly sight us and extended us a hearty invitation for chow. As we entered the mess area which consisted of a dirt floor, a few wooden stools, and large black pot suspended over glowing coals. The smell coming from that nasty black pot was the most wonderful thing imaginable. What's cooking, Sarge? as we licked the lather off our chops. "Stew, meaty stew, a great and delicious meaty stew," he proudly announced. We all dove for the bowls at the same time. As we formed up, Chrisobal picked up the ladle and dished out a large mound of steaming stew. After licking the bark off the bowl and asking for seconds, I noticed a cook behind me working over a smaller pot, deftly he lifted a three foot section of what looked like intestine and squeezed the contents into the container. ER, what are you making there private? "Soup, dog gut soup", big grin....... Burp, how can these people eat that shit? Sarge, go a little deep with that ladle. God, it was a wonderful night.
A couple of days later Breland, our radio operator comes over to me and says, "have you seen "Damn-it" the dog, our gun team mascot ?" No, I say, suppose he was VC? You know Breland you don't think Chrisobal had anything to do with this, do you? That private mentioned something about a dog last night.
The next evening we found the Chrisobal and his boys engaged in a heated game of poker in his 'operations' bunker. "Sarge, have you seen our pet dog, "Damn-it"? Damn-it, Damn-it, what did he look like, pantomiming intense concern? "Well, he was about this tall, brown, kinda stunk, and had the mange. Oh no, I didn't see him, if I do, I'll let you know. Another Flip chimes in, "Sarge, that sounds like the dog we had for supper the other night". Suddenly they explode in laughter, rolling around in the dirt like maniacs. We left those heartless bastards to their twisted little joke, "Breland", I said, "I swear that was the best stew I've ever eaten." Breland, that master of subtlety, summed it up perfectly, "buuurrrp".
I swear this ain't no bullshit,
'De Frenchman'

© 1997 Robert "Frenchie" Gibeault

I know this will probably get my ass in trouble with some folks BUT if your not prepared to defend yourself and dogs against a coyote infringing on your perimeter, HOW will you defend it against a marauding herd if need be? Too bad coyote hunting season just ended a few weeks back.
Dead coyotes tell no tales.

They definitely sound like they need a stern talking to, and a large bowl of Prestone, and obviously always under adult supervision.

Definitely just a fat and happy coyote. Don't be leaving antifreeze out for em, do something humane, that won't poison other animals. Best thing to do is go stomp around in the woods everywhere your seeing them, they'll find a quieter place to hang around. Where I'm at they just get a lead sleeping pill, but I'm in a pretty rural town with a lot of small farms, nobody bats an eye at the sound of a rifle going off.

Where?? The market on fur is not there. Then again you tell me who is paying that and I will send some folks that way.
If they are members of the Maine Trappers association those were the prices the last ones I sold in central Maine. You can get about the same for a nice quality Bobcat as well.

If they are members of the Maine Trappers association those were the prices the last ones I sold in central Maine. You can get about the same for a nice quality Bobcat as well.
Is that price frozen whole animal or for the pelt already off the carcass?

Is that price frozen whole animal or for the pelt already off the carcass?
I always have done the Pelt , I skin it and if a nice Yote I’ll leave the head intact like you do bears . Although I have sold a nice gold Yote whole to a Taxidermist for the same. He likely made a nice profit.

When was that sale? Who was the buyer?
Hell if I recall his name I will need to check. I’m headed out this weekend for a few days to hunt some. Got some nice size on camera on my property that need culling. A few look like they could be worth a few bucks. Hell if I can get 20-25 I’m happy since to let they are just a PITA. Got some beaver , fisher and Bobcat as well but I promised someone the could hunt those as I didn’t think I’d have the time.

Hell, not long ago I had a trash panda sitting upright on 44 giving me the stink eye as I drove passed like he was some sort of tough guy out of Philly(you all know how those Philly guys get after watching Rocky).

During the day? Probably rabid.

I'm in metrowest and just saw a coyote while walking my 80lbs dog at 1030pm. Usually when I see one i don't care and keep walking - it won't attack a human adult with a big dog - and my dog doesn't really care much either.

Tonight was different. The dog went nuts, started pulling really hard in various directions. I figured I wouldn't get him even more worked up and turned back. There entire walk back home the dog kept staring into the darkness and pulling, even when we got to the front door. I'm guessing we were surrounded by a pack.

That got me thinking - what are the legal ramifications for shooting a coyote that, say, charges at me and my my dog?

Need ID help: coyote, coydog, coywolf ?

I'm looking for a Coyoodle if anyone finds one...

I'm in metrowest and just saw a coyote while walking my 80lbs dog at 1030pm. Usually when I see one i don't care and keep walking - it won't attack a human adult with a big dog - and my dog doesn't really care much either.
Tonight was different. The dog went nuts, started pulling really hard in various directions. I figured I wouldn't get him even more worked up and turned back. There entire walk back home the dog kept staring into the darkness and pulling, even when we got to the front door. I'm guessing we were surrounded by a pack.That got me thinking - what are the legal ramifications for shooting a coyote that, say, charges at me and my my dog?

Well from my experience with the Middlesex DA's office, I'd say you'd be up Shitts Creek, without a paddle. As my lawyer told me "it's all about optics"...It took me a while to understand that quip....' It's not about the facts, its about how it looks. Effed up

If that was in my back yard he/she would be getting that lead sleeping pill. I have 4 miniature dachshunds (one with mega esophagus and weighs about 5 lbs.), and 1 Yorkie (rescue dog).
I have to watch for hawks never mind coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom