New Aquisitions February 2017

I was worried it was going to kick like a mule but it's amazingly soft shooting.

I'm using 250gr Shockwaves (With Sabot) with 100 grains of IMR White Hot. Shoots well.

I'm thinking about playing with different powders and bullets this summer. White Hot seems very dirty - Two shots at best before cleaning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Well....white hots are about the cleanest black powder substitute you can get my friend. Its a black powder gun.....they are dirty! I do a spit swab down my barrel after each shot when using pyrodex pellets.

You say you use shockwaves in 250 grain....so do I. But remember you can mess around with different sabots too. I found the mag express sabot to be an absolute beeotch to get down the bore but gave me the best groups. I tried other sabots like super glides that were easier to run down the barrel but not as accurate.

I'm thinking about using powder for the first shot and pellets for followups in the woods. I gather that the powder is a bit cleaner burning than the pellets. Experimenting is going to be fun!

What kills me is if I had this gun in December, I'd have venison in my freezer. I missed a doe at 50 yards with my smoothbore barrel on the 870.

IMO you are best to keep the same powder and load once you find what works the best in your gun. Changing powder will definitely change your point of impact as well as maybe effect groupings. A fact you will undoubtedly see when you take it out to play with different loads.

attachment.php

Pardon my ignorance, but what are you rockin' here?

Well....white hots are about the cleanest black powder substitute you can get my friend. Its a black powder gun.....they are dirty! I do a spit swab down my barrel after each shot when using pyrodex pellets.

You say you use shockwaves in 250 grain....so do I. But remember you can mess around with different sabots too. I found the mag express sabot to be an absolute beeotch to get down the bore but gave me the best groups. I tried other sabots like super glides that were easier to run down the barrel but not as accurate.
Thanks! Like I said, brand new to muzzleloaders. I'm loving just about everything about them. Like you said, the trigger on the impact is sweeeet.

What do you mean by a spit swab? I've been running a patch with th TC cleaning solution down the barrel every second or third shot.

Is it worth buying the spray bottle cleaner for the in between cleanings?

Thanks! Like I said, brand new to muzzleloaders. I'm loving just about everything about them. Like you said, the trigger on the impact is sweeeet.

What do you mean by a spit swab? I've been running a patch with th TC cleaning solution down the barrel every second or third shot.

Run a patch with solvent / alcohol/ literal spit down the barrel to clean out the fouling between shots. I used the literal spit method and it worked fine for me :)

Last edited:

By spit swab......I mean I actually spit on the patch.....then swab the bore. [smile]

Its the field expedient method for reloading in the field too.......when I take a shot at a deer even if I see it go down the first thing I do is reload before approaching the downed animal in case I have to fire again if its not expired yet. I do keep a patch and my jag in my coat and run a spit swab before reloading. Like I said I use mag express sabots and they are tight sumbitches to ram even on a clean bore so it's necessary to give it a quick patching before reloading.

I find muzzle loading to be fun as hell on certain occasions. I want to pick up an actual flint lock to screw around with next.

Oh.....and have to ask.....have you tried shooting it with 150 grains of powder yet? WOOOOOHOOOOO!
- - - Updated - - -

Run a patch with solvent / alcohol/ literal spit down the barrel to clean out the fouling between shots. I used the literal spit method and it worked fine for me :)

It works just fine!

Last edited:
By spit swab......I mean I actually spit on the patch.....then swab the bore. [smile]

Its the field expedient method for reloading in the field too.......when I take a shot at a deer even if I see it go down the first thing I do is reload before approaching the downed animal in case I have to fire again if its not expired yet. I do keep a patch and my jag in my coat and run a spit swab before reloading. Like I said I use mag express sabots and they are tight sumbitches to ram even on a clean bore so it's necessary to give it a quick patching before reloading.

I find muzzle loading to be fun as hell on certain occasions. I want to pick up an actual flint lock to screw around with next.

Oh.....and have to ask.....have you tried shooting it with 150 grains of powder yet? WOOOOOHOOOOO!
- - - Updated - - -

It works just fine!
Haven't tried 150gr yet. But I'm going on Sunday and plan to try it out.

Last edited:
6631aea3870502cad4edba36fab07a1f.jpg

Took possession today. ****ing stoked. Couldn't get a better day to ride down from Peabody. A little much sand out and about for someone who hasn't been on a sport bike in about a decade, but I'm working my way back.
1fb810c55de8af4a5e8aab3275c902fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMG_5095.jpg IMG_5097.jpg

January purchase but finally got around to mounting Nikon 3x9 scope.
Thompson Bone Collector, .50 Cal.
Pleased with my first attempt to mount rifle scope and bore sight.
Just got back form the range...[smile]No adjustments needed - 50 & 75 yds....

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

It works just fine!

150gr of powder was a hoot. Got it zero'd perfectly. Now for some 50 and 100 yard practice from the standing and sitting positions.

b5f1746e1c85293b49b216c8603969e0.jpg

Finally pieced together this sucker after having the lower receiver for years. Thanks to Maura Healey for motivating me to actually build it.

-Shadow Ops billet lower (yes, the company that went bankrupt and stole a ton of people's money on pre-orders. I was lucky to get mine)
-Red Barn Armory lpk/BCM Mod 3 charging handle & grip/Magpul BAD lever
-Geissele match rifle trigger
-Magpul fixed carbine stock (might change this for something longer)
-JP silent captured buffer spring
-AIMsurplus BCG
-Micro Moa complete upper 17.3"
-VG6 gamma ex muzzle brake (thanks Northeast Arms for pinning it)
-SWFA 3-15x on a ADM recon mount

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally pieced together this sucker after having the lower receiver for years. Thanks to Maura Healey for motivating me to actually build it.

-Shadow Ops billet lower (yes, the company that went bankrupt and stole a ton of people's money on pre-orders. I was lucky to get mine)
-Red Barn Armory lpk/BCM Mod 3 charging handle & grip/Magpul BAD lever
-Geissele match rifle trigger
-Magpul fixed carbine stock (might change this for something longer)
-JP silent captured buffer spring
-AIMsurplus BCG
-Micro Moa complete upper 17.3"
-VG6 gamma ex muzzle brake (thanks Northeast Arms for pinning it)
-SWFA 3-15x on a ADM recon mount

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

curious what your jp silent capture spring looks like, some of the dimensions and such. also weight. thinking about ordering one for an sbr

thanks

Back
Top Bottom