Need some direction instructor course?

blindndead

NES Member
I have a friend in Lakeville MA would like some info on how to become a firearms instructor. Can somebody point me in the right direction so I can help get the ball rolling. Links and any info would be much appreciated.

Take the NRA instructor class (many threads on this), then send $50 to MA to get state certification.

NRA basic pistol classes are frequently run by gun clubs on a low cost basis.

The supply of NRA Training Counselors is limited, and the commitment required to become one extensive (typically traveling to another city and holing up in a hotel for a few days), so you will not find instructor certification for a nominal cost. The typical fee is about $350 +/-. Just be certain any class you take will get you "NRA instructor status" as that will meed the MA requirement to get the MA instructor cert (which is required to teach classes people can use to meet the MA LTC licensing requirement).

The next course isn't for quite a while. Who here is interested in seeing if we can convince JOHN @ Goal to run another one sooner?

Last edited:
Here's what I found coming up on the NRAInstructors site, one in W.Springfield, one in Lowell:

Course Title: NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor Course
Class Date/Time: Sunday, December 08, 2013 9:00 AM
Register By: Saturday, December 07, 2013
Cost: $150.00
Initial Deposit: $50.00
Address: Conference center
1080 Riverdale Ave.
W. Springfield, MA 01089
US
Class Date/Time: Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:30 AM
Register By: Monday, February 24, 2014
Cost: $175.00
Initial Deposit: $0.00
Address: Hammer Firearms Training
201 Coburn Street
Lowell, MA 01852
US

I guess only one will post at a time--Lowell info:

Class Date/Time: Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:30 AM
Register By: Monday, February 24, 2014
Cost: $175.00
Initial Deposit: $0.00
Address: Hammer Firearms Training
201 Coburn Street
Lowell, MA 01852
US

Thanks for that info. How much of a difference does the instructor of the instructor's course make?

Why would Goal's course be 3 days as opposed to this one day? The NRA site is rather lacking in information.

Last edited:
Some Training Counselors will bundle Basic Pistol with Firearm Safety in the Home into one 2 day course (that's how Scouter-Rick ran his when I took it). I am not familiar with how GOAL does theirs, but I'm guessing they do something similar. The TC's I've met seem pretty together and have been doing it long enough to know when someone gets it or doesn't. Of course, not everyone is cut out to teach--I know that's sort of an obvious point, but you asked how much difference does the TC make...it makes all the difference, AFAIC. Sure, anyone can walk you through the content but the good ones will make sure to stop and ask if there are questions and the great ones will know the room is full of shit when they collectively say "no" but the body language says "yes" and will expand on the points in question without embarrassing anyone [smile]

I can't recommend Rick enough--he's the latter.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. How much of a difference does the instructor of the instructor's course make?

Why would Goal's course be 3 days as opposed to this one day? The NRA site is rather lacking in information.

The typical NRA Instructor course includes BIT (Basic Instructor Training - learning HOW to teach), Home Firearm Safety and Basic Pistol and takes 2.5 days.

The TC you take it with makes all the difference in the world. I've heard of one who basically gives you the manual and makes you read it yourself then certifies you!! [shocked] You learn NOTHING! [More below.]

Some Training Counselors will bundle Basic Pistol with Firearm Safety in the Home into one 2 day course (that's how Scouter-Rick ran his when I took it). I am not familiar with how GOAL does there's, but I'm guessing they do something similar. The TC's I've met seem pretty together and have been doing it long enough to know when someone gets it or doesn't. Of course, not everyone is cut out to teach--I know that's sort of an obvious point, but you asked how much difference does the TC make...it makes all the difference, AFAIC. Sure, anyone can walk you through the content but the good ones will make sure to stop and ask if there are questions and the great ones will know the room is full of shit when they collectively say "no" but the body language says "yes" and will expand on the points in question without embarrassing anyone [smile]

I can't recommend Rick enough--he's the latter.

I took my initial NRA Instructor course as noted above from Jon Green and the late Darius Arbabi. They made us WORK thru the class, we each got up and taught sections to everyone else, worked in a team, etc. We were tested on our knowledge of guns one by one by Darius. Jon told us that rarely does he actually pass everyone in a class! I can't say enough good things about the skills these guys brought to the class.

I had a couple of engineering professors at NU that were absolutely brilliant but had NO SKILLS in getting that knowledge across to those of seated in front of him. Firearms instruction is no different. You MUST have a passion for teaching and ability to convey the knowledge clearly and concisely to your students and not everyone can do this well.

I took my NRA PPIH Instructor course from Rick and he was excellent. You learn a lot and I think that is key.

TOO MANY LOOK AT $$ TO MAKE THEIR DECISIONS WHO TO TAKE TRAINING WITH . . . MY ADVICE IS TO LOOK AT WHO CAN BEST TRAIN YOU AND MAKE YOUR DECISION BASED ON THAT NOT $$. [This applies to any training . . . your objective should be to learn, not merely to "punch a ticket"!]

In the GOAL course, you take the class to get certified in Basic Pistol as well as Home Firearm Safety. The courses above look only to certify you in Home Firearm Safety. I highly recommend Jon Green's class at GOAL. He made us work to earn our certification, and not everyone in the class became "certified" in both catagories. The in class portion was about 25 hours long with another 5+ hours outside of class to prepare and learn. We each had to teach portions of the class and demonstrate proper gun handling the "NRA" way. We were critiqued on all parts of our presentations by Jon as well as the rest of the class. After the class, I felt confident that I could successfully teach either course to new shooters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom