New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hey, I just registered and saw this thread so I thought I'd post. My name is Bill, and I live in Tyngsboro, MA, but go to school out at WPI in Worcester. Been shooting since I was a kid and they let us use the .22's at Scout camp. Just got my Class A LTC a few months ago so I'm still pretty new to the world of actually owning guns. I stumbled on the site when I was looking for some clarification on MA laws, and it looks like this is going to be a great place to get information!

I saw the link on the S&W Forum where I had listed a few guns for sale. Thought I would give your classifieds a try out. So far, I've gotten a decent number of replies and emails, whereas the S&W guys generally only want to talk S&W.

I also like the fact that the site is more regionally in tune with issues that affect me, so I'm sure I'll be hanging around. I'm also on the Ruger Forum quite a bit, and I'm an Admin on GunsAndAll.com

I don't know if this is the board to bring it up but I can't load this site from my ip address for some reason. I registered ok, and was in and out all day yesterday, but last night til now I can't get in. No problems with any other sites.

I'm using an anonymous surfer right now. Is the glitch at my end?

No, Comcast cable.

And I use a free juno email account. Is that the problem? I registered with it ok, and had 1 day with no problems.

Last edited:
Checking in and reporting for duty. Cuda444 actually recomended me from a different forum. So far ive been on here a few times a day just checking it out. Its great to have a forum with local information (I.E. laws and shoots). Thanks to everyone who has put in the time and effort in the law section. Even us LEO's have a hard time decifering all these crazy laws here in MA.

Welcome Dick!

And Ross I didn't know the laws were easy to decifer in MA.... I guess you're just smarter than everyone.[thinking]

The only reason I know a majority of what I do is because I bug Darius all the time.

And Ross I didn't know the laws were easy to decifer in MA.... I guess you're just smarter than everyone.
*sigh* Well, I am. [wink]

But that wasn't my point - my point was that if a COP has a hard time deciphering the laws, that is a scary thing - since it's all to easy to arrest someone thinking that he's broken a law when in fact, he hasn't. Means that our laws are unnecessarily complex - something that MA gun owners (who've been paying attention, anyway) already know. (and I'm well aware that this is NOT the cop's fault! It's the fault of the idiots in the legislature.)

It's just more proof for my theory that we should NOT have a full time legislature - they have way too much time to think up idiot laws. We should go to the NH model where they're part time - so that they have to have a real job to make ends meet and can understand what life is like when one doesn't live on Mt Olympus looking down on the mere mortals.

Last edited:
I see your point. However I wouldn't assume Dick would arrest someone if he wasn't 100% clear of the law.
He sounds too intelligent to do so - the very fact that he mentions it shows he's aware of the problem. [smile] Of course, the fact that he's logged in HERE shows that he's a man of uncommon intelligence! [smile]

everyone has to agree some of the laws are just confusing. Not every single law was bashed into our heads from Chpt 140. The guys in MA that really know thier shit with the firearms laws are state and EPO's.

Dwarven1 sorry my grammar and spelling is not the greatest.

everyone has to agree some of the laws are just confusing. Not every single law was bashed into our heads from Chpt 140. The guys in MA that really know thier shit with the firearms laws are state and EPO's.

I agree...

Don't mind Ross, he got picked on a lot in school. This is his little way of getting back at the "man". [wink]

Hi Folks, Checking in. I was referred here from a local motorcycle forum. A little bit of history. I took a class and got my LTC a couple years ago and I am finally going to pick up my first firearm this week. So I am looking to continue my education and start learning what I don't know so I can figure out how to fix that.

Thanks,
Randy

Don't sweat it - I pretty much ignore things unless someone makes a real "in your face" error...
Don't mind Ross, he got picked on a lot in school. This is his little way of getting back at the "man". [wink]
And since Derek knows better, when he picked up on the same error I couldn't resist tweaking the big man's nose by correcting his error. [wink]

It's (mostly) in fun - after all, he's ARMED! He could go Wild West on me!

Sorry... had a Liberal moment there. Saw my sister this weekend. [rolleyes]

Don't sweat it - I pretty much ignore things unless someone makes a real "in your face" error...

And since Derek knows better, when he picked up on the same error I couldn't resist tweaking the big man's nose by correcting his error. [wink]

It's (mostly) in fun - after all, he's ARMED! He could go Wild West on me!

Sorry... had a Liberal moment there. Saw my sister this weekend. [rolleyes]

[rofl] I was wondering when you were going to hit me. [wink]

Welcome to Dick and Randy! Hope you enjoy it here.

Dick, the real expert on MA gun laws is Chief Ron Glidden of Lee PD/Chmn of the Gov's Gun Control Advisory Board. He hits up the Sec. of Pub. Safety's Legal Counsel and the lawyers for the legislators who write the garbage we call Ch. 140 when he isn't certain of the answers. Fair warning: I have learned from Ron that the "meaning" sometimes changes when we get a different Sec. of Public Safety!!! [rolleyes]

If you ever get the chance to go to one of Ron's seminars on MA Gun Law, take the time and do so. He's also written "the book" for LEOs on it (thru MPI) . . . there are others, but Ron's is the most readable and definitive IMNSHO. Ron runs seminars specifically for LEOs (book included) thru MPI at the Marlboro HI and he sometimes does similar seminars at local gun clubs (I have brought him to Braintree R&P about 5 times IIRC).

Back
Top Bottom