• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Colt revolver vs old Smith & Wesson revolver

New Colt revolver or old Smith & Wesson revolver?

• Total voters
I’d like to know which gun you prefer based on ergonomics, trigger, accuracy, and aesthetics. Do you like the new 6” Colt python or would you rather have an older Smith &Wesson revolver like a model 19?

I’m jonesing for something new in my collection and the older Smith offerings go on and on, but man is that Colt spicy.

I've had holder model 19s, model 10s, K-22s, and a K-38. All good guns. But they're not on the same level as the Colts. The Pythons and Diamondbacks were all more accurate, had better triggers, and felt better and balanced better in the hand.

For my personal taste, those Smiths were great but the Colts were always a bit better. For new stuff, I find the Smiths to be mediocre at best and the one Colt Python that I had the pleasure of shooting was excellent.

I've had holder model 19s, model 10s, K-22s, and a K-38. All good guns. But they're not on the same level as the Colts. The Pythons and Diamondbacks were all more accurate, had better triggers, and felt better and balanced better in the hand.

For my personal taste, those Smiths were great but the Colts were always a bit better. For new stuff, I find the Smiths to be mediocre at best and the one Colt Python that I had the pleasure of shooting was excellent.

Yes, but he's asking to compare the NEWER Colt with the OLDER Smiths.

The modern Smith is, indeed, not that awesome.

My problem with old Colts is that they're almost built TOO well; I found them stiff and solid in a way that wasn't pleasant. An older Smith, I've always felt like it just naturally extends from the hand and does everything you need it to do.

Yes, but he's asking to compare the NEWER Colt with the OLDER Smiths.

The modern Smith is, indeed, not that awesome.

My problem with old Colts is that they're almost built TOO well; I found them stiff and solid in a way that wasn't pleasant. An older Smith, I've always felt like it just naturally extends from the hand and does everything you need it to do.
I can actually picture myself holding the two and shooting the two and I know what you mean when you say that. The older Smiths were lighter, and they pointed right on target and held on target forever it seemed (when shooting bullseye style). I think maybe the Colt double action trigger felt stiffer. I can't really remember. I almost always shot single action. And maybe that has a lot to do with preference too. The old 5 screw Smith triggers are amazing. But to me the Colt single action triggers were like glass.

Comparing the new Colt to older Smith I think is kind of hard. I think it comes down to preference too. And I don't think the new Colts are much different at all than the older ones. If I were given the option between the two it would be really hard. The collector in me would go for an older pinnned and recessed Smith. But for a shooter, I don't know. I might go with the new Colt.

I have a pre-Victory/Model 10 in 38 special. It’s like brand new. @LakeTrout put it perfectly. It’s light and it points perfectly. There’s something about that gun as well. It seems like it’s “been there”, if you know what I mean. Smoothest action ever. Smith said it was made in December, 1941.

I have a pre-Victory/Model 10 in 38 special. It’s like brand new. @LakeTrout put it perfectly. It’s light and it points perfectly. There’s something about that gun as well. It seems like it’s “been there”, if you know what I mean. Smoothest action ever. Smith said it was made in December, 1941.
Yeah, the 4” Model 10 comes close the being the perfect mix of weight, balance, ergonomics, and power. A flawless design mix of size with caliber.

If OP wants a .357 it obviously won’t do, but I’d trust my 1960s Model 10 with my life anytime. Also, if cost is a consideration, you’ll get a lot more bang for the buck with an older Smith vs a newer Colt.

Yeah, the 4” Model 10 comes close the being the perfect mix of weight, balance, ergonomics, and power. A flawless design mix of size with caliber.

I have a Model 10. It is a great revolver and I would never get rid of it. Balance is damn near perfect and with the heavy barrel there is not much muzzle flip.

My favorite old S&W is my Model 28. It has the honor of being the first center fire I bought after getting my LTC back in the early 80s. It has the 6" barrel and I've shot it out to 100 yards fairly accurate.

I have a Model 10. It is a great revolver and I would never get rid of it. Balance is damn near perfect and with the heavy barrel there is not much muzzle flip.

That's funny; all the ones I've owned have had pencil barrels. But regardless, I don't think it's possible to go wrong.

I've also got a Model 10 snubbie, and if you're used to a Model 36 like I was, it's a different world.

I've never fired a new Colt, but I've owned a bunch of old Colts and a bunch of old Smiths and the Smiths win, hands down. Every time.

Nothing feels as good as a nice old Smith.
+1

I have an old 686 that was my 21st birthday present. It got a trigger and 'blueprint' job back in the day and it is an absolutely superb firearm as far as function goes.

Vintage S&W is my choice.

the 19 is sweeeeet, but a 13 is also a good gun if you don't mind fixed sites.

I have owned and still have many older S+W revolvers mostly N. frames Had some J frames as well. Just picked up a mint Model 57 in 41 Mag with 4 inch barrel. Shoots awesome but gonna change grips to Pachmayer with finger grooves, All my magnum revolvers have the same makes a big difference.

I had an old Python. Sold it for a decent profit. I found it to be just a bad gun to shoot. It looked cool as hell. But that stacked trigger was just silly. Plus, take it apart and there are 50 parts to every one part in a Smith.

I've got a 20yo Smith 65. That sucker was made during the "S&W sucks - they don't make guns like they used to." Sure. Feel how smooth the DA pull is. Check creep and over travel on SA. I have zero use for it but I won't sell it b/c it's such a nice gun.

Guys thanks for the great advice. I was never interested in the old Smith revolvers. F8D3F8D3-964E-49A9-9AA0-DF1CB14D641A.jpeg I always thought of them as crappy old .38’s that Boston PD did away with in the 80’s. But recently I got a 629 Classic that has a very nice double action trigger. It got me itching to know more about smith and Wesson revolvers. F80DF977-4C59-4997-8815-BBD935482219.jpeg There are so many variations, eras, models, opinions and price points. I’m going to get an old Smith in .38 and or .357 soon.

My take on S&W revolvers is the hammer mounted firing pin. I don't care about the Hillary Hole, it's the firing pin that tells me how the QC was. I know that not ALL the guns made after the firing pin move are bad, but I also know that I've got less chance of a lemon with the original firing pin. Pinned barrel and recessed magnum chambers are just icing on the cake.

But I do think the Ruger -Sixes feel better in my hand. Just a little heavier than the Smiths, enough to feel balanced but not to the "hurr durr Ruger builds tanks hurr durp" of the current line of GP-100 / SP-101s.

Then there's the cylinder release to think about: the Smith push-button vs the Colt pull-thingie. That's primarily a training issue, but for me, the Smith method is far more intuitive.
Yes. The Colt cylinder release is slower to use.

Older 4” K-frames are God’s own revolver.

My take on S&W revolvers is the hammer mounted firing pin. I don't care about the Hillary Hole, it's the firing pin that tells me how the QC was. I know that not ALL the guns made after the firing pin move are bad, but I also know that I've got less chance of a lemon with the original firing pin. Pinned barrel and recessed magnum chambers are just icing on the cake.

But I do think the Ruger -Sixes feel better in my hand. Just a little heavier than the Smiths, enough to feel balanced but not to the "hurr durr Ruger builds tanks hurr durp" of the current line of GP-100 / SP-101s.
What about the firing pin indicates good qc? I have a gp100 that I love.

Back
Top Bottom