• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone wanna throw together a NES on-air meetup tonight? I've talked to 2 of you on the air so far, always looking to add more names (or call signs as the case may be), to the list.
How many of you can hit the Paxton 2 meter? I'd be up for just about any repeater in Mass, as well as some in southern NH.
Or, we could meet on a 440 repeater, but I only have 40 watts output on 440, so my range is more limited than on 2 meter. Add to that the inherent shorter range of 440mhz, AND the low output of 440 repeaters east of Worcester (PAVE PAWS), and our options for 440 repeaters are quite limited. [thinking]
Any ideas?

I was talking to some guys on the Paxton repeater about the fact that a lot of Hams are into firearms and shooting as well. The topic came up after someone mentioned that they were going to the Southboro R&G this Saturday. Eventually we came to the conclusion that the areas of interest for Hams are as follows:
Ham radio
Beer
Guns
(in that order)
All are fine individually, but you do not want to mix. [wink]

[laugh]
Damn, that his the nail on the head!
The first two are pretty popular together on 75 meters.
Don't tell me: 3910? 3885? lol

[rofl]

You're gonna LOVE Field Day -- 24 hours of beer, food, and radio!
Holy f***ing shit- I live for field day!!!! The guys I do field day with go up to Sunapee (originally Soo Nipi by the indians for some useless info) state park and rent the two largest campsites which happen to be next to each other and string up tarps between the three lean-to's along with an assemble it yourself pipe tent (being careful to not cover the fire pits) and have a blast! Everyone eats better there than they do at home.
Brisket, smoked turkeys, muffulettas, fully stocked bar (ok, damn close to it), frozen mudslides, etc etc. Oh, the dry ice keeps the ice cream cold [smile]
I also live for NEAR-Fest. I bring the pop-up camper along so we can escape from the rain, cold, mosquito's, snow, etc and eat well there too.

Field Day and rain -- it goes together like 75 meters and beer. Or hamfests and colostomy bags.....
Colostomy bags and the majority of the colon nets on 75. Half the time all you hear is the old farts talking about this and that failing. Damn I don't want to get old!![laugh]

Anyone wanna throw together a NES on-air meetup tonight? I've talked to 2 of you on the air so far, always looking to add more names (or call signs as the case may be), to the list.
How many of you can hit the Paxton 2 meter? I'd be up for just about any repeater in Mass, as well as some in southern NH.
Or, we could meet on a 440 repeater, but I only have 40 watts output on 440, so my range is more limited than on 2 meter. Add to that the inherent shorter range of 440mhz, AND the low output of 440 repeaters east of Worcester (PAVE PAWS), and our options for 440 repeaters are quite limited. [thinking]
Any ideas?

Turbo, can you hit the Mt. Tom 70cm repeater?

What time are you thinking? My 8800 just came in the mail...so I'm up for giving it a test run before it's mounted in the Jeep. This is a little more complicated than I thought it would be...but playing in the basement before I'm driving will be nice. It's already hooked up in the basement with my new to me Astron metered Power Supply. I should throw up a picture...hold on and I'll be right back.

I'm still in the works on putting together a dual band antenna...so I'm out on 70cm...as I don't think that my HT will reach that far.

Ok...Pics...sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

IMG00100.jpg

IMG00101.jpg

IMG00102.jpg

I need to get one of those Rig Runners....and clean my work bench...[smile]

Last edited:
A heads up, there's usually a net on Paxton at 9:00.
After the 9:00 net should work fine.

As for the Mt. Tom 440 repeater, no dice. Though it could be my radio, it's been giving me trouble. I'll have to check its output power when I get more time.

This sounds great! I hope the Cape Ann club runs another tech-in-a-day class soon. I was not able to attend this one.

Does anyone know of any other tech-in-a-day classes happening soon in MA?

Also, is the whole tech question pool with correct answers marked available anywhere online?

This sounds great! I hope the Cape Ann club runs another tech-in-a-day class soon. I was not able to attend this one.

Does anyone know of any other tech-in-a-day classes happening soon in MA?

Also, is the whole tech question pool with correct answers marked available anywhere online?

I don't know if the pool is posted (ARRL might have it) but this site: http://www.eham.net/exams/ will give you a practice exam and then mark all the correct answers after you take it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom