need sling & jacket by Friday

Does anyone know where I can get a AR-15 sling and a shooting jacket by Friday night (Boston/metrowest area)? I need them for an Appleseed shoot this weekend.

I have a sling, but no jacket. It's the basic sling that came with my AR, so it's not tactikewl or anything. The downside is I'm about 45min from Watertown.

If you are looking for a jacket, even to borrow . . . size matters! [rolleyes] [wink]

You better post a size so that someone can help you.

I don't know of any stores that carry them in MA.

If you are looking for a jacket, even to borrow . . . size matters! [rolleyes] [wink]

You better post a size so that someone can help you.

I don't know of any stores that carry them in MA.

Well, I was hoping for a shop where I could buy one, so I'm guessing I'll be SOL. But if anyone happens to have one I can use, I'm a 41R (probably a "large").

You could always have a buddy cover you in 3 inches of Duct Tape. That should stiffen up your upper body!

Amherst drop zone has the USGI shooting jackets usually worn at Appleseed. It's kinda on the way to vermont depending on when you're making the drive (assuming they're open). These jackets are good for the built in elbow pads and the shoulder pad... not really for support like the competition shooting jackets are. And with an ar you don't really need the shoulder recoil pad. You'll do just as good with some softee elbow pads... volleyball style (soft outside), not skateboard style (hard outer shell) because you'll end up rolling on hard outer shell and it'll be a bad support.

The best thing would be to make sure you also have a USGI foam rollup camping mat (available at ANY surplus store... not just amherst) and you'll be spending those two days of prone like a king.

Ask Fred/Nickle if they'll have slings for sale at the appleseed (only a few dollars) If not, you can borrow one of mine.

KTP is only 1 hour away or so from Watertown .. not sure if they have exactly what your looking for but its worth the call.

Amherst drop zone has the USGI shooting jackets usually worn at Appleseed. It's kinda on the way to vermont depending on when you're making the drive (assuming they're open). These jackets are good for the built in elbow pads and the shoulder pad... not really for support like the competition shooting jackets are. And with an ar you don't really need the shoulder recoil pad. You'll do just as good with some softee elbow pads... volleyball style (soft outside), not skateboard style (hard outer shell) because you'll end up rolling on hard outer shell and it'll be a bad support.

The best thing would be to make sure you also have a USGI foam rollup camping mat (available at ANY surplus store... not just amherst) and you'll be spending those two days of prone like a king.

Ask Fred/Nickle if they'll have slings for sale at the appleseed (only a few dollars) If not, you can borrow one of mine.

The USGI shooting jacket is exactly what I wanted - but I don't think I'll be able to make it to Amherst before the shoot. Maybe if I have time on the drive up - it only adds an extra 35 miles (about :40) to the commute. If not I'll dig up some pads at Dicks or something - thanks for the advice!

They are not in Amherst any more. They are actually right off the pike and right near 91 in West Springfield now bigger store front.

Amherst Drop Zone has been closed for some time now.

She's right - just called the #, and the message says "closed until further notice," and directed inquiries to their PO BOX. Do you know if you can still order stuff from their website, or is that closed too (no notice on the site).

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about a jacket. If I'm not mistaken a lot of the shooting is in the prone position where the jacket is no added benefit.

Thats odd b/c we drove there last weekend and the sign on the door said something like "closed do to family issues". All the stuff seems to be in there still, not sure what is going on. The one in West Springfield is an Army Barracks which is a small chain store. They do have a lot of stuff we picked up a In service flag and an ammo can.

Derek's right on the money.........In preparation for your future shooting sessions, you should think about either Champions Choice or Creedmoor Sports for a coat.

"Good money spent is good money saved."

TACJC

Thats odd b/c we drove there last weekend and the sign on the door said something like "closed do to family issues". All the stuff seems to be in there still, not sure what is going on. The one in West Springfield is an Army Barracks which is a small chain store. They do have a lot of stuff we picked up a In service flag and an ammo can.

It's been about 3 months now that they have been closed. Hubby drives by them every day to and from work.

Yeah, I know. We were looking for boots for Alan for his birthday and they were closed then. There was a small blurb in the newspaper but it didn't say anything more.

I may have exactly what you are looking for. However I read this Saturay nite and I am in South Central Maine. If you are still interested please PM me.

If you have never shot with a "shooting coat" before, it's quite a learning curve. Its goal is to help you maintain the same shooting stance time and time again to you can obtain consistancy in your setup. It's actually a bit uncomfortable initially but once you get used to it, you'll use it all the time for competition shooting.

Actually, for the money, CMP offers really nice coats made by Champion for them. They are more than adequate for most shooters unless you're going to be a really serious competitor. Then you'd want a much more expensive coat usually made from stiff leather.

And it is true that you don't use the coat for prone or squat shooting, just standing.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom