• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need opinions on ammo I just purchased

I went to my local gun gun shop today to buy some carry ammo for my glock 27 (.40) and 30 (.45). I was going to get the traditional Federal hollowpoint stuff when the gentalman at the counter recomended some new old stock they just recieved, its PMC ELDORADO STARFIRE. Sounded good at the time since he said it was just as good as Federal and 5 dollars cheaper, but on the way home I started having second thoughts. So I figured I would ask the knowlegable crowd hear. Has anyone heard of this brand and if so how is it? Should I exchange it for something else? All input would be great since it could be a life of death situation.

Thanks,
Phil

I have used PMC many times for plinking. I've never had any problems with it. With that said, I'd probably choose another brand for CCW; unless you have put at least 100 rounds of this through your guns. (That's sage advice for any CCW ammo anyway).

Some people do not like PMC (Poorly Manufactured Cartridges), but I've never had a problem with it.

If you put at least 100 rounds downrange with no failures and good accuracy, then go ahead and carry it.

Starfire is in a class far above the usual PMC fare. The Starfire
bullet was designed by the same guy who gave us the
Hydra-Shok and the new HST (among other designs). When
I carried a 9mm I trusted PMC's 124 Gr. Starfire as my carry
load. It is certainly a peer with HS, HST, Golden Sabre, Gold Dot ...

F

I don't trust no dang hollypoint ca'tridges.
Speer Lawman 180gr. FMJTC's in the .40...

When I was your age, pistols kicked HARD, deafened you and punched right through a frozen oak tree, AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY![wink]

Seriously, A PDW needs best quality, proven performance ammo and my personal preferences always point to domestic manufacturers. They need and deserve our business. A half dozen boxes of the "good stuff" each year won't break the bank. The bargain basement stuff is good for plinking.
I handload the .40 and have never had problems with my loads, but I still plunk down the $12 a box for factory ammo for carry.

im pretty sure starfire was made to compete with winchester black talon as its called starfire because its supposed to open up into the same star shape back talon was known for...i just bought some myself actually...fourseasons had it in .357 sig and 9mm so i got a box of 9mm...seems like quality stuff and i havent hear anything negative about it

I got a few boxes in 9mm. I haven't fired any of it yet, but as a general rule, I will disassemble carry ammo from at least 2 different boxes, to inspect how accurate the components are (and because I just like to break things).

I can tell you, on this stuff, the powder charge is EXACT and the bullet weight is EXACT. Also, all the measurements both assembled, and components is perfect.

I have put a lot of .45 Starfire thru several of my guns. It works great. Looking at it, it looks a lot like Hydrashok. I carried with it for years before I couldn't find it any more and went with Hydrashok.

Don't worry about it, it's good stuff that works well in all my semi .45's

I have (had) some .357 too I think.

I like the regular PMC very much in my G27, but have not fired the Starfire.

Test it in the G27 make sure it works every time, and test it to make sure that the smaller barrel generates enough velocity for this particular round to expand well upon impact.

Back
Top Bottom