New ATF Law

How has this Federal law affected our ability to transfer firearms? My brother is a stroke victim and won't be able to renew his license. He wants to transfer his pre-94 AR-180 to me, can this still be done through a private transfer?

Am i wrong in assuming that your brother is a MA resident? Do you think it is a physical reason he can't renew? Has someone told him he can't renew?
He's had multiple strokes that greatly affected his memory and other reasoning skills. It's not a mental illness, just the permanent affects from the strokes. Any idea if others like him renewed their licenses?

He's had multiple strokes that greatly affected his memory and other reasoning skills. It's not a mental illness, just the permanent affects from the strokes. Any idea if others like him renewed their licenses?
Sorry about your friend.

I wouldn't write off a god given right so easily. Leave the thread open and see who responds. You didn't answer the other questions, though. People who can, and want to help need those anwers.

There is a gamble with applying and being denied vs talking to a good 2A attorney, some on NES, before submitting his application.

What city would the renewal be in?

Sorry about your friend.

I wouldn't write off a god given right so easily. Leave the thread open and see who responds. You didn't answer the other questions, though. People who can, and want to help need those anwers.

There is a gamble with applying and being denied vs talking to a good 2A attorney, some on NES, before submitting his application.

Let it go.

For starters, it doesn’t sound like his friend is going to be able to enjoy shooting anymore, plus there’s this:

… He wants to transfer his pre-94 AR-180 to me,

How has this Federal law affected our ability to transfer firearms? My brother is a stroke victim and won't be able to renew his license. He wants to transfer his pre-94 AR-180 to me, can this still be done through a private transfer?
ATF doesn't have "lawmaking" power.

Assuming this is about the "engaged in the business" rulemaking, I would expect that the EFA10 hard limit on transfers means the updated federal rule has zero impact on subjects of Massachusetts' uber-strict transfer regime.

Sorry about your friend.

Bourne

He has a hard time answering questions from me so I don’t know how going over the renewal with the police sergeant is going to go.
The way they are doing it now you go in with the filled out application. Then he punches the stuff into the computer while asking you some questions.

He has a hard time answering questions from me so I don’t know how going over the renewal with the police sergeant is going to go.
The way they are doing it now you go in with the filled out application. Then he punches the stuff into the computer while asking you some questions.
Speech difficulty due to physical disability is not a suitability issue so a chief would have a serious hurdle to get over.
However if he understands the limitations that the strokes have left him with and wants to divest of the guns then just do the transfer.
If no money changes hands then even the ATF BS can't claim he is operating as a dealer. And even if the ATF tried they would be stepping on their dicks so hard doing so that it would be hilarious to see the courts reaction.

I'm not sure if this is the only thread on this, but the judge in State of Texas et al v. ATF law suit over the "Engaged in the Business" rule has just issued an injunction barring the ATF from enforcing this against the plaintiffs. Which of course doesn't apply in MA, but it does in other parts of the country.

Memorandum and Order

CONCLUSIONPlaintiffs’ Motion for a preliminary injunction is GRANTED. Defendants are herebyENJOINED from enforcing the regulations — “Definition of ‘Engaged in the Business’ as aDealer in Firearms” — published at 89 Fed. Reg. 28968 (April 19, 2024) (to be codified at 27C.F.R. pt. 478) against all Plaintiffs pending the resolution of this lawsuit.SO ORDERED.June 11, 2024 ________

I'm not sure if this is the only thread on this, but the judge in State of Texas et al v. ATF law suit over the "Engaged in the Business" rule has just issued an injunction barring the ATF from enforcing this against the plaintiffs. Which of course doesn't apply in MA, but it does in other parts of the country.

Memorandum and Order
If one was a member of those affected groups, like GOA, wouldn’t they be covered?

Federal Judge Blocks ATF Rule Expanding Definition Of Gun Dealer​

In his opinion handed down June 11, U.S. District Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk for the Northern District of Texas said the enforcement of the new rule relies on “highly problematic” presumptions that will “trigger civil or criminal penalties for conduct deemed lawful just yesterday.”

Back
Top Bottom