• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need recommendations for holster

pj150

NES Member
Hi all,

Looking to get a pancake style OWB holster for my Glock 23. I already have a c-tac IWB but that seems to dig a bit into my growing lovehandles. It's not very comfortable if I am driving. I find myself re-adjusting all the time.

I'm looking for a black leather hoslter that rides tight and high. Thumb break is fine, I actually prefer it as it gives me more confidence in the retention. I have a Bianchi for my S&W M19 that I like but I am not sure if that will work the same for a semi-auto. I did check rig-rate but I didn't find sufficient feedback.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost down to about 60 dollars or less.

Highly recommended is Gary Brommeland's OWB holsters. Ride very high and close, don't budge on the belt either. I have one for my 1911 and it is great.

http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/Products/def-con.htm

Contact him for more pics, but the pic of the IWB model's fit against the body isn't much different from the OWB's fit.

I have a Bianchi Carry Loc that I use for my SIG226. I don't carry often (only when I'm in NH) but it seems to work pretty well. Pulls in tight and high and no button on the thumb break to scratch the slide when holstering.

I like the Bianchi black widow #5 slide holster with a thumb break. Rides high and tight, even tighter with no tilt if you run the belt around the outside of the holster.

Y'know, I never tried running the belt outside of the holster. It was always belt in one side of the holster, outside in, then belt ran thru the second belt loop of my pants and then out to the front of the holster again. That prevented the holster from sliding on the belt and kept it at the 3 o'clock position.

I'll try running the belt from the inside and then out thereby strapping the holster closer to the body. It'll have to be between the second and third belt loop of the pants. Kinda far back for my taste but I'll give it a go.

I had the same problem when I first started wearing the holster like that. Now I just wear another belt about 4 inches higher over the one in my pants.

Sounds crazy but it works for me and the handgun and belt stays in place and is really out of sight.

A bit pricey, but two of the best auto holsters I have are:

1) An IWB holster for full sized autos (1911 and Browning Hi-Power) by Milt Sparks, Idaho City, Idaho. This is the only IWB holster I've ever owned that I can wear for more than 20 minutes, and the only one the permits one-handed re-holstering.

2) Their interpretation of an open-top pancake by Mitch Rosen, Manchester, NH.

Both holsters are so precisely molded to the pistols they carry that they retain superbly, without straps or thumb breaks.

My everyday holster is a much less expensive (and elegant) Bianchi #7500 "Accumold" paddle (mid-frame autos). It makes little pretense of being stealthy, but it is quite comfortable and durable; and, of course, it is readily shedable when that is called for.

I have a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard. It has three belt slide holes so you can adjust the angle. It also has a tension screw at the back. I've found it pretty comfortable. It's a Model 001 B6.

Thanks for your replies. I invested in a Desantis scabbard holster with the thumb break. Basketweave and lined. I'll post pics when I get it.

Back
Top Bottom