• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES braintrust - help me with sling setup on a bolt action

92G

Ruger american ranch (bolt action) in 7.62x39. it has standard sling swivels at bottom of stock. fine for slinging over shoulder although I am so accustomed to a 1- or 2-point AR/AK type sling with the rifle positioned across my chest / muzzle pointing down to left. I'm looking for a method to attach a similar "tactical" 2 point sling, essentially to sling rifle in front. I've dug around various forums and cannot find a solution.

I'm not looking for advice on AR or AK slings. This is a bolt action and will need some other solution than a typical AR/AK sling method which are easy to setup. The issue here is not the sling itself but rather attachment method. I don't mind drilling into the stock if it will provide a solution. Worst case scenario i get a replacement stock from Ruger. This rifle uses mini-30 mags so is not compatible with aftermarket AICS pattern stocks such as the magpul hunter or MDT chassis.

This is the rifle

I'm running a RDS towards the front of the pic rail, so I've got plenty of room there to attach a pic-QD or equivalent, which could provide a single attachment point.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Magpul makes a stock for that rifle with alternate sling positions. Take a look at that and see if it fit your needs.

I prefer a two-point sling as it can be used as a stabilizing aid when shooting. With the right swivels they will work with the studs already installed on your rifle.

I prefer a two-point sling as it can be used as a stabilizing aid when shooting. With the right swivels they will work with the studs already installed on your rifle.
Same here. My Savage .223 bolt action wears an Uncle Mike's nylon utility sling. Inexpensive and works well for off-hand shooting.

Ruger american ranch (bolt action) in 7.62x39. it has standard sling swivels at bottom of stock. fine for slinging over shoulder although I am so accustomed to a 1- or 2-point AR/AK type sling with the rifle positioned across my chest / muzzle pointing down to left. I'm looking for a method to attach a similar "tactical" 2 point sling, essentially to sling rifle in front. I've dug around various forums and cannot find a solution.

I'm not looking for advice on AR or AK slings. This is a bolt action and will need some other solution than a typical AR/AK sling method which are easy to setup. The issue here is not the sling itself but rather attachment method. I don't mind drilling into the stock if it will provide a solution. Worst case scenario i get a replacement stock from Ruger. This rifle uses mini-30 mags so is not compatible with aftermarket AICS pattern stocks such as the magpul hunter or MDT chassis.

This is the rifle

I'm running a RDS towards the front of the pic rail, so I've got plenty of room there to attach a pic-QD or equivalent, which could provide a single attachment point.

Thanks in advance
i have no idea of this products quality but you just need to experiment with different Ideas.

Sorry link is not working but looks like this.

1613915657512.png

You could also epoxy bed something like the M lock sling adapter into the stock? The more area you give the epoxy to hold onto the better.
Only thing is some synthetic stock just dont hold well.

You could try to install these in that synthetic stock. I dont know how well that stock will hold screws and epoxy ? Are the factory sling swivels molded into the stock or screwed into a molded threaded bosel.
Your not finding much in the way of what you want cause not many are thinking of slinging it up that way. i would start with a sling made for what your wanting to do and use "string " and find the attachment point you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:

no they will not allow the rifle to sling in front. the standard sling swivels are designed for boomer carry

came up w a solution...

front sling mount: magpul RSA attached to the front of pic rail
rear sling mount: drilled holes in stock to accommodate a loop of paracord, which is tied inside the stock so the knot isn't visible

so far working well for tactical operations in the bathroom and kitchen

IMG_6901.jpg IMG_6902.jpg

IMG_6903.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6901.jpg
    IMG_6901.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6902.jpg
    IMG_6902.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 7
Question for @92G

How do you find carrying the rifle in the front when using a backpack? Does it slam into your nuts when running or jumping?

Question for @92G

How do you find carrying the rifle in the front when using a backpack? Does it slam into your nuts when running or jumping?

just did the work this morning. haven't tried w a backpack yet. can't see any reason it would slam me in the nuts. for me that has only happened w a single point sling

Safari Sling, I have one I have used on a Remington 7400 and it is now on my Win M70. Works great, can also be used like a regular sling as well.

came up w a solution...

front sling mount: magpul RSA attached to the front of pic rail
rear sling mount: drilled holes in stock to accommodate a loop of paracord, which is tied inside the stock so the knot isn't visible

so far working well for tactical operations in the bathroom and kitchen

View attachment 452883View attachment 452884

View attachment 452885
not sure if I want the sling tugging at the pic rail but good job in a solution.....if it works for you , its good.

You must own a drill; or paracord; or both.

For the rear, I'd have been very relieved to find something like this to try first:

fetch

fetch

What I'd really hope for would be something that utilized the rear sling screw
to help anchor the strap. If no entrepreneur had invented such a thing,
I would even be tempted to cut/melt a hole in the strap
so that it fit neatly over that screw.

But then again, I'm an appliance operator.

How about this bad boy with the shell-holder material
mostly removed by painstaking stitch-cutting?
Amazon product ASIN B075R1PSH1View: https://www.amazon.com/HTBMALL-Adjustable-Shooters-Buttstock-Magazine/dp/B075R1PSH1

Or this bare-bones item with fastenings added?

Implicit in all of this is the assumption that you've got access to
something like this to attach the sling to the frob circling the buttstock:

Back
Top Bottom