NES Yardsale Find Pics!

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
Ok maybe not a yard sale but but close. This is Colt Series 70 which was boght by a first time Colt owner. I had modified a gun for the clients dad and he caught the bug. This gun had a lot of issues when he bought it. The frame had a few extra holes drilled in it for an old school scope mount, the slide had a drilled in it to hold the firing pin stop in place. The Wichita rear sight was a little buggered and the cuts did not come close to anything like a BoMar. The good part was it had a well fit Wilson barrel. I kinda shook my head at first thinking the owner should look for a better candidate, but in Mass. Colts can't be found new, at least legally. First ot was off to "Mr X" for some welding which I had to beg him to do. The frame holes where not too bad, but the whole in the slide caused me worry since it went right into the FP stop slot. Then checkering. A new S&A beavertail was cut and blended to the frame tangs, a EB thumb safety was custom shaped. New 25LPI MSH to match the front strap was radiused. The hammer, sear and FP stop are Warner. Client chose two triggers, a Nighthawk shown here and a Harrison Design smooth unit. The front sight was brazed in place, so I just reshaped it in the mill for a better look. The slide was French cut. The flats on the slide were high polished and the rest was beaded for a matt finish. Wolford did a great job with the bluing. The grips are ironwood from my supply, but the owner was thinking of (pimp) pearl. I think the ironwood looks classic.

Back
Top Bottom