New Bedford LTC Application Process

Hey ya’ll,

I just scheduled my appointment today, 02/02/2020, with the NBPD and they gave me an appointment in late March. Way sooner than I anticipated, as I have read it could be a 3-6+ month wait.

The officer on the phone was telling me this year is a good year to apply/renew as next year’s wait will be months.

Also he told me that they no longer require a letter to the Chief of Police for LTC-A unrestricted applications. They also do not need any letters of recommendations, just names of two people that you know.

I will continue to update this thread throughout the process to update fellow New Bedford peeps on the process.

just names of two people that you know.

And mail addresses. I always look them up as I cannot remember the zip codes.

Probably the year when people licensed back in the days of $25 LTCs come up for renewal.

It's been $100 for my last 3 renewals. I seem to remember $45 before that.

Update:
Due to COVID-19 my appointment for the 24th of March was obviously cancelled. Was told to call back April 6th to reschedule. But due to Gov. Bakers extension I don't anticipate I'll be able to submit my application till late May early June. Will update the thread when I learn more.

And mail addresses. I always look them up as I cannot remember the zip codes.

It's been $100 for my last 3 renewals. I seem to remember $45 before that.
You remember correctly unless the issuing dept assessed an ultra vires fee. The old cost was $25.

I would say just feel lucky you had your interview prior this pandemic (in a sense)
A good friend of mine applied in Feb and later that month, Medford (town they live in) stated they have practically Stopped processing new applications. :(

I would say just feel lucky you had your interview prior this pandemic (in a sense)
A good friend of mine applied in Feb and later that month, Medford (town they live in) stated they have practically Stopped processing new applications. :(

Interview/App process for me is the same day. Unfortunately I didn't make it in in-time before the pandemic. It sucks. No word on them not accepting new apps yet. I'll find out when I call tomorrow. :confused:

Ugh. I miss-read your original post. Well on the bright side.... even if you had your LTC, no one is open to sell a gun or ammo. Nor could u sign up to a club to shoot.
I belong to two clubs, and they are both closed. Though I did just played dumb and went to one and shot today, surprisingly I was not the only one doing the same.

My last renewal was not to bad but the one before that was terrible. I called NB for my appointment on the last week of August. My LTC expired at the end of Oct. I didn't get into my appointment till the very end of November. The worst part was i first called in July and they told me it was to early to schedule the appointment. Since the passing of the old Chief, the licensing has gone smoother.

**UPDATE** After contacting the department weekly they have finally "reopened" and allowed people to make appointments. I have finally made an appointment, again 5 months later, for early August. Heard from a friend on the "inside" that all new applicants lately have been unrestricted. Will update again after appointment and then when I get my license.

**UPDATE** Submitted my application today. Took about 15 minutes, no interview. Just took prints. Licensing Officer said 4-9 weeks processing time before I get my license or not.

Well the LTC processing batch from July 22-August 3rd took 4 weeks turn around time. Hopefully first week of September I shall find out my status.

Good news. Called the hotline to check the status of my application and they said yesterday my license was issued to the NBPD. Now waiting on NBPD to give me a phone call to pick it up or mail it to me.

I remember I got my first LTC in New Bedford about 1975 or so. The reason you needed to give was ‘Carrying large sums of money’. The dollar amount was never specified. The Officer doing the application simply said ‘a hundred dollars may be a large sum of money for some’.

Finally received my LTC today in the mail with no restrictions. So glad this process is over. Overall took 6 weeks from application submission to receiving the license.

[party]put shooting supply westport on your list of places to check out. usually have ammo for whatever you buy, but expect to pay $$$$ not their fault

just in time for you to pay 4x the cost of ammo from when you started the process. What range you applying to?
Haha ya it sucks. Haven't decided on what range yet. Got my training at MassFirearmsSchool but that is an hour drive each way....any recommendations for the area?

Last edited:
[party]put shooting supply westport on your list of places to check out. usually have ammo for whatever you buy, but expect to pay $$$$ not their fault
They are on my list! Having trouble finding the firearms I want to try out and/or buy...the nationwide panic is definitely in full swing.

Congrats

For ranges there is a small pistol range in the southend of nb, hixville road, woodcock in dartmouth , acushnet, rochester, middleboro.

Haha ya it sucks. Haven't decided on what range yet. Got my training at MassFirearmsSchool but that is an hour drive each way....any recommendations for the area?
I belong to sippican in rochester off of 105. That is strictly outdoor. I also belong to Taunton rifle and pistol for the use of their 24hr indoor range. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Back
Top Bottom