need to vent about Colt

btnh6668

NES Member
I need to bitch to someone and you guys are it. I bought a new colt 1911. Excited i went to range with my colt and my sw686. It was not a fun time at the range. First i use the 686 and after 12 shots the hammer is no longer able to move. Trigger had the same result. Seemed stuck. Not wanting to damage it i figured.. screw it ill send it back to sw. So i grab my brand new colt 1911. The magazine will not go in all the way. It is hitting the mag release. I had 4 mags and did it will all of them. So the next day i go about sending both firearms back to factory. Smith told me it was be 4-8 weeks. Colt did not give me a time. 2 weeks go by and i get my revolver back after they repaired the cylinder. A few days later i get a letter from Colt telling me they are processing it and can take up to a month to repair. Well its been 5 weeks since the letter and 7 weeks since they received it. I am already pissed that they clearly did not do any quality control out the door and now have a $900 gun i have not been able to shoot for almost 2 months. I understand others are ahead of me and the world does not revolve around me. After researching i saw that this is not a singular issue but a quick and easy fix on their end. They will probably just file it down on the corner so the mag wont hit. In hind sight i should have just done it myself. None the less knowing how their warranty times are, this will be my last colt. I know this sounds snowflakish but im just annoyed at the whole thing.

Colt sucks they build these guns with parts sorced from other then Colt and if the gun is manufactured with Colt parts it is even worse the machinery is totoly out dated
and Colt no longer uses trained fitters (gun Smith's) only assemblers unless it is a custom shop gun and they stopped building custom shop 1911 . I am sorry to say there 1911 's are junk and they are living on there old time and totally lost reputation . Sell the gun and get something better. Theres a lot of folks that will pay all the money to
Purchase a Colt

Last edited:
have had near exact experiences w both manufacturers. my 9mm colt competition was such trash they issued my a complete replacement this time in 45acp. this is the state of current firearms production - they push numbers over quality. sig, s&w, ruger, FN, beretta as well pains me to admit. my APX has been at beretta for like 4 weeks now. for s&w the 686 models are particularly terrible. the newer tensioned barrel designs are easier for them the build well, such as the 66-8.

have had near exact experiences w both manufacturers. my 9mm colt competition was such trash they issued my a complete replacement this time in 45acp. this is the state of current firearms production - they push numbers over quality. sig, s&w, ruger, FN, beretta as well pains me to admit. my APX has been at beretta for like 4 weeks now. for s&w the 686 models are particularly terrible. the newer tensioned barrel designs are easier for them the build well, such as the 66-8.

I agree completely. But I've changed my attitude to one where I'm pleased when a new production firearm works as intended rather than expecting it to.

Situation normal for Colt as of late. My buddy had nothing but trouble with his m45a1. He hates that gun it's been back to the factory 2 times and is still a jamomatic

Can't speak for all the brands you mentioned.....but my 1 year old sig 1911 has been an absolute pleasure to own. Dead nuts accurate....i shoot it weekly.....plate shoots and general range use. Has not had a single malfunction with factory ammo. A few hicups with reloads but I'm new to reloading and had to work up an overall length that she likes with swc bullets.......now she eats all my reloads.

Possibly I got a "good one".....and it may not be the norm but I am definitely pleased with my sig 1911.

I will give SW credit. Their turn around time is very good and always have fixed any issues i have had with no problem.

Can't speak for all the brands you mentioned.....but my 1 year old sig 1911 has been an absolute pleasure to own. Dead nuts accurate....i shoot it weekly.....plate shoots and general range use. Has not had a single malfunction with factory ammo. A few hicups with reloads but I'm new to reloading and had to work up an overall length that she likes with swc bullets.......now she eats all my reloads.

Possibly I got a "good one".....and it may not be the norm but I am definitely pleased with my sig 1911.

my Sig 1911 TTT has also been perfect. IIRC something around 3200 rounds without a single stoppage which for a 1911 I would consider amazing. while the 1911 purists whine about the external extractor i'm fairly well convinced that it contributes to long term reliability and ammo tolerance seen with the Sig 1911's. as much as I talk smack about current production Sig pistols their 1911's seem solid, particularly when one considers the features and frontstrap checkering for sub $1k pricetag. i'm waiting on my JM Custom kydex AIWB holster and it will join my carry rotation.

my Sig 1911 TTT has also been perfect. IIRC something around 3200 rounds without a single stoppage which for a 1911 I would consider amazing. while the 1911 purists whine about the external extractor i'm fairly well convinced that it contributes to long term reliability and ammo tolerance seen with the Sig 1911's. as much as I talk smack about current production Sig pistols their 1911's seem solid, particularly when one considers the features and frontstrap checkering for sub $1k pricetag.
I have the tacops edition. Night sites, flared mag well, skeletonized trigger and hammer, front rail, and yes the outstanding checkering......out the door for $920. Worth every damn penny so far with the reliability and accuracy I'm getting.

I bought a Competition Stainless earlier this year, and on the first trip to the range, the first magazine stovepiped every other shot. I started to get really nervous, but decided to try another magazine and I’ve not had a single hiccup since. At least 1,000 rounds down the pipe and all since then have gone where I was pointing it, including the original mag that gave me trouble.

My AR-9 has been flawless as well, but that’s a pre-94, so a different era for Colt.

My Colt Competition 9mm is looser than a 2 dollar whore on a Friday night. I've only put about 800 down the pipe when I first got it the slide was nearly as tight as my 56 National Match.

I have a S&W 686 I bought new for $285 "way back when". In the time I owned it, both the hammer pivot stud and trigger pivot stud broke off inside the gun. These parts a press-fit in, the outside of the gun polished, and peened into place by the factory (resulting in internal markings you don't get on a new gun). I also had to disassemble a S&W 625 when a shooter could not get it off the line unloaded. I ended up wrapping the sideplate in target cardboard and telling her "This can't be reassembled without replacing a broken internal part"- but at least hers did not require anything that would make the interior look anything other than factory new. It was old enough it had to go back for the "-M" recoil to handle 357 loads.
My Colt Competition 9mm is looser than a 2 dollar whore on a Friday night. I've only put about 800 down the pipe when I first got it the slide was nearly as tight as my 56 National Match.
Either running it dry, metallurgy or a form of tightening (like rail peening) that does not mate the slide/frame for the entire rail distance.

I had to send a S&W 1911 back 2x because they never properly made nor fixed the gun. When I released the slide occasionally the hammer came down with it, luckily never on a loaded chamber.

I had to send a S&W 1911 back 2x because they never properly made nor fixed the gun. When I released the slide occasionally the hammer came down with it, luckily never on a loaded chamber.

if the sear fails to hold the hammer in cocked position it should fall into the 1/4 notch position not all way home. largely how they are able to safely get by without a firing pin block.

Whoa - I hope that’s been fixed.

The kicker is by the time i get home from work and call, they shut their phone off by 4:35 even though they say they are open till 5. There is no email listed for contact. They have had my firearm now for 9 weeks and two weeks past their projected complete time. I have to try to get home early to get a hold of these asshats. Kicking myself in the ass even more for not returning it from where i bought it.

The kicker is by the time i get home from work and call, they shut their phone off by 4:35 even though they say they are open till 5. There is no email listed for contact. They have had my firearm now for 9 weeks and two weeks past their projected complete time. I have to try to get home early to get a hold of these asshats. Kicking myself in the ass even more for not returning it from where i bought it.

Can't you call during a break or lunch? Sucks that you're going through this though.

Back
Top Bottom