• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES HF net?

Not in the radio room right now. Although I have no problem hitting the Warren Repeater
Yes, but I'm not so sure on my end. This is why I am curious if I can hear anyone. Right now, it is silent as a churchmouse, so I don't even know if this works or I'm doing it right.

I almost never run my radio while driving, but I might give it a shot one evening. I think that I can reach Paxton from the car.

I'm listening on 147.2100 right now. Again, can't reply back, but can let you know here. I'd be happy just to know I can receive broadcasts at this point. The only things I've heard to date are "George's Net", weather radio, and police/fire channels.

I was out the door before six for a club meeting so I didn't hear anyone. The only scheduled activity on 147.210 Warren is a weather net at 5pm every Wednesday. There are a couple of guys that chat on a regular basis usually mid-morning and a few others that jump on at random times.

I was out the door before six for a club meeting so I didn't hear anyone. The only scheduled activity on 147.210 Warren is a weather net at 5pm every Wednesday. There are a couple of guys that chat on a regular basis usually mid-morning and a few others that jump on at random times.
Maybe that is a good opportunity for people to communicate, since it seems so open.

How about 9:00 PM?

Was not able to partisapT tonight and I will not be able to tomorrow. I will be out of town. I hope someone else from NES was on the net tonight.

I was able to hear the net off and on in the car tonight in Hudson area (NH). Can't hear it at my house, just two bars of static.

Had to do some work on the radios last night. Haven't used the 2m rig in the shack for a while so i had to rewire a few things. Will test wilbraham, warren and paxton hopefully tonight. Paxton has always been reachable so that should be a no brainer. Is there a net on Paxton tonight?

Had to do some work on the radios last night. Haven't used the 2m rig in the shack for a while so i had to rewire a few things. Will test wilbraham, warren and paxton hopefully tonight. Paxton has always been reachable so that should be a no brainer. Is there a net on Paxton tonight?
I think that they run that net every night.

Is there a net on Paxton tonight?
7:30

More here:

www.caltopo.com has some nice tools for stuff like that.

Right click on map:
Viewshed - lets you see what you could see from that location. You can also add elevation which could be helpful in determining what you'd see from a mast/tower.
Profile - lets you see the profile between two (or more) points.

From my house to roughly the Paxton area.

1678495283175.png

Speaking of HF, I have some wire and other doodads on their way. I picked up some electric fence posts last night to try 80m NVIS. They'll hold the wire 3' off the ground which should give me some range, but not great. If that fails I can hoist the center up some, but I'd rather not.

I might be listening. Heading out soon, but might have portable along with me.
Are there separate ones for Monson/Wilbraham, or are they one and the same?
Also, I see repeaters for Amherst and Belchertown. Anybody ever use those? How about Mt. Tom?

I tried it, but it kept freezing up at a certain point. Might not be agreeable with the Brave browser.

Will try again with a different browser. Where do you go to get that "measured profile" you showed?
I guess it's just called "Profile". Right click, then just click as if you were measuring in Google maps. It works in my Brave browser on a mac. It does get a little hiccup-y if you zoom in and out too fast.

Also more topical to the non-ham section is the ability to add "sectors" and "range rings".

The simulated view is neat. I've used it a few times to help identify peaks in my view. Kind of cool.

Also, I see repeaters for Amherst and Belchertown. Anybody ever use those? How about Mt. Tom?
Same one it is the Monson repeater but it is located on Wilbraham Mt. In Wilbraham

Not sure about Belchertown or Amherst I have never herd them. I don't use the Mt Tom repeater any longer. Long story I will clue you in about my experience on that repeater if we are ever face to face

I was on again tonight no one else from NES I guess no one from NES can hit the Paxton Repeater or no one wants to partisapate. This is why this never works I have tried before and with the same result.

I was on again tonight no one else from NES I guess no one from NES can hit the Paxton Repeater or no one wants to partisapate. This is why this never works I have tried before and with the same result.
I can hit paxton. I got on too late last night and couldn't get on tonight. Maybe Saturday will work.

Yesterday was Saturday. Do they run this net on Sunday? I will give it one more try tonight. It just seems as though no one from NES wants to try this. If we have NES members log into the net and mention NES we can set up a NES qso after the net the repeater is normally clear after the net.

Same one it is the Monson repeater but it is located on Wilbraham Mt. In Wilbraham
Can you list the necessary radio settings, please? I may have it somewhere, but might as well have it together with this discussion.

Yesterday was Saturday. Do they run this net on Sunday? I will give it one more try tonight. It just seems as though no one from NES wants to try this. If we have NES members log into the net and mention NES we can set up a NES qso after the net the repeater is normally clear after the net.
I think so. You could also try it on your Monson repeater. How is a "net" different than a "qso"?

A qso is just talking to each other no net opperator or net protocall. Just normal conversation. May I make a suggestion? You shoul;d get yourself a copy of Ham Radio for Dummies, This book will help you with am greater understanding of ham radio opperation and it coveres a lot of what you do not learn from the test questions. I am not sure many of the NES ham opperators would be able to hit the Monson Repeater.
Monson 147.105 PL 162.2
Give ti a try and see if you can hit it or in your case if you can hear it.
I will call out on the Monson Repeater at 5:00PM see if you can hear me.
John N1HM

Last edited:
Sorry, was out this afternoon/evening. I'm back now. People are still on CMARA talking now.
I can check Monson again for you, if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom