NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel left out. Y'all need to move closer to the Pioneer Valley.

Give me a frequency and PL of a repeater you can hit, and I'll see if I can reach you. NX1Z should be about to reach anywhere, he has a radio for all occasions.

LOL ... Turbocharger just timed out the Paxton repeater....its a 3 minute timer! LOL

It's TurbochargeD [laugh]

Yeah, timed it out twice. [sad2]
That makes 3 times I've timed out a repeater in the last 5 months.
Stop being the radio police NX1Z. [laugh]

Boy that guy was clueless!!!!! LOL
Who, me?
Or the guy who didn't know concealed carry was legal in MA?

Last edited:
SPECIAL EVENT STATIONS ALERT

Not a big deal but I just got a email alert about this.
If you just got your HF privileges this could be a cool first QSL card......a card from a NRA that has nothing to do with firearms...LOL:

===============================================
1st CENTENARY OF RADIOTELEGRAPHY IN THE PORTUGUESE NAVY

SPECIAL EVENT

2010 FEBRUARY 18th & 20th

The "Portuguese Navy Hamradio Club – NRA" and the Navy itself feel proud to announce a double Special Event.

In this month of February we celebrate the 1st centenary since radiotelegraphy has begun naval official service in the navy.

To celebrate it, two Special Event Stations [CR5100AM and CR5100VZ] plus an onboard station CS5DFG will be active.

One Station located in Lisbon another Station located 15 miles south of Lisbon and the third one not much far from the others, will be active on the next February 18th and 20th in the period of [0900 – 1900] UTC.

A Special QSL Card and a Special Award have been issued by the Navy and NRA to be addressed to all stations that contact one of these three stations in the dates and periods above.

Look for any of these stations on the bands and be awarded with a Special QSL Card and Award.

Contacting us or waiting another hundred years to do so, is your choice.

Hope to meet you on the air

The Chairman of Portuguese Navy Hamradio Club – NRA

António Gamito

[email protected]
==============================================

/John

Last edited:
Noob here, what does this mean ? Are you limited to how long you can use a repeater ?

I'm not on the air yet it'll be awhile before I can afford a rig.

Yes. Most repeaters have a "time out" timer, usually set to around 3 minutes. It prevents someone from hogging the machine, and also acts as a watchdog timer in the even to a malfunction. When you release the PTT, you hear a short beep to let you know the timer reset. So, if you are going to get long-winded, you have to be aware of the timer and drop the link periodically to let the timer reset.

Aha.
Thanks and a Tip O'the Stetson™
yo.gif

Yes. Most repeaters have a "time out" timer, usually set to around 3 minutes. It prevents someone from hogging the machine, and also acts as a watchdog timer in the even to a malfunction. When you release the PTT, you hear a short beep to let you know the timer reset. So, if you are going to get long-winded, you have to be aware of the timer and drop the link periodically to let the timer reset.

That also works if someone has "gone clear" and sets the mic down...it falls between the seats and stays pressed....so you can hear them swaring at traffic...bitching about something they see on the road...it's quite funny.

That also works if someone has "gone clear" and sets the mic down...it falls between the seats and stays pressed....so you can hear them swaring at traffic...bitching about something they see on the road...it's quite funny.

Oh, you've heard one of those already? I've heard a few good ones over the years, and was the subject of one once. I'll tell you about that one in person sometime. [laugh]

Well its a good thing I spotted this ham link on NES. My license was about to expire in a few days. Forgot all about it and it would have died. I did renew on line.
We need to beware of any government site that says it's easy to do something on. I am glad they had a telephone hot line to talk me through it.
WD1K

Well its a good thing I spotted this ham link on NES. My license was about to expire in a few days. Forgot all about it and it would have died. I did renew on line.
We need to beware of any government site that says it's easy to do something on. I am glad they had a telephone hot line to talk me through it.
WD1K

Yea, god forbid you miss this thread...you know...two years and 155 pages of posts... [wink]

I think I need to install a fan on my Kenwood TM-2570A...
After the very long conversation with NX1Z last night, my radio was quite warm. Not dangerously so, but it was approaching the point that I couldn't touch it. It was on low power (5 watts), and I can only imagine what would happen if I transmitted for an extended period of time on high power, which is 70 watts.
I just need to find a way to only have the fan come on when the radio is on...

I think I need to install a fan on my Kenwood TM-2570A...
After the very long conversation with NX1Z last night, my radio was quite warm. Not dangerously so, but it was approaching the point that I couldn't touch it. It was on low power (5 watts), and I can only imagine what would happen if I transmitted for an extended period of time on high power, which is 70 watts.
I just need to find a way to only have the fan come on when the radio is on...

That shouldn't be happening. Is it in the clear, and not blocked ventilation wise? And are you sure of the match to the antenna?

That shouldn't be happening. Is it in the clear, and not blocked ventilation wise? And are you sure of the match to the antenna?

I don't have an SWR meter, so I don't know how good the match is, but I know it's a 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna.
There is nothing covering the heatsink.

The conversation we were having lasted for over 2 hours if I'm not mistaken, with me doing most of the talking. After 2 hours, I'm not surprised it was warm/hot.
I could still touch it without getting burned, and I may be exaggerating how hot it was.

You have to understand my background with heat and electronics. I own a high performance computer, which is significantly overclocked. I am quite obsessive about keeping electronics cold. So much so that my computer has a liquid cooling system, and I get worried if the CPU temp hits 35C (the maximum recommended operating temp is 61C).

I like to keep the temps well below dangerous levels. Does anyone have any ideas for having the fan come on only when the radio is on?

I don't have an SWR meter, so I don't know how good the match is, but I know it's a 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna.
There is nothing covering the heatsink.

The conversation we were having lasted for over 2 hours if I'm not mistaken, with me doing most of the talking. After 2 hours, I'm not surprised it was warm/hot.
I could still touch it without getting burned, and I may be exaggerating how hot it was.

You have to understand my background with heat and electronics. I own a high performance computer, which is significantly overclocked. I am quite obsessive about keeping electronics cold. So much so that my computer has a liquid cooling system, and I get worried if the CPU temp hits 35C (the maximum recommended operating temp is 61C).

I like to keep the temps well below dangerous levels. Does anyone have any ideas for having the fan come on only when the radio is on?

Understood. That was a lot of time operating, and I'd imagine the heat sink on the unit is fairly beefy, so it'll hold heat for a while after you stop transmitting, so the cumulative effect of 2 hours on the air is going to be fairly significant. Even the back of my FT817 was warming up more than I'm used to it doing, not operating FM too much, and I was kind of being fascinated by that while I was talking to John and Matt last night. So, unless you're hearing a sizzle when you wet your finger and touch the heatsink, which was the impression I was almost getting from your description, it's probably normal. You should get a ballpark for the SWR -- doesn't the rig have a built in SWR meter? The problem is 2 meters is a big band, so knowing where the antenna is tuned to is important. If you bought it second hand from someone who was using it on their car or something to work 2 meter repeaters, then you're probably ok, assuming they tuned it. You probably won't damage the rig anyways as it'll fold back to protect itself, but no sense taking chances.

... I also mentioned that you were looking into getting us a club call...

I am NOT going to pull a callsign for a NES ham radio club until I get Dereks permission.

But, here is my thoughts on the following vanity calls for a NES club:

WB1NES - kinda long, nothing cool except the suffix.
KA1NES - kinda long, nothing cool except the suffix.
K1NES - Good simple NES call
N1NES - Good simple NES call
W1NES - Good simple NES call. Pretty cool. Looks like the word WINES.

OK. Lets hear what you guys think.

/John

Last edited:
Understood. That was a lot of time operating, and I'd imagine the heat sink on the unit is fairly beefy, so it'll hold heat for a while after you stop transmitting, so the cumulative effect of 2 hours on the air is going to be fairly significant. Even the back of my FT817 was warming up more than I'm used to it doing, not operating FM too much, and I was kind of being fascinated by that while I was talking to John and Matt last night. So, unless you're hearing a sizzle when you wet your finger and touch the heatsink, which was the impression I was almost getting from your description, it's probably normal. You should get a ballpark for the SWR -- doesn't the rig have a built in SWR meter? The problem is 2 meters is a big band, so knowing where the antenna is tuned to is important. If you bought it second hand from someone who was using it on their car or something to work 2 meter repeaters, then you're probably ok, assuming they tuned it. You probably won't damage the rig anyways as it'll fold back to protect itself, but no sense taking chances.

He wasnt just heating up his own radio..... he is so long-winded the repeater had to take a break a couple times!....LOLOLOL. Sorry Turbocharged, I couldnt resist....LOL.

/John

He wasnt just heating up his own radio..... he is so long-winded the repeater had to take a break a couple times!....LOLOLOL. Sorry Turbocharged, I couldnt resist....LOL.

/John

The real question is how how the heatsink on the repeater amp got! I can't bust him too much though, I can be a notorious repeater timer abuser myself.

N1NES jumps off at me as "nines"; My vote is for K1NES then A2NES.

The more I roll it off in Morse the more I like A2NES too. The only problem is I want to naturally drop the letter space between the 2 and the N -- I have to kind of "force" the space.

Last edited:
This Saturday, Feb. 13, The Algonquin ARA will host their annual amateur radio flea market at the Marlboro Middle School, from 9:00 to 1:00. Admission is $5.00 and there is a VE session at 9:00.
Talk-in on the MMRA's 147.270 and 449.925

http://www.qsl.net/n1em/2010flier

I'll try and make it over at some point, pick up some radio stuff that I didn't know I needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom