• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need new sights suggestions. The eyes aren't what the use to be!

Get in touch with Idoktor. I have the same problem. It's one of the many benefits of not dying young. I have to call and make an appointment but I've been too lazy to do it.

I considered Lasik but read that if you're old enough to need reading glasses, Lasik won't fix that so I didn;t bother.

My eyes are going also ......I'm ready to retrofit M1 garand sights to my pistols...
Drill out rear aperture to about .070"!

XS Big Dots are certainly a good option but there is a bit of a learning curve/familiarization period. I would say they are an excellent defensive sight that you can pick up in a hurry and put holes in things within 10-15 yards.
My biggest beef with them is that windage is super fast to pick up, but elevation is a bit of a free for all since you are trying to line up the edges of the dot with the edges of the V-notch. I often wind up with centered groups that are spaced out vertically. Things inevitably tighten up after warming up.

Incidentally, after 4 months I am swapping out the pair of Big Dot's I have in my P320 I am swapping out for Trijicon HD's yellow's which are my go-to carry sight as soon as they arrive in the mail. Those are what I have in my carry G19 and they are awesome. That's my vote.

Trade the 19 for a judge and hip fire 410 buckshot. It's what all the cool kids are doing...

Despite what your momma told you, Violence does solve problems!

Have XS sights on my 1911 and I can easily hit the broad side of a barn with them. That's why the ol' Colt is in the safe...
On my Glock 19 I paired the afore mentioned Trinicon HD front (yellow) with a Dawson Precision single dot rear. it's got a somewhat U shaped notch with a single tritium dot at the bottom so you're only stacking one dot on top of the other as opposed to aligning three. Love enough I'm looking to recreate that combo with the Colt.

I have Dead Ringer Ghost rings fiber/tritium on mine- love them.

i also use Dead Ringer Ghost sites, and really like the quick acquisition it allows my old eyes. Combined with a flashlight and/or laser, they're working very well for me.

Before I tried them I was using typical tritium front/rear, and started noticing quickly that in a dark room my eyes were seeing 6 sets of dots lined up side by side, instead of the 3 that I should.

Bonus with the Dead Ringer is the ease of racking the slide with one hand using the rear site and a boot, counter top, car door, etc. should your other arm become disabled.

I recommended them to a friend of mine who is a Vietnam Veteran, probably about 70yrs old, and he absolutely loves them. We were both skeptical at first that they were too gimmicky, but tried them nonetheless and are very satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom