• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New acquisitions for January 2008

Thats what Madmarco said when I bought it. Luckily I have a ton of 7.62X54R in all configurations. No heavy ball in this baby!

I researched a little more and found that if it is a PSL it will have a triangle with an arrow in it under the receiver. Those are rare if it is and they also sometimes have the third access hole which the BATF considers a machine gun receiver even if its welded shut. [rolleyes]

Heres a link for some great info on these beauties. http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.htm

My first of '08

A mosin 91/30 I picked up from Madmarc at ZHA yesterday. I figured I was going to the milsurp shoot so why not get something new (to me) to bring along.
91_30A.jpg

A mosin 91/30 I picked up from Madmarc at ZHA yesterday. I figured I was going to the milsurp shoot so why not get something new (to me) to bring along.
91_30A.jpg

Looks good. Just remember to clean out the chamber good before shooting so you get any crud out to avoid a sticky bolt. Once those first rounds are fired and cosmolene warms after sitting for so long, it can make the bolt real hard to open.
Also, don't forget to use the cleaning kit tool to check your firing pin protrusion.

Wow that M19 is really nice. Pinned and recessed as well. You must have spent quite a bit for that gem. Congrats.

I've only shot four revolvers in my life... probably a total of 25 rounds.
So please excuse my ignorance, but, what does pinned and recessed
mean?

I do plan on owning a few someday.

mean?

Up above, Jim said that it definitely makes the gun more valuable to collectors. I'd give you a more detailed answer if I could...But I can't... hehe [thinking][smile] I'm new to revolvers as well... so hopefully one of the more knowledgeable wheel gun guys will stop in to give a good detailed answer. I'd like to know too!

That is one hell of a wheel gun (jealous)...makes me want to do more overtime

Thanks! I will not be taking this one for granted. That's for sure. It'll stay in my collection for a long long time.

Last edited:
Pinned and recessed....

note the pin in the frame above where the barrel mates to it. It secures the barrel to the frame..and old technique before press fitting.

IMG_2269.jpg

In the photo showing the rear of the cylinder...note that the bores are recessed in from the back of the cylinder. Modern revolvers do not have this. The rim of the cartridge just sits on the back of the cylinder.

IMG_2289.jpg

These features mean old 'quality' technology and greatly add to the value of the gun.

Last edited:
I've only shot four revolvers in my life... probably a total of 25 rounds.
mean?

I do plan on owning a few someday.

The barrel is secured to the frame with a pin (just about where the top strap meets the front of the frame). Recessed... the chambers are counter-bored so the cartridge rims fit flush inside the cylinder.

And... that is a really nice looking revolver

my new hk usp 40 full size

It the same pic in the dealer forum,I love it[smile] i put 300 round though it sunday.Now a want a hk usp 45.[smile]I also bought a compact at the same time will post pics soon

Last edited:
Hey guys--

First post!! These are my first two long guns.

This one is a Rossi single shot in .243win that my buddie bought me as a wedding presant. It has a Simmons 8 power scope.
longguns001.jpg

longguns002.jpg

And this one is a shottie that i bought 1/2/08.
H&R Pardner Protector Pump 12ga. Basicly an 870 knock off but for $160 it can't be beat.
longguns003.jpg

What do ya think??

alamarc

The barrel is secured to the frame with a pin (just about where the top strap meets the front of the frame). Recessed... the chambers are counter-bored so the cartridge rims fit flush inside the cylinder.

And... that is a really nice looking revolver

Not to be overly picky, but the purpose of the pin is not to effect the mechanical connection of the barrel to the frame. That purpose is accomplished by threading. The pin is a belt-and-suspenders assurance that the anti-torque effect of a lifetime of firing won't cause the barrel to back out of the its threading.

In fact, like the hammer block, it does nothing. If the barrell and frame are built to S&W specs, the last few degrees of torquing the barrel into the frame in order to have the sights and underlug line up pre-stress the threads sufficiently that there is no likelihood that they will work loose. Which is why the pin was dropped, some time in the 70s I believe.

Clean

Hat's off to Marc at ZHR for the great service helping us with Dez's new mosin I love the shop and the addition came out awesome thank you. It's not the best pic in the world plus my dog is a ham.
P1050131.jpg

Not to be overly picky, but the purpose of the pin is not to effect the mechanical connection of the barrel to the frame. That purpose is accomplished by threading. The pin is a belt-and-suspenders assurance that the anti-torque effect of a lifetime of firing won't cause the barrel to back out of the its threading.

In fact, like the hammer block, it does nothing. If the barrell and frame are built to S&W specs, the last few degrees of torquing the barrel into the frame in order to have the sights and underlug line up pre-stress the threads sufficiently that there is no likelihood that they will work loose. Which is why the pin was dropped, some time in the 70s I believe.

Great info!

Hat's off to Marc at ZHR for the great service helping us with Dez's new mosin I love the shop and the addition came out awesome thank you. It's not the best pic in the world plus my dog is a ham.

Wood on the stock looks great, nice grain and color, looks like you got a nice one.
Did the dog come in the Mosin accessory pack? [laugh]

Thanks to MikeD!! Nice guy to deal with! This is my first AR. It's a Rock River Arms stock lower.

Lwr%20A2.JPG

OK, that's not my pick, but you get the idea. I'll post a real pic when I get an upper and put it together!

Last edited:
Thanks to MikeD!! Nice guy to deal with! This is my first AR. It's a Rock River Arms stock lower.

Lwr%20A2.JPG

OK, that's not my pick, but you get the idea. I'll post a real pic when I get an upper and put it together!
Ooo, now you're joining the dark side. [smile]
Looks nice.

I'm picking up a brand new S&W M&P 340 with a 24/7 night sight at FS on Tuesday! My first wheel gun. Had to sell my G27 but I can't wait. I will post pics when I get it next week. [banana]

Last edited:
new for jan

No you would not have seen that one.It was one on mine,I bought 2 compact and 1 full size. I trade that one for a springfield champion in s.steel[smile]
Howie
Sorry guys some times it work out your father owning a gun shop[smile]But most of the time it hurt your saving acct.

Finally! I can contribute to these threads!

Auto Ordinance 1911-A1 PKZ. Bought it a few hours ago at Collector's in Stoneham. My first gun [smile][smile][smile]

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics. My camera is at work.

AO_1911A1PKZ_002.jpg

AO_1911A1PKZ_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom