• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need recommendations for active/electronic hearing protectors

I am profoundly hard of hearing; effectively deaf without hearing aids.

I cannot use the hearing aids whilst wearing "muffs". At that point, "hearing protection" on, hearing aids out, I am unable to hear range commands, conversations, etc. unless I am standing next to the person who is speaking.

Need recommendation for ears which will suppress the sound of gunfire while amplifying voice, etc.
I am willing to spend a few quid for a set that work really well because it is a d-r-a-g feeling as though I am missing very important, and enjoyable, conversations.

What's your budget and do you prefer muffs or buds? I like Howard Leight Impacts (I think made by Honeywell). They can get fairly loud for range commands when turned up all the way, but you have to watch out for feedback. About $50. Those are entry to mid level for active muffs. There are fancier ones out there with bluetooth and/or microphone options. There are also a wide variety of active ear buds, but those can get really pricey fast.

What's your budget and do you prefer muffs or buds? ... There are fancier ones out there with bluetooth and/or microphone options...

Either type, bud or muff, is fine: no need for microphones, MP3 players, etc. Single purpose, range use, intended. I will spend up to a couple of hundred $ if that's what will work best for me.

Either type, bud or muff, is fine: no need for microphones, MP3 players, etc. Single purpose, range use, intended. I will spend up to a couple of hundred $ if that's what will work best for me.

Honestly, I don't think you'd go wrong then with the Howard Leight Impacts. 22db noise reduction rating and active monitoring. This is probably one of the most reviewed active headsets because it is one of the more affordable, no-nonsense options. They just work.

Walkers is another name to look at. They have a large range of muffs. Their Alpha quads have independent volume for each ear. That's something that can be a pain if you have equal hearing, or be a blessing if you have uneven hearing. All of these will be around the $50-85 range. Lastly, there are higher db ratings out there. 24db and 30db reduction are common tiers.

Anything pricier than that gets into features that it sounds like you might not even need like bluetooth, comms, memory foam, etc. Those features really don't change the db rating or ability to hear range officers.

Honestly, I don't think you'd go wrong then with the Howard Leight Impacts. 22db noise reduction rating and active monitoring. This is probably one of the most reviewed active headsets because it is one of the more affordable, no-nonsense options. They just work.

Walkers is another name to look at. They have a large range of muffs. Their Alpha quads have independent volume for each ear. That's something that can be a pain if you have equal hearing, or be a blessing if you have uneven hearing. All of these will be around the $50-85 range. Lastly, there are higher db ratings out there. 24db and 30db reduction are common tiers.

Anything pricier than that gets into features that it sounds like you might not even need like bluetooth, comms, memory foam, etc. Those features really don't change the db rating or ability to hear range officers.

Thank you. It's good to know that more $ does not necessarily mean better protection. I will research your recommendations.

sadly, you gutta try 'em on.

I tried some Howard Leight Impacts and they don't seal to my squash - useless no matter what tech is in 'em. Technically, they work nice @ a reasonable price but, not if they leak.
Large ear cups will help the head seal but, then they get in the way on rifle.

I'm starting to consider a set of muffs for pistol but, buds for rifle - dunno
Honestly, my old peltors have worked the best.

my 2c for whatever you can buy with it.

I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport, I can wear them fine over my hearing aids (although I usually don’t). When I put them on and jack up the volume they do amplify, although they don’t enhance like the hearing aids do. I wouldn’t say my hearing loss is as profound as yours although it is significant and relatively recent (hearing was fine until chemo cooked my inner ears two years ago). Hope that helps.

I found that the Lights made a horrible seal around my ears. Adding replacement Gel cushioned helped a bit, but I still wear plugs under them. They are NOT David Clark protectors.

Back
Top Bottom