• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nervous about MA LTC App

Hello all, super new guy question. Apologies in advance if this isn’t the right place. So I live in Worcester and have my ltc appointment coming up. My question is my ex put an emergency 209A on me last year. Verbal argument, non physical. I have all the police reports(no affidavits, courts were closed due to COVID) obviously this isn’t an ideal scenario for an ltc applicant but does anyone know how “lenient” Worcester is. I’m 36, 2+ years sober in AA, fiancé and a new child(LTC for protection) Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

You also say 2+ years sober, which is great and congratulations. However, if you have any DUI’s on your record it won’t look favorably either. Worcester is unfortunately not a very green city as far as LTC’s go.

Man you say AA? Glad that you've squared yourself away but if you have a MA DUI conviction on your record you're probably a prohibited person federally, no guns.

Worcester?

a recent 209A is NOT going to be in your favor

It is nobody's business if you are a friend of Bill W. If you go wandering in for an interview or have a phone call with the licensing folks and start quoting the Big Book, I assure you in Worcester that is going to go to suitability.

Cops know that women have weaponized 209A's, but that doesn't mean they are going to cut you any slack.

If I were you, I would go ask for your application back, tell them they can keep the check, then I would get ALL my ducks in a row and pay for a consultation with Keith Langer or some other lawyer that knows their stuff WRT gun laws.

It is easier to refile an application than it is to get denied, file a appeal that won't be granted, and have to list on a 4473 til the end of time you were denied a license

Hello all, super new guy question. Apologies in advance if this isn’t the right place. So I live in Worcester and have my ltc appointment coming up. My question is my ex put an emergency 209A on me last year. Verbal argument, non physical. I have all the police reports(no affidavits, courts were closed due to COVID) obviously this isn’t an ideal scenario for an ltc applicant but does anyone know how “lenient” Worcester is. I’m 36, 2+ years sober in AA, fiancé and a new child(LTC for protection) Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Not enough info.

If that 209a is active still you are not getting approved for an ltc.....period.

Why did you mention AA? Is it relevant to the apication? If not the licensing officer has no business knowing your a recovering alcoholic (on a side note.....congrats on 2 years.....my brother is on year 8). If you've had a dwi, some sort of alcohol related charges, or were forced into a program in your past you should have get some competent legal advice before applying. My brother I just mentioned.....retained the services of Jason Guida and received an ltc a couple months ago after a dwi conviction 8 years ago. Without him he never would have been approved.

Technically speaking a TRO is only issued if there is credible evidence you pose a thread of violence (yeah, I know - but that's what the law says)

So, even if the order expired, you have a record of the court finding that you are a potentially dangerous person and expiration of the RO does not "undo" the fact that such a finding is in your history.

One department (Wakefield, I think) has used this logic to deny LTCs to persons with expired 209As and has prevailed when applicants appeal the denial.

You need to decide - Would you rather be denied with certainty that pay a few hundred for a legal consult? If not, get thine ass to an attorney who specializes in firearms law and understands the lay of the land in the city where you are applying.

>have to list on a 4473 til the end of time you were denied a license
Er, no. Some states require that any denials of licenses be listed. The federal 4473 form does require such an answer.

If you have not been committed for the alcohol it is no ones business and should not even be in the conversation

But yeah attorney before you do anything or move states

Back
Top Bottom