New HAM with technician license looking for actual experience

wdemr67

NES Member
Hello,
I have my technician license and a BaoFeng UV-5RE handheld radio. I have been listening in but not transmitting yet. I am looking for any people willing to show a beginner a few things or maybe a club in the area where I might be able to meet more experienced people to help me in learning what I am doing. I am located in Blackstone. Eventually I want to upgrade my equipment but looking to get some experience first.
Thanks,
Bill

The MMRA has 22 repeaters. There's a 2 meter repeater in Mendon at 146.610 and can link to a bunch of other repeaters.
The offset is -600 and the tone is 146.2
Check out their website for more info. www.mmra.org
The club has a lot to offer, people are friendly and happy to help.
-Harvey

Congrats on license. Listen to a couple of local repeaters and jump into the conversation, you got the license to transit. Listening doesn't require a license. From my experience most people are friendly and willing to help.

Find Local repeaters on repeaterbook.com
find a local club on arrl.com/find-a-club

Hello,
I have my technician license and a BaoFeng UV-5RE handheld radio. I have been listening in but not transmitting yet. I am looking for any people willing to show a beginner a few things or maybe a club in the area where I might be able to meet more experienced people to help me in learning what I am doing. I am located in Blackstone. Eventually I want to upgrade my equipment but looking to get some experience first.
Thanks,
Bill

Good luck with your BaoFeng UV-5RE. It is the most difficult radio to program that I have ever seen. Take all the advice you can get. Mine is back in the box that it came in. The instructions seem to be written in phonetic Mandarin Chinese.

Welcome to ham radio. I worked in Canada for 7
years. Up there, ham radio is used by home schoolers, trappers, fishermen, guides and long haul truckers.They have awesome repeater systems.

Would there be any interest in a NES Central Mass Ham Radio meetup? I got my technician license a couple years ago but havent done much with it. I have a Yaesu FT-60, would love to get some hands on experience on using it and eventually take the General exam. I actually took it after I passed the Technician exam but missed the cut by a couple questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Would there be any interest in a NES Central Mass Ham Radio meetup? I got my technician license a couple years ago but havent done much with it. I have a Yaesu FT-60, would love to get some hands on experience on using it and eventually take the General exam. I actually took it after I passed the Technician exam but missed the cut by a couple questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
If you missed the General by only a couple questions, keep that ball rolling! Just do one or 2 practice tests every other night. By the time the next test session rolls around you'll be ready. Having the General opens up a whole new world of things to do (and money to spend[devil]). Don't get too hung up on the theory. If you stick with ham radio the theory will come in time. Just be sure to learn the rules and procedures enough to stay out of trouble.

Oh, I think an NES ham meetup is a great idea by I'm tucked up in the north east corner of MA. probably 2hrs away.

Back
Top Bottom