• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New addition to my gun room

Well, it was finally time to do something about the rickety old 2x4 and plywood bench that held up the bulk of my shooting supplies/accessories so it was off to Home Depot I go! Low and behold, these cabinets were 75% off!!! WOOHOO! [smile] They are made by Mills Pride, and while they aren't your top of the line cabinet, I think they'll do just fine for this purpose. I managed to get the wall cabinets, base cabinets and all doors for under $175!!! I guess Mills Pride is coming out with a new line and discounted the current line down to 75%... the sales guy at Home Depot said this is the last price cut, then they're just throwing them out. [rolleyes]

Anyway... here's a pic. I have waaaay more space than I know what to do with.

P1010052.jpg

They come in all sorts of sizes and configs... the tough part is finding the doors that go with the specific cabinet size... I had to go to 3 HDs to get everything I needed... still saved a bunch of money!

Thanks for the kind words!

Just a heads up to anyone thinking about getting some cabinets... Better do it quick. Home Depot will be chucking whatever they have left in a week or two to make room for the new product.

Nice set-up... Can NOT wait for the GF to buy her house.....Plan on going to Cheapo Depot(Grossman Bargain store) to get some less the perfect cabinets

Oh, wow. I was just looking at a work bench solution at Sears the other day. I live in an apartment and don't really have a place where I can work on and clean guns so I figured I'd get one of the small Craftsman work benches they have in their tool dept. This setup you have is about 1000x larger, more useful, and CHEAPER than any of the benches they had :(

If you put a hasp and padlock on one of those cabinets, are they considered "safe storage" under MA law?

Coyote... I'm not entirely sure. Maybe one of the more legally inclined folk will chime in on that regard.

I should also mention that these cabinets are ones that you assemble yourself... each one takes between 15 (for the wall cabinets) and 30ish minutes (for the base cabinets) to put together. Then I just cut a piece of 3/4" MDF for a counter top and a piece of pegboard for in between.

If you put a hasp and padlock on one of those cabinets, are they considered "safe storage" under MA law?

I seem to remember when I asked about his some time ago one of the legal guys indicated that wood had to be at least 1 inch thick to be considered "proper storage". Whether that person was correct or not I can't say, but I used that for a benchmark when looking for a cabinet to hold my reloading supplies.

I seem to remember when I asked about his some time ago one of the legal guys indicated that wood had to be at least 1 inch thick to be considered "proper storage". Whether that person was correct or not I can't say, but I used that for a benchmark when looking for a cabinet to hold my reloading supplies.

Whoever might or might not have said it, there's absolutely no basis for such a specification. To the best of my knowledge, there's only a single decision as to exactly what constitutes proper storage. In that case, a poorly designed wooden cabinet (i.e., the heads of the screws were on the outside) was ruled not to be safe storage because the person knew that there was an emotionally disturbed minor in the house. There's no guidance on whether a properly designed cabinet would have worked or whether that cabinet would have worked without the known risk of the kid who ended up breaking in to get the guns.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom