• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NEW- Gun Grab Bill Six-member conference committee to decide Legislature's gun control proposal

Jdc4444

NES Member

Six-member committee to decide Legislature's gun control proposal​

By Amanda Keane Boston
PUBLISHED 4:46 PM ET Mar. 20, 2024

BOSTON — Both the House and Senate sent three members to be on the conference committee which will try to find a way to get a gun reform bill that both chambers can agree on.

What You Need To Know

• The six-member committee includes Worcester 18th Republican Rep. Joseph McKenna
  • The house has a 129 page bill, the senate 49 pages
  • Often the conference committee will vote to make meetings private
  • They will meet again next week, and as of right now will keep it open to the public

Rep. Michael Day (D- 31st Middlesex) who has been spear heading the legislation in the house, a 129-page bill, wants to get something passed before summer, when gun violence tends to increase in the state.
“We got to get this done as expeditiously as possible and I'll leave it at that,” Day said.
The six-member committee includes Worcester 18th Republican Rep. Joseph McKenna.
McKenna was one of only a few house members voting against the bill when it was in the house, now he says his goal is to make sure that lawful gun owners are considered in this discussion.
“I think we need to be very careful that we don't infringe too heavily on the rights of those who are protected by the Second Amendment. And that's what I hope to bring to the table, is some voice for restraint. And some voice for protecting constitution,” said McKenna.
The Senate had a much shorter bill, 49 pages, but they do believe that overall there are some similarities, like banning ghost guns and increasing resources for law enforcement.
The Democrats have a super majority in both the House and Senate; Republican voices often say they often feel overshadowed. But for Rep. McKenna, this is a unique opportunity to be heard.
“I'm realistic in it. You know, I'm a realist in understanding that there are numbers 4 to 2 Democrat to Republican on the conference committee and 5 to 1 on those who voted for the respective bill in the chamber,” said McKenna. “So, I understand the math behind what I'm hoping to accomplish, but that doesn't mean that I don't stand up and fight for what I believe is right and what I believe that line needs to be.”
Often the conference committee will vote to make meetings private. They will meet again next week, and as of right now will keep it open to the public.

“We got to get this done as expeditiously as possible and I'll leave it at that,” Day said

^ Yup, that says it all.

McKenna might be a voice of reason, but: "...I think we need to be very careful that we don't infringe too heavily on the rights of those who are protected by the Second Amendment."

I think he chose those words on purpose. He knows it’s all infringing and he wants that verbiage describing what the state house is doing. He’s up against a super-majority, so there’s not much he can do other than try to bring light to the infringement.

Would love for them to be pressed on the statistics that show legal gun owner violence increasing in the summer
I always wondered if you could request a FOIA with the percentage of people with valid LtC committing crimes with a firearm compared to people without a valid LtC.

As far as I know they do not keep that statistic. I wonder why.

I always wondered if you could request a FOIA with the percentage of people with valid LtC committing crimes with a firearm compared to people without a valid LtC.

As far as I know they do not keep that statistic. I wonder why.
I’m sure they have the data, but for us peasants it’s not available because it is likely not in their favor. About 99% of the stuff that makes the news is solicited to the general public as a ‘ghost gun’ or ‘illegally possessed’ or the assailant get charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and they slide it in the end, which 2 of the 3 state that they don’t have a LTC, the first suggests that it just doesn’t have a serial number, which could also be because one of the later, im guessing most LTC holders don’t carry a firearm that could create issues for themselves…

Would love for them to be pressed on the statistics that show legal gun owner violence increasing in the summer

I doubt it's specific to guns. ALL crime rises in the summer outside the tropics, and there are a million studies about it.

As for "legal gun owner violence," well... that's not a problem anymore if this bill gets passed. Since a bunch of them will at that point be doing illegal things.

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

I doubt it's specific to guns. ALL crime rises in the summer outside the tropics, and there are a million studies about it.
Everyone knows ice cream causes crime, not summer. Geeze, teach, get it right.

As for "legal gun owner violence," well... that's not a problem anymore if this bill gets passed. Since a bunch of them will at that point be doing illegal things.

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+
Were they waiting until it passes? Must've missed that memo.
Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

How many threads are there going to be on this subject?
OP is "helping" to "drive traffic" because this place is just too dead.

McKenna might be a voice of reason, but: "...I think we need to be very careful that we don't infringe too heavily on the rights of those who are protected by the Second Amendment."
I almost died laughing when I read this.

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed too heavily upon”

Please, MA gun owners, do everything you can to make a mockery of this shit head and get him out of office.

49 pages. 129 pages. I have a recommendation. Put both bills into a shredder. One of those crosscut jobbies. Get a good scale. Weigh out HALF of the scrap. File that, as is. Problem solved.

I hate to break it to him but the entire thing is designed to f*ck over those protected by the second amendment and ZERO to do with crime prevention.

“I think we need to be very careful that we don't infringe too heavily on the rights of those who are protected by the Second Amendment. And that's what I hope to bring to the table, is some voice for restraint. And some voice for protecting constitution,” said McKenna.

WTF???

WTF???

Imagine if he said that about any other amendment.

but infringe nonetheless...

"We don't know what anti-gun, anti civil rights bill we're gonna have, but dad gum it there WILL BE ONE! It's for the children"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom