• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Glock, G45

Maybe the 1911 doesn’t need constant grip redesigns cause it doesn’t feel like you’re holding a potato.

LOL. In the 1911 family I've got, or had, everything from Colts to Les Baer's and also a pristine Remington Rand. That having been said, my Glocks don't feel like potatoes.

Just picked up the pair today. They both got Vickers slide stops and magazine releases. I'm such a huge fan of those Vickers parts. I can't wait to get out and stretch them out. The trigger is definitely nicer than gen 4, but I'll still drop OC customs into them. The recoil springs are also not crazy tight out of the box like the Gen 4s... it's strange.

I'm bumping a 3.5-year-old thread rather starting new; this one seems as good as any.

I've finally grown tired of fighting the finger grooves on my Gen 3 G19, and am planning to move up to a Gen 5. I'm torn between staying with the G19 because I already have mags, or going up to the 19X/45 because it might fit my hands better.

Do any of y'all with the 45/19X want to meet up to let me fondle your gear help me decide? In the case of the 19X, can anybody explain the whole "doesn't fit magazines" issue?

I'm bumping a 3.5-year-old thread rather starting new; this one seems as good as any.

I've finally grown tired of fighting the finger grooves on my Gen 3 G19, and am planning to move up to a Gen 5. I'm torn between staying with the G19 because I already have mags, or going up to the 19X/45 because it might fit my hands better.

Do any of y'all with the 45/19X want to meet up to let me fondle your gear help me decide? In the case of the 19X, can anybody explain the whole "doesn't fit magazines" issue?
unless you intend to carry it - i sold 19s and left only 17s. i like the 17 frame way better. if all your old mags are pre-ban in 19 factor - then, well, it makes it more complicated.
and i see 0 reason for a shorter 19 slide on the 17 frame.

size wise a bare stock grip in gen5 is somewhat what an old SF frame was - and you have 3 backstrips to put in there, so it fits everybody after adjustments. i use medium. if you will be on the cleanup party i can bring 17/34 there.

unless you intend to carry it - i sold 19s and left only 17s. i like the 17 frame way better. if all your old mags are pre-ban in 19 factor - then, well, it makes it more complicated.
and i see 0 reason for a shorter 19 slide on the 17 frame.

size wise stock grip in gen5 is somewhat what an old SF frame was - and you have 3 backstrips to put in there, so it fits everybody after adjustments. i use medium. if you will be on the cleanup party i can bring 17/34 there.
I don't have any pre-bans. I'm tall and slim, with oversized dick-beaters (if only the rest would keep up). I plan to carry it, specifically at appendix.

I like the way the 19 frame length carries, but my hands barely fit on the grip. I expect that I'd appreciate the extra room that a full-size grip affords me, and I'm not worried about concealing it. It's that, or I start dreaming about the EDC-X9, but I really don't want to spend WC money.

(Yes, I could also consider the full size MP9, but I'm scared @drgrant will make fun of me.)

after i started to carry p365 i do not look back to that. both 19 and 17 slides are a pain to drive with, for me.
Squeezing into your P-car seems a different calculus than sliding into my Tacoma. If/when I replace my Shield, it'll probably be a P365.

Squeezing into your P-car seems a different calculus than sliding into my Tacoma. If/when I replace my Shield, it'll probably be a P365.
again, not to sing a same song of how the p365 is greater than anything since a sliced bread :) - i shot it several times lately at the steel plates pad next to 25/50 range - and was amazed every time how consistent it is and how easy it hits the dueling tree leaves. it is just a good small gun, and it shoots well - what else to ask for?

but if shot long enough it blisters your hand with a recoil, or course, as it is still small.

again, not to sing a same song of how the p365 is greater than anything since a sliced bread :) - i shot it several times lately at the steel plates pad next to 25/50 range - and was amazed every time how consistent it is and how easy it hits the dueling tree leaves. it is just a good small gun, and it shoots well - what else to ask for?
It's a great gun. Despite its size, my meatpaws manage to handle it ok.
but if shot long enough it blisters your hand with a recoil, or course, as it is still small.
This is why I didn't run the Shield in the 2-day Seeklander class this week...its trigger is better and it's easier to conceal. But the 19 is hard enough to keep my hands on, going smaller isn't going to be any fun. (I think I saw you driving into the club one of the two mornings as we were getting set up.)

I think I saw you driving into the club one of the two mornings as we were getting set up.
yep - went to try out new barrel on the 308, it did not work out well, so, it got shipped back to opticsplanet.
did you like the class? i saw a bunch of people but did not hear a lot of shooting from the pit. :)

did you like the class?
Very much. Tons of learning to internalize. Looking forward to forcing myself to improve as a result. (It also really pushed me up against how much I haven't been practicing.)
i saw a bunch of people but did not hear a lot of shooting from the pit. :)
That part came later.

Just go buy a 45, best handgun glock ever made.

The bulkyness of a 17 frame added to the shorter line of sight of the 19. Stroke of a genius right there. Would've made more sense the other way around. It's all the drawbacks in one (not so small) package. I own Glocks, but this makes no sense whatsoever.
I said the same thing when someone showed me the 19x. I’m thinking the length of the handle is what makes a CC pistol. And extra inch and a half on the barrel doesn’t hurt concealment and improves accuracy, muzzle velocity, etc. put a G17 slide on a G19 frame and we can talk. I can just add a mag extension to stock G19 and basically have a 19x.

I think I've read the forward lug means standard G17 mags don't fit. Is that true? And they do fit the G45?

Nowadays nobody 19Xes anymore they just buy a G45 and avoid all that turkey carving nonsense unless they want that particular 19X appeal lol

Yes, basically the G17 Gen5 mags dont fit a stock 19X. So the haxor mod snacks describes can fix that. But the 9 billion old school 17 mags work in a 19X just fine too, so theres that.

I said the same thing when someone showed me the 19x. I’m thinking the length of the handle is what makes a CC pistol. And extra inch and a half on the barrel doesn’t hurt concealment and improves accuracy, muzzle velocity, etc. put a G17 slide on a G19 frame and we can talk. I can just add a mag extension to stock G19 and basically have a 19x.
I thought that also. After shooting one it just works a lot better then it should. The grip angle on the 17 works better for me then the 19. Even though I have 3x as many rounds though any of my 19s vs my 17. It was really impressive at least for me and the couple of hundred rounds I put through one earlier this year.

Back
Top Bottom