• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New gun for the wife

peterk123

NES Member
I just got a Glock 17 Gen 5 for my for wife. Going to be a christmas present. Go into the shop, give them my license, fill out the form and done. $599 out the door and no sales tax to boot. Holds 17 rounds and can take a 30 round mag. A 30 round mag!!! That will be her birthday present in January.

It is not the prettiest gun but they do shoot well.

I just got a Glock 17 Gen 5 for my for wife. Going to be a christmas present. Go into the shop, give them my license, fill out the form and done. $599 out the door and no sales tax to boot. Holds 17 rounds and can take a 30 round mag. A 30 round mag!!! That will be her birthday present in January.

33rnd happy sticks! Magpul also makes 21 rounders, which don’t hang down very far in a 17.

First gun purchase in America??

Once you pay the $50 for a OEM 33 round mag, and then watch it eat ammo at $25 dollars a fill, and deal with trying to get the last few rounds into the magazine, the novelty will wear off....

Now a couple of 17 round OEM magazines with +2 extenders.... at least you can use them as spares for EDC and they will not jam up on you like the 33 can

1636916629254.png

Once you pay the $50 for a OEM 33 round mag, and then watch it eat ammo at $25 dollars a fill, and deal with trying to get the last few rounds into the magazine, the novelty will wear off....

Now a couple of 17 round OEM magazines with +2 extenders.... at least you can use them as spares for EDC and they will not jam up on you like the 33 can

I have a couple of 33 round OEM mags. They're great for the PCC, and since I load my own ammo, it doesn't cost anything like 25$.

That being said - I agree with @appraiser; I'd buy a couple more factory mags; I wouldn't even bother with the extenders unless one of you are going to shoot it in USPSA Carry Optic.

Magpul also makes 21 and 27 rd sticks. I prefer those over the 30 or 33 rds. Actually for my G45 the 21 rounders are near perfect for a back up belt mounted mag.

Get a Talon Grip (rubber) grip wrap and a decent flat faced trigger kit, and then leave it alone besides feeding and cleaning it.

Any girl I've dated I always brought to the range and gave her a Glock 19 gen 4 to try out. If she limp wristed it and caused stovepipes and doesn't learn how to properly grip something, she getting let go lol. Very important skill for a partner to know how to handle a weapon properly

I have not read all replies and posts prior to mine.

That being said, IMHO, This is destined for total failure.

My wife decided on her own to train, and then purchase her "class" pistol, and then later, her carry pistol, and then later, several itinerarations of the "right carry pistol for her".

First criteria: the pistol or revolver that fits right in their hand. Then there are many, many other evaluations for THAT PERSON to detrmine.

It's like picking the right purse, shoe, carry knife, or other thing for your spouse.

In my situation, I gave my input from time to time, but ultimately the selection she made was based on what she herself did felt was right in her strong arm grip hand, what felt right when actually firing it, follow up shots, when racking it, when holstering or un holstering it, best fast sight alignment for her, easiest for malfunction drills, most natural to her for reloading, etc., etc,., etc...... among many other variables.

Those are a whole Lotta variables that the non carrying person of that particular firearm, cannot possibly decide for someone else.

My wife has lots of firearms training and far more self defense training than me and most on this forum have , but what I think is a great carry gun for me and most others, simply won't work for her.

Last edited:
Any girl I've dated I always brought to the range and gave her a Glock 19 gen 4 to try out. If she limp wristed it and caused stovepipes and doesn't learn how to properly grip something, she getting let go lol. Very important skill for a partner to know how to handle a weapon properly

I guess you’re single then?

My wife shoots my G17’s lights out. 100 yards on the steel no problem. its an incredibly easy pistol to shoot and fits just about every hand size including tiny hands.

there is a lot of overthinking in this thread
OP is a felon
wives hate glocks

at least it won’t go bang in the holster like a P320

4273846588_037d3c811d_b-jpg.542474
AUN4fRTEQuHqIiMNA5hCHFd6GT0BnaLsrvQ31lW0cSoU77gm1-NwhBqj30CuoDMEopeI2eMllkztCCr_ovLiL3_OGFFNeQjeaidmd9J1OBrAJ-9Z64vday2Sscrjo5XUB7RzugFTzb5YXJcsa0tNCYSqrFc9NxhW_vMH-V2hyy1nOXBrsIcRXqsE0a96ULiOOPltI50AUhnrBg4NxBV6NaQ1qRrV2e1b

I was THINKING it, but I wasn’t going to say it.View attachment 542477View attachment 542478

OP, just for formalities sake, how did you answer question 1 on your background check?
What straw? You know it's legal to purchase a firearm as a gift, right? The correct answer to 21.a in that case is "yes," because you are in fact "the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s)"

For more, here's some free legal advicec from US Law Shield (from 2018, so it refers to the old question numbers)

Anyone who needs a 30 round magazine for their wife needs to spend more time at the range.

Q. What type of gun should I get for my wife?
A. Dunno, how big is she?

I just got a 16 gauge double barrel shotgun for my wife, best trade I ever made.

Thanks - try the veal.

Back
Top Bottom