• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Acquisitions for December 2006

Picked up this Smith and Wesson Model 625, went straight to the range and knocked off 100 rounds. Not really thrilled with the bead blast finish or the dirty looking trigger, but very happy with everything else. [smile]

645pix.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a 1917 Colt that is in excellent condition. It has been parked during refurb and it as tight as if it were new. Finish is probably 90% or better. Grips are original and show average wear. The pictures show shiny highlights and it comes off as wear and don't do the finish justice.

I really know nothing about the 1917 and can't find much about it on the web.

It has 'US Army 1917 No 146xxx' stamped on the butt frame (the lanyard loop is between the 1917 and the No) and 2985xx stamped in the frame under the crane and the same number is on the crane.

Can anyone tell me why there are two numbers on this and which would be the serial number and when it was made?

Could anyone tell me what it might be worth so I'll know if I got a real bargain at $450?

1917colt1.jpg

1917colt2.jpg

BTW, any one have any moon clips they don't need?

Last edited:
Another forum told me the actual Colt serial serial number was on the crane and the number on the butt is the Mil service number. Also that it was probably shipped in Jan 1918. I'm learning !

You probably already know but figured I'd mention that Surplus Rifle has a section on them.

Only 4 C&R's so far, but there is agun show next week and Chrismas also+ another 29 days to find more stuff.
1) Egyptian FN49. Nice gun shoots good

2) Mosan Nagant M91/59. Didn't have one yet so I got it.

3) Dasiy Hedden VL. This is a weird gun. Only made 1968-1969. This shoots .22 cassless ammo. I got about 550 rounds for it too.

4) Mauser 1914 pistol. This gun looks like it has been around. It need a fireing pin spring to work, but it was cheap and it's hard to turn down cheap guns.

Well that's it for now.

They are really nicely built rifles. I was thinking of getting a bent handle bolt body, but I think I'm going to leave it as is.

Gary

You should be able to tell the diference in barrel thickness. The 91/59 had a cut down barrel from a 91/30 and is thicker than the M38 and M44 rifles. I've heard thats why these are more accurate.
I'd leave the straight bolt. After all it is a collectable rifle and you may need the leverage in case the bolt gets sticky on some ammo. Recently on another forum there were posts about reports on WW2 Russian soldiers operating their Mosin bolts with their left hand reaching over the receiver for more leverage.

You should be able to tell the diference in barrel thickness. The 91/59 had a cut down barrel from a 91/30 and is thicker than the M38 and M44 rifles. I've heard thats why these are more accurate.
I'd leave the straight bolt. After all it is a collectable rifle and you may need the leverage in case the bolt gets sticky on some ammo. Recently on another forum there were posts about reports on WW2 Russian soldiers operating their Mosin bolts with their left hand reaching over the receiver for more leverage.

I have to look more closely at the barrels to check. Interesting about using the left hands. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Gary

a door busting good time

new mossberg 500 tactical cruiser with door breaching muzzlebreak [smile]

12_06_9.jpg

12_06_8.jpg

close up of the break...

12_06_2.jpg

anyone got any locked doors they need opened? [mg]

Got this today at a group rate with bloodhound and another buddy of mine...Thnx Collectors Coin!!

12_06_0.jpg

P.S. if you want to come break into my house it wont be hard i no longer have any doors!

Back
Top Bottom